News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

PAIRS removal.

Started by Alan Moreton, Saturday, 12 September 2020, 10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Moreton

Afternoon all.

Thought I might just mention that I have eventually got around to removing the PAIRS on my 2003 60,000 miler, that i have had from new.

I was getting a slightly jerky motion at about 30 mph which according to the forum could be attributed to the PAIRS. 

So I obtained a kit which include the two alloy plates, new bolts and the two blanking bungs needed.  The longest part of the job is popping the tank off!  I thought that the new plates had a quite a thin mating surface, so elected to re-fit the reed valve holders after removing the reed valves themselves.

I have been very pleased with the result.  The engine is much smoother especially at the low to mid range (ie: 30 mph in 2 or 3rd gear).  So I'm well pleased.

Of course this won't come as a surprise to those orgsters who have already done the mod.  :grin:

Keep safe

Chip.
I have a 2003 GSX1400 owned since new (Blue and White of course).  I have a 1977 Suzuki GT380 café racer and A Japanese import Yamaha XG250 Tricker.  I'm interested in anything mechanical.  Was an aircraft technician / inspector, but I took early retirement - because I could!

numbskull

The symptoms sound just like mine. Feels like a very subtle misfire and makes riding slowly around town a bit tiring.

Could you provide a link for the kit?

Notty

The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

gsxbarmy

@numbskull If you read the PAIRS removal thread, there are 3-4 links for kits throughout the thread itself, choose which one you prefer (thanks @Notty I've added the link above to the end of the thread)

https://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=310.0
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

GSX1400Convert

A very interesting read, thanks for the links on previous threads. I have an aftermarket 4/2 and can say in all honesty, the only time I have noticed backfiring and popping was while fanging it at very high altitude, higher than anything we have in Australia  :mwink:

I wouldn't mind making the mod anyway.

The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there's no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Alan Moreton

Quote from: numbskull on Monday, 14 September  2020, 09:31 PM
The symptoms sound just like mine. Feels like a very subtle misfire and makes riding slowly around town a bit tiring.

Could you provide a link for the kit?
Hi Numbskull.  Apologies for a late reply. I've been away for a few days.  I found this on e-bay.  Very quick response and good comms with updates on the delivery.  Arrived as promised.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/smartmoto_electronics

Hope this helps, if you haven't sorted it already.

Regards

Chip
I have a 2003 GSX1400 owned since new (Blue and White of course).  I have a 1977 Suzuki GT380 café racer and A Japanese import Yamaha XG250 Tricker.  I'm interested in anything mechanical.  Was an aircraft technician / inspector, but I took early retirement - because I could!

grog

Reading today, GSXR people use PAIRS as a pump to create negative vacuum in crank case. Worth 2 bhp they say. Never heard of b4 today, have a google. Not something i want but a good read/can of worms.

GSX1400Convert

Quote from: grog on Tuesday, 22 September  2020, 07:57 PM
Reading today, GSXR people use PAIRS as a pump to create negative vacuum in crank case. Worth 2 bhp they say. Never heard of b4 today, have a google. Not something i want but a good read/can of worms.

Run a GSXR without any crankcase vacuum, and oil pisses out from cam cover, and anywhere that has a poor seal ............ ask me how I know. OK don't ask, you've already worked it out.
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there's no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

grog

Block off crank breather instead of PAIRS hose, see how much smoke a 14 can make. No idea how i know that.  :laugh:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk