Ignition Advancer Modification

Started by VladTepes, Wednesday, 01 February 2017, 03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

I don't know if you'd notice tbh, I've never tried. Someone with the mod should try it.

The higher octane gives a slower burn, hence it's more knock resistant. Meaning you can run more advance & get a better pressure wave on the cylinder without risking pre-ignition. I believe it also makes the burn more stable so is less affected by piston crown temp etc, but I'm not sure on that.

grog

Healtech GIPRO on mine, 91, 95, 98, totally no difference. Performance or ks/litre. Certainly runs better in lower gears with it fitted, smoother etc. Fitted same to mates Rocket 3, amazing results lower down, even stopped it popping back thru exhaust. Whatever works i reckon. $200 well spent.

Andre

Quote from: Hooli on Wednesday, 29 May  2019, 08:04 PM
The higher octane gives a slower burn, .....

That's a myth all over the Internet. There are many things that affect the burn rate but octane rating isn't one of them.

https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/media/fuel-news/modern-petrol-vintage-engines.pdf

QuoteMost users perceive octane as the most important property of petrol
but in reality the boiling range or vapour forming properties have the major influence on fuel performance. High octane petrol has no influence on combustion quality or burn rates in these engines. It is the effective ratio of air to vaporized fuel in the combustion chamber that matters.

KiwiCol

😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Eric GSX1400K3

Right, so I did this mod following the sage advice on here. I did mark and measure both standard, 2deg and 4 deg advance on the backing plate and then filed the holes in the mounting plate.

Put it all back together, started first go (so at least I did that part right).

Will go for a ride later today, idle seems a lot smoother.....
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Sunday, 25 July  2021, 12:31 PM
Right, so I did this mod following the sage advice on here. I did mark and measure both standard, 2deg and 4 deg advance on the backing plate and then filed the holes in the mounting plate.

Put it all back together, started first go (so at least I did that part right).

Will go for a ride later today, idle seems a lot smoother.....
Oops, forgot to add photos

So S = standard, 2 = 2 degrees advance at 1.74mm from stanard and 4 = 4 degrees advance at 3.49mm from standard. I used a cold chisel to mark the lines, as the pin punch and sharpie marks were not good enough. I tried to measure from the centre point of the backing plate. 
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Eric GSX1400K3

Finally found a hour or 2 spare time and took the 14 out for a long awaited run. Been pretty wet here on the west coast.  Battery fully charged  full tank of fuel a day clear blue skies.

First stop fuel station to check tyre pressures, front was 31psi, rear 33psi.  Set them to 38 front and 40 rear, felt much better.   Accelerating down the onramp and into traffic  the bike felt strong in all gears, no hesitation or hiccups.  Ran on the fwy for a bit then turned off and did a 1 hour loop of secondary roads, the ast bit along the ocean then home.

Happy with the mod, bike feels stronger in lower gears, I've set to 2deg advanced, plus I have a plug in TRE which I haven't removed.

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Sunday, 15 August  2021, 07:55 PM
Finally found a hour or 2 spare time and took the 14 out for a long awaited run. Been pretty wet here on the west coast.  Battery fully charged  full tank of fuel a day clear blue skies.

First stop fuel station to check tyre pressures, front was 31psi, rear 33psi.  Set them to 38 front and 40 rear, felt much better.   Accelerating down the onramp and into traffic  the bike felt strong in all gears, no hesitation or hiccups.  Ran on the fwy for a bit then turned off and did a 1 hour loop of secondary roads, the ast bit along the ocean then home.

Happy with the mod, bike feels stronger in lower gears, I've set to 2deg advanced, plus I have a plug in TRE which I haven't removed.

@Eric GSX1400K3 DO NOT run a TRE and the advancer together - the TRE will already give 4 degrees and with the 2 degree from the mod you've made, 6 degree total is way too much. Suggest removing the TRE immediately!!!!
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Eric GSX1400K3

Righto, will do. Thanks for the heads up.

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: gsxbarmy on Monday, 16 August  2021, 07:36 AM
Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Sunday, 15 August  2021, 07:55 PM

@Eric GSX1400K3 DO NOT run a TRE and the advancer together - the TRE will already give 4 degrees and with the 2 degree from the mod you've made, 6 degree total is way too much. Suggest removing the TRE immediately!!!!

OK so inadvertently did the mod and left my TRE plugged in, as I thought the TRE  only worked in the first 3 gears.  Thanks to @gsxbarmy for the heads up.
No damage to the bike. I unplugged my TRE this morning and rode to work.  So with timing advanced by 2deg and no TRE vs. TRE and 2deg advance or TRE only, I can say that the TRE only gives a smoother ride, so this leads me to say that if no TRE fitted, advance the timing by 4 deg would give you the best result. 

Tonight i will set the backing plate back to 0 and plug my TRE back in and leave it there.

Thanks all.

gsxbarmy

@Eric GSX1400K3 a TRE will work across the first 4 gears; the backplate mod works across all gears.

If you remove the TRE and mod the backplate for 4 degrees advance, that will work the same as a TRE but across all gears..
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

grog

Correct. Exactly why i got Heal Tech, no more advance needed 5&6.

robert

Is there anyone who tested this shit on the dyno and how much? Would be nice to have it on paper instead of gut feelings.

I know that in the past some people said that with or without TRE there's no difference on the dyno.

Hooli

From memory of people dynoing them, there's hardly any more power. It's just a quicker throttle response.

GSXKING

If you could actually increase horsepower this way and realise it, you'd be a bloody MotoGP rider  :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk