News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Quick release Fuel shut off valve

Started by Speedy1959, Sunday, 01 August 2021, 01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedy1959

Hi All,

The GSX1400 is more generous with the length of the fuel hose coming from the tank to the Injector rail..
On my Honda it is very tight and also not easy to remove for when removing the tank..
However I know some of you with a GSX1400 have other bikes and so this "Mod" may well be useful for some of you...
Copied and modified from the CB1300 forum, but its MY original post so I gave myself permission!
On my Honda the ID of the hose is 8mm.. Please check what the ID is on the Suzuki !

I have been meaning to do this for quite some time..
That is, to install a Quick Release fuel valve..
I did a load of research before I bought this one (Below).. Not cheap at £25 BUT you need to make sure it is designed for high pressure (fuel injected) systems..
There are loads of cheaper alternatives out there BUT when I questioned the sellers they said "DEFINITELY NOT for Fuel injected systems.. Intended for Carburetor Bikes only"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123470486940

The valve has a one way shut off valve.. I know we don't need them for our bikes as the fuel pump cuts off the supply but there is no harm in overkill.
The main larger part of the valve goes nearest the fuel tank..

I am very impressed at the quality and the ease of use.. when you pull back on the knurled ring it pings out with quite a force!
It's also rated to "Above 10 Bar" which is more than enough for our systems.

1st Photo shows the Brass Valve and dimensions

2nd Photo shows the groove on the male part that is gripped by claws and makes a totally sealed connection.

I got the hose from here: ( Ethanol ready for up to 50% Ethanol (God forbid!!).
https://www.thehosemaster.co.uk/r9-unlea...fuel-hose/

Be careful when buying hose.. There are loads of cheap substandard hoses out there.. Again I did a ton of research before buying.

I intend to extend the length of the hose under the tank as its too short in my opinion for easy DIY..
On my previous Suzuki GSX1400 the hose was long enough so that you could pull the tank backwards, then rotate it 90 degrees and rest it across the frame rails.. I intend to have that option on my bike.. Or I can use the QR valve.. At least I will have the choice !

3rd Photo shows the new "R9" Ethanol ready hose connected to the Honda Quick connector, now fitted with an "Ear clip" to make it look more Profesh!
As a matter of fact there would be nothing to stop you from fitting the new hose WITHOUT using the Quick Connector at all!!
Just push the hose (8mm ID) onto the stub and secure with a decent fuel hose jubilee clip or an "Ear clip".

4th photo shows the new set up showing the new hose and the "Ear clips"

5th Photo shows the QR fitting on the injector side..

6th photo shows the older set up with the Fuel hose clips I originally used. I changed these to the "Ear" clips as they are neater and look more original.

This mod makes it almost a joy to remove the fuel tank..
On the Honda youre supposed to remove the Banjo bolt that attaches the fuel hose connector to the underside of the tank.. A difficult process due to the lack of length of the original hose..
Replacing the connector back to the tank is a real pain in the @ss.. It took me almost 40 minutes just to get the Banjo bolt started because you barely have room to get your hand under the tank due to the short length of the fuel hose, and trying to align the Banjo bolt at 90 degrees to the threads !

So all in all a VERY worthwhile mod, that I can totally recommend!

S

seth

Great mod buddy 👍
The link for the hose master  doesn't work takes you to the site but not the part .🤔
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

grog

Very good Speedy. 👏 The JIS clips onto 14 tank are a PIA. With external filter also easy, just undo clamp at filter, slide hose off.

Speedy1959

seth

only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk