News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Our Europe Adventure.

Started by Kiwifruit, Tuesday, 18 April 2023, 09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwifruit

Been looking forward to this trip for a whole lifetime. Land at Heathrow on the 7th of May, a day at my brother's then to Belfast, Irish in Oz has kindly offered to pick us up from the airport on the 9th. Got some accommodation in Portrush. Watch the Northwest 200 then pretty much two weeks in Ireland before heading to the Isle of Man for practice week at the TT. That's where the plans finish, need to get off the Island but am figuring it should be easier to get off than on. If not we'll be sleeping under a silver tinfoil blanket at a bus stop.
Looking at buying a bike in the UK, sniffing round a secondhand 650 V-Strom with top box and panniers to continue our journey. The idea is to sell it when we're done at the end of July.
So it's our intention to head for the continent. We would like visit as many places as we can with our intention to seek out places not necessarily on the beaten track.
This is where you blokes come in. I have spoken with GSX Barmy around some of the requirements needed to take a bike over to Europe. If you guys have any advice for us it would be greatly appreciated. Places of interest to visit, places you may recommend staying clear of, you could ask your wives or lady friends about places they have enjoyed visiting. I have been informed by management that it's not all about me, so your input is invited.
I'd enjoy putting some faces to the names I communicate with on this forum so if you would like to PM me your contact details who knows we might be able to meet up for a drink or a bite to eat.
 :cheers:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Jeykey

Visiting Portugal too or only up north?

Rynglieder

As you know I've had several trips of a couple of weeks around Europe, I must have hit about 16 countries by now.

There is so much to do and see, some areas are good for the joy of riding a motorcycle, and many places (e.g. city centres) which are good to visit but not much fun on a bike.

I'm sure that if I put my mind to it I could sort out a mega plan for you, but time will still be limited and only you can know the sort of thing you want to accomplish.

If I had to recommend just one thing in Europe it would be to have a few nights in the Mosel Valley in Germany. There's a trip report from 2017 on here somewhere, you may have read it.

I just haven't to round to making my own plans for a tour this year yet and I may end up just doing a week in the Mosel myself, let me know if that may be of interest.

Pete.

Kiwifruit

Quote from: Jeykey on Wednesday, 19 April  2023, 04:23 AMVisiting Portugal too or only up north?

Would like to visit Portugal but not sure I can enter Spain to get there unless things have changed. I'm not covid vaxed.

Jeykey

Quote from: Kiwifruit on Wednesday, 19 April  2023, 05:03 AM
Quote from: Jeykey on Wednesday, 19 April  2023, 04:23 AMVisiting Portugal too or only up north?

Would like to visit Portugal but not sure I can enter Spain to get there unless things have changed. I'm not covid vaxed.
OK. If you plan to come down south PM me.

Kiwifruit

Thank you Jeykey will do for sure  :onya:

Hooli

Quote from: Kiwifruit on Wednesday, 19 April  2023, 05:03 AM

You should be fine.

This is our official advice https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-requirements

sam61

Quote from: Kiwifruit on Tuesday, 18 April  2023, 09:21 PMBeen looking forward to this trip for a whole lifetime. Land at Heathrow on the 7th of May, a day at my brother's then to Belfast, Irish in Oz has kindly offered to pick us up from the airport on the 9th. Got some accommodation in Portrush. Watch the Northwest 200 then pretty much two weeks in Ireland before heading to the Isle of Man for practice week at the TT. That's where the plans finish, need to get off the Island but am figuring it should be easier to get off than on. If not we'll be sleeping under a silver tinfoil blanket at a bus stop.
Looking at buying a bike in the UK, sniffing round a secondhand 650 V-Strom with top box and panniers to continue our journey. The idea is to sell it when we're done at the end of July.
So it's our intention to head for the continent. We would like visit as many places as we can with our intention to seek out places not necessarily on the beaten track.
This is where you blokes come in. I have spoken with GSX Barmy around some of the requirements needed to take a bike over to Europe. If you guys have any advice for us it would be greatly appreciated. Places of interest to visit, places you may recommend staying clear of, you could ask your wives or lady friends about places they have enjoyed visiting. I have been informed by management that it's not all about me, so your input is invited.
I'd enjoy putting some faces to the names I communicate with on this forum so if you would like to PM me your contact details who knows we might be able to meet up for a drink or a bite to eat.
 :cheers:
If youre still looking for a decent vstrom my old ones up for sale by a a shop named motorbikes4all. Got 68000 on it and still purrs like a new one. Done a few bits on it too and its only up for sale cheap.
I just found my dream bike... Search for yours https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202304045956050?advertising-location=at_bikes&atmobcid=soc5&fromsra&include-delivery-option=on&make=Suzuki&model=V-Strom%20650&price-to=5000
Thats why i always ride alone

Kiwifruit

Kiwifruit

Kiwifruit

Not long to go now. Wife is on the first dummy run packing. Yours truly has an untouched case in the corner. It's smaller than one Givi side pannier ??
Unfortunately despite my best endeavors I cannot get motorcycle insurance for a non resident. Bit disappointed by that. You can just rock up here, probably need an international license, buy a bike and head for the hills with no insurance.
We are just going to 'wing it' the cost of hiring a bike with insurance excess cover is a bit radical for a month or so. Think we will do bus, train, fly and rent a bike for two or three days when we feel like it. Be neet to ride some of the Alpine Passes.
Doesn't seem likely I will catch up with 'GSXKing' which is a bit of a shame. We will both be in Ireland they are  on an airport stopover in Dublin, we will be in Belfast. Looking forward to checking out Joey's museum. 

Kiwifruit

Well today was leaving day. Now not so. We have had to cancel our trip. We are quite distraught, even typing this makes me feel quite sick. I've been a diabetic since I was 24 and have issues associated with that but more recently I have been to the quack because of a shortness of breath and fatigue. I have not been able to get an angiogramme and speaking with a couple of mates, one of which nearly died but who have had similar symptoms resulting in them having stents. So on doctors advice have decided not to travel. I know I could not walk too far like I am and it would not be fair to run the risk of leaving Louise standing in Ireland while I get jump started. Now I have a day cancelling and trying to minimize our financial losses.

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: Kiwifruit on Saturday, 06 May  2023, 07:02 AMWell today was leaving day. Now not so. We have had to cancel our trip. We are quite distraught, even typing this makes me feel quite sick. I've been a diabetic since I was 24 and have issues associated with that but more recently I have been to the quack because of a shortness of breath and fatigue. I have not been able to get an angiogramme and speaking with a couple of mates, one of which nearly died but who have had similar symptoms resulting in them having stents. So on doctors advice have decided not to travel. I know I could not walk too far like I am and it would not be fair to run the risk of leaving Louise standing in Ireland while I get jump started. Now I have a day cancelling and trying to minimize our financial losses.

That's a shit, but obviously health comes first.
All the best. Trips and travel can be rebooked and done later, health isn't something to put on hold.

All the best to you.

GSXKING

??? Dang Col that is a real shame however I concur with Tony health first 🤞🤞🤞 hopefully you can reschedule 🙏🙏🙏
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

gsxbarmy

Absolutely health has to come first - but a real shame you've had to cancel - hopefully your insurance will cover the costs and you can re-book
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk