News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

To Lithgow Small Arms Factory.

Started by Taniwha, Saturday, 12 January 2019, 08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taniwha

In March Ive got a big ride coming up, 1900ish kays in 4 days. So I've go to start conditioning training. Last weekend I grabbed a couple of mates and took off up the Highway to Lithgow, Only 300ish kays but a good day was had.

Two of us left my place at 0830, and collected #3 at Eastern Creek BP. M5-M7-M2 to the Blue Mountains and then Great Western Highway to Lithgow.
The ride was Uneventful, but s-l-o-w.
Shane, on the ZX10, said he was slow because he doesn't like corners. ?!
Nathan, on the '17 H-D Breakout said he was slow because he's on a Hardly.
I told them I was slow because "I'm stuck with you two old women!"   :rofl2:

Arrived in Lithgow at the Small Arms Museum and spent a nice couple of hours wondering through the exhibits. Snapping one or possibly two pics.
(169pics)

We were chatting to the guide about where to go for lunch afterwards and he recommended Old Dennis' fish shop.
"Not New Dennis', that's just up the road, keep going till you get to Old Dennis' thats the one you're after. I recommend the Kevin Pack".
And a bloody good feed it was too. Two fish, two potato fritters, scoop of chips, six bucks.
None of us finished it.  :P
I can whole heartedly recommend Old Dennis' you won't be disappointed.

Back on the bikes, we came back down Bells Line of Road. The day was hot, 34c, but as we descended the last 24kays from about Colo Heights (284m) to Richmond North (19m) we could feel the temperature climb to 42c. The tar was softening enough to become a hazard. Also the few lightning strikes we could see in the distance were a little concerning.

Stopped in Richmond north for a quick drink, multiple Gatorades, Beer would've killed us in that heat.
(Also we were very cleverly wearing many kilos of black leather. Fantastic idea that. 😓)

Ride continued along apace until Windsor. When the weather took a decided turn for the worst.
(5% chance of rain suddenly became 95%)
A particularly gusty NNE blew up and brought scattered showers. I could feel sand and small debris bouncing off my gloves and visor, poor old Nathan, (no gloves, open face) and Shane (visor up, no glasses) were having a tough go of it.
Shane peeled off at Sunnyholt and M7 for home while Nathan and I decided to get while the getting was good. M7 was good, wet but no rain. The M5 was not. Raining and unpleasant most of the way. We ~might~ have gone just a teeny bit quicker than the sweeney might have liked.

Off the M5 at Fairford and the rain steadied off. The last 8kays were particulary wet. But the bike felt quite solid and planted on the new Michelin pilot power 5s.
K7 B&W, '84 GPZ550, '12 ZX2,

Mick_J

Good to see a proper gun, not these .223/5.56 girlie guns in use now.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Bob

I thought I Oz you were not allowed more than 2 bike to ride together because of bikie gangs

Snapey

So many times I've ridden past the Small Arms entrance & never stopped for a look ... one day maybe.

I'm interested in where your 1900km ride takes you in March, especially if your two mates from the Lithgow ride are going. With Kawasaki man not liking corners & the Harley's handling woes then I hope you don't have the Omeo Hwy on your list. ;)
If you look like your passport photo then you're too sick to travel.

Taniwha

Quote from: mjgt on Saturday, 12 January  2019, 08:18 PM
Good to see a proper gun, not these .223/5.56 girlie guns in use now.

Yes. The L1A1 SLR The Imperial version of The Right Arm of the Free World. My all time favourite long arm. The move from NZ to Oz meant I had to sell mine as none of my family or friends had an appropriate licence.

Quote from: Bob on Sunday, 13 January  2019, 02:42 AM
I thought I Oz you were not allowed more than 2 bike to ride together because of bikie gangs

Nah, It's alright. Only one Hardly. Bikies only ride Hardlys dontchaknow. 😁

Quote from: Snapey on Sunday, 13 January  2019, 02:55 AM
So many times I've ridden past the Small Arms entrance & never stopped for a look ... one day maybe.

I'm interested in where your 1900km ride takes you in March, especially if your two mates from the Lithgow ride are going. With Kawasaki man not liking corners & the Harley's handling woes then I hope you don't have the Omeo Hwy on your list. ;)

Well worth a stop if you're into that sort of thing. Also have a large display of tools they used and non military products made between and after the wars.

Sydney to Hay, return, 1400ish kays.
Shag Gregory Memorial Poker Run. 3-500kays.
Just myself and the Hardly.
And Her Indoors in the car.

The Omeo sounds pretty good. Definitely going on the list.
K7 B&W, '84 GPZ550, '12 ZX2,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk