Help with bike lying up

Started by Suzuki boi, Wednesday, 13 June 2018, 06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suzuki boi

Well lads,
Got meself a gsx1400 as a project bike to keep meself busy.
Tank is rusted too bits,holes forming when you tap it!
No battery
Front forks need changing which will be fun!
And need TLC else where.
Question tho, eventually got the spark plugs out with a bit of effort. Been looking and seen its best to put a table spoon of oil into the cylinders by the spark plug holes to lubricate it,good idea?
Also want to get it started and make sure it actually runs and starts.
Any tips on getting it running temporally Without a tank and fuel pump?

ARH

I don't think its possible ... I think the injection system needs the pressure from the pump.   I am sure someone far smarter than me will be along shortly tho...  :P

Andre

Sounds like a big piece of work.

No to the oil through spark plug holes. If you want to lube before start, disconnect fuel pump electric connector and crank the engine with the starter.

No chance to get her started without fuel pump as you need a fuel pressure of about 43 psi.

KiwiCol

That sounds like a hell of a job you've got on your hands.  Any pics of the poor sad thing? 

The forks are one of the easier things to do.  Starting without a tank or fuel pump?, not going to happen.  Because it's fuel injected, it needs pressure to run. So, you could make up some jury rig of a tank & substitute pump or see if you can borrow one from a local owner.  You'd also need a battery.

I'd be going through things & checking their condition prior to 'seeing if she'll go'  The oil will no doubt need to be changed & filter too, hell, heaps of things.

Tell us a bit more about it, is it a wreck?  has it been abandoned & left languishing out in all weathers for ages? Is it seized? (oil down plug hole question) How many miles has it got on it? When was the last know time it was running?  What model (or year) is it?  All these little things will assist us to assist you in getting it running again.  There are plenty of bikes here that have come back from near 'death' .  The engine is a great lump, but not indestructible.

😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Suzuki boi

Thanks lads I figured it wouldn't work without a pump. This my first fuel injection bike,all previous were carbs and could start it with just gravity!
The original pump was in the tank and the fuel sender so there fairly rusted.
I'm give the pump 12v and see if its still engaging if not there's some on eBay for about €30.
My main goal at the minute is to make sure it starts and actually runs since the previous owner had it lying up for 3 years!!!
Cool so no to the oil in cylinders.
Was told because its lying so long to put oil/diesel in the cylinders to lube the pistons.
Won't bother so.

KiwiCol

I don't like to disagree with Andre, but if it were me, I would put some sort of lube down the plug hole. It's not going to hurt anything, maybe just smoke a bit when it does fire up.
Clean oil & filter & spinning it over on the starter will circulate the oil, but it's that initial cold dry cranking that would concern me.

Suzuki boi

Quote from: KiwiCol on Wednesday, 13 June  2018, 06:33 PM
That sounds like a hell of a job you've got on your hands.  Any pics of the poor sad thing? 

The forks are one of the easier things to do.  Starting without a tank or fuel pump?, not going to happen.  Because it's fuel injected, it needs pressure to run. So, you could make up some jury rig of a tank & substitute pump or see if you can borrow one from a local owner.  You'd also need a battery.

I'd be going through things & checking their condition prior to 'seeing if she'll go'  The oil will no doubt need to be changed & filter too, hell, heaps of things.

Tell us a bit more about it, is it a wreck?  has it been abandoned & left languishing out in all weathers for ages? Is it seized? (oil down plug hole question) How many miles has it got on it? When was the last know time it was running?  What model (or year) is it?  All these little things will assist us to assist you in getting it running again.  There are plenty of bikes here that have come back from near 'death' .  The engine is a great lump, but not indestructible.
I'll post some pics of the poor thing.lol
Its a 02 model.
Previous owner hadn't used it in about 3 years.
He said the engine was perfect before it was left.
He said he left it as it needed a front tyre and didn't get time to go back to it.
When he did go back it he said  there was rust on/in the tank and tried to sort it himself but was a disaster and ruined the tank/pump/fuel sender.
Defo needs oil/ filter change!!
The tanks on these are like hens teeth here!
I've managed to source a 2nd hand tank with a dent and scratch on it for cheap.
Mileage I'm unsure. I still haven't picked a battery up(plan on getting it later today) .
I hooked up my jump starter to it but where the mileage is on the clock is just flashing lines no actual numbers.

T 24

Quote from: Suzuki boi on Wednesday, 13 June  2018, 06:12 PM

Any tips on getting it running temporally Without a tank and fuel pump?
You need a fuel pump, some temporary tank, 3 Bar regulator, return line from regulator and a fuel filter.

Andre

No problem with disagreement here Col :) Always happy for lively discussions. I have no problem  disagreeing with anyone either :cheers:

When you crank her, the oil pump will engage immediately and build oil pressure. Oil gets squirted to all the parts needing it, not just the pistons. The cranking will not put any substantial load on any parts. Sure you can put a little oil don the spark plug holes. Can't hurt but won't do much good in prelubing the pistons/cylinders sufficiently as it will have a hard time getting passed the rings. Cranking will bring the oil right where it is needed (not just the pistons/cyls) in a hurry.

grog

personally id give it a bit of lube down plug holes, will lube up liners. an initial trial to start for a few seconds, spray carby cleaner into air intake.

KiwiCol

Ok, now we know it's not seized or anything & was running fine prior to layup, it changes the pic I have in my head of it. Now I'm inclined to agree with Andre, won't hurt but probably not needed either. Just a spin up with plugs out would be good for it.

She'll go, get a tank, battery & oil / filter & prob new Air cleaner too and give her a whirl. There could be all sorts of gremlins & electric issues with connectors & switches if it's been a long time. Just have to work through them as they come up.

Hooli

I doubt it needs oil down the bores, but a small amount & then turned over without plugs can't hurt. The idea of it is to lube the rings slightly so they don't drag on the bore before the oil throw from the crank gets there. It's a good idea to be sure of not damaging anything.

Personally I'd add a bit of oil down each pot, turn it over by hand (take a side cover off & get a spanner on the crank) a few complete turns should spread the oil out & protect it for ages longer. Then put some plugs back to keep water & moisture out.

Btw, I've known a 14 parked up a lot longer than that which was just started on the button after an oil change & didn't have any issues.

Suzuki boi

Sorry for crappy pics,tough taking them with the little lad in the arms.
1st pic is of what it looked like when I got it into the yard.

Blubber

poor thing.

Obvious case of previousowneritus  :facepalm:
Wreck-it Richard - one of the unDutchables

Hooli

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk