News:

Welcome GSX1400 enthusiasts !

Main Menu

One Year on Sunday

Started by Speedy1959, Tuesday, 22 August 2023, 04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedy1959

This coming Sunday (27th) I will have owned my bike for exactly 1 year.
The mileage is 16,666 (spooky)
When I bought her it was 6,300..
In that time she has had 3 oil & filter changes (8k, 12k and 16k).
So 10,366 miles in the first year.. It would have been higher than that if we had a half decent summer!
In that time I have had very little trouble..
The one thing that comes to mind was the mystery VERY rich running where all 4 spark plugs were black and sooty. My mate following said there was smoke every so often..
After reading on here that a mucky cam position sensor can cause these symptoms, I removed this sensor to check for debris.. There was the smallest amount of what looked like sawdust stuck to it.
Gave it a good clean with brake cleaner and not had that trouble return since.

I did alter the throttle position sensor as I had the common jerky throttle response that many have had.
Much, much better now..
Did the PAIR valve removal as well (mainly for a clean uncluttered top end of the engine). I have kept this just in case I ever sell (not likely).
Oh and I also replaced the front Calipers for the 4 pot version.
All in all I have nothing but praise for her.
In the past 8 years I have had 13 bikes and this bike still remains my favourite all round.

Here's to another year.

S

GSXKING

Celebrate my friend that's quite an achievement EH @Notty  :stir:  :stir:

But seriously  :hat:  when did you do most miles ?

You're much more mechanically adept than I, those items you've listed is my mechanics domain.
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

grog

Well done Speedy. I find it so strange, had mine a while and never had those niggly probs you have. Lucky i guess.

BanditsHigh

Quote from: Speedy1959 on Tuesday, 22 August  2023, 04:55 AMIn the past 8 years I have had 13 bikes and this bike still remains my favourite all round.

Here's to another year.

S

Bit late to the party, but totally agree with you ... I'm nearing my 20th year of riding 14s and still love them ... will most likely ride'm until I kick the bucket ... in fact already did, but I came back  :lol:

All the best ... Barry
Still alive ... just!!

Rynglieder

I wonder if ignorance is truly bliss?

My GSX celebrated its 20th Birthday last week, I still remember the salesman wheeling it out of the showroom and me saying "bloody hell, was it that big when I ordered it?" There's very little ever been done to it, I just jump on and ride it and probably don't worry enough about what care I should be taking of it - it is just quick and smooth every time.

There's been a few tyres, a new battery after 14 years and earlier this year I treated it to a new chain and sprocket as the original had done 40,000 miles. Oil changes? maybe three or four, just before a big trip - I'm very neglectful.

PAIRS and TPS are all dark arts to me, I'll continue leaving alone until it complains loudly enough.  :smile2:

hard road

Quote from: Rynglieder on Tuesday, 12 September  2023, 03:16 AMI wonder if ignorance is truly bliss?

My GSX celebrated its 20th Birthday last week, I still remember the salesman wheeling it out of the showroom and me saying "bloody hell, was it that big when I ordered it?" There's very little ever been done to it, I just jump on and ride it and probably don't worry enough about what care I should be taking of it - it is just quick and smooth every time.

There's been a few tyres, a new battery after 14 years and earlier this year I treated it to a new chain and sprocket as the original had done 40,000 miles. Oil changes? maybe three or four, just before a big trip - I'm very neglectful.

PAIRS and TPS are all dark arts to me, I'll continue leaving alone until it complains loudly enough.  :smile2:

lol yeah they are a big bike, im building a Zed1000 with a bandit engine atm and parked next to the GSX14 it seams tiny  :whatever: 

bladey

Yeh I remember picking my K5 up and looking at how big it was... I'm sure I pooped a lil  :grin: Prior to that I was riding, and still do, a ZX6R, so it was a huge size upgrade! 

...Saying that after an hour on her... the size was only reflected in the grunt of the bike, physical size was outa mind, outa sight.

Roo

Went to gathering of old Production bike racers last Saturday.... A good mate had his 73 H2 mach4 in the shed......
What amazed me was how small the H2 was.  We thought they were big bikes in their day......  The gsx1400 would look huge next to one... ???

Speedy1959

Quote from: Roo on Thursday, 14 September  2023, 09:44 AMWent to gathering of old Production bike racers last Saturday.... A good mate had his 73 H2 mach4 in the shed......
What amazed me was how small the H2 was.  We thought they were big bikes in their day......  The gsx1400 would look huge next to one... ???
At my local Bike meetup (Wednesday evenings) there are a couple of the original Honda Gold Wings (1000cc)..
I was very surprised to see how small they are when I park next to them. Back in the day they seemed HUGE.

S.

Irish in Oz

I have quite a few 80's model superbikes and they are all small even with full fairing compared to the 1400, the biggest difference is when you throw your leg over they are so easy to get on in comparison.

grog

Size of 14 sort of ruins every other bike i try. They all just seem too small. I can remember first look at mine, gigantic i thought, tank width, ridiculous. Now all normal but others comment. Other hand, rode Rocket 3 for 2 weeks, getting back on 14 it felt small. 

Hooli

14s feel normal bike size to me, but feel small & light after riding my HD for a while.

Phill P

I've looked at a few other bikes I like, Z1000, gsx s 750 that sort of thing and they all look small.

GSXKING

I think it's Big Geordie 🧐 he makes a GSX look like a mini bike 🤨
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Eric GSX1400K3

My 1400 feels small after riding the K1300GT.  Whenever I'm out on the 1400 with my wife as pillion, she comments how much larger the more modern bikes seen.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk