News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Spark Plugs replacement - help please

Started by Athelstanexxx, Tuesday, 06 April 2021, 11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Athelstanexxx

Hi everybody

I am to rebuild the GSX1400 after having finally received all the spare parts I want to fit her

Gas tank is now off the bike so I would like to put new Spark plugs but.... can someone teach me how to remove the old ones?

Not only the 2 in center are really near to the frame, but how DEEP are they in the engine?

Please help. Do I need a particular tool here?

Thank you very much

Fabio

Proud owner of a K3 GSX1400 now K6++ as look

Mick_J

Sounds like a stupid question but do you have the original tool kit for the bike? It's stored under the seat right at the back next to the rear light.  If not you may need to buy a Suzuki tool for it as I don't thing a standard socket will fit in.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Athelstanexxx

I bought my Suzuki as an used one, and no kit was present.
So hail for the stupid questions my friend, you probably saved me.
Let me source one, and I will update you here on this

PS: do you have a link where I can buy the correct tool for the GSX 1400?

seth

@Athelstanexxx
I have a complete standard tool kit if you want one for a gsx1400.
The packet is damaged but all the tools are fine.
Where are you at and let me know if your interested.
Cheers
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Athelstanexxx

I am in Italy, should you ship here
Is it on eBay?
Thank you very much

Hooli

a short 3/8th extension bar on a plug socket works after removing the coils (only two screws & a wiring plug each).

T 24

I haven't even known that Suzuki has own special tool for spark plugs.
I have used universal 3/8" socket set with magnetic spark plug socket for years with no problems.(+ torque wrench when tightening)
Why or where that special tool is needed?
Why do you remove the coils, Hooli?
Are we still talking about GSX 1400?

Hooli

I think I remove the coils or at least slide them backwards for a bit more clearance some times.

Or I was doing something else as well last time that needed the coils out?  :confused1:

seth

I remove the coils out of the way too as it's easier and the rank is off anyway .
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Will14

3/8" spark plug socket & a wobbly short extension to loosen & tighten the plugs & a telescopic magnetic stick to lift out and replace the plugs into the recess is my usual route  :clapping:

DP1400

The rule of thumb here - fit a set of top quality plugs, iridium etc. and they will outlive your bike without ever needing changing. By doing that you`ll only ever have to strip your bike down the once in order to get to the sodding things.

The last three bikes i`ve owned have all had spark plug sockets provided in the toolkits, which is great, but you still can`t use them for the job without removing the seat/tank/etc., at the very least. My Fireblade was the worst, and nearly put me in A&E due to skin loss, my Bandit`12 was almost as bad on the centre pots. The common problem is that even if you do manage to get the socket in place, there`s no room to do bugger-all with it!

As said, fit the best plugs available once, and the plug change trauma is gone forever!  :onya:

Hooli

My 14 doesn't like iridium, it runs better on proper plugs & they last longer.

T 24

I use NGK CR8EK plugs, they are cheaper and last longer than iridiums in my 14.
Basically iridiums last longer, but if you have any inaccurate points in your fuel map(like I have), normal type plugs can tolerate it longer.
Especially rich AFR is poison to iridium plugs.
And that too rich mixture in in my bike comes from oil temp sensor when the engine is "semi warm".

grog

Probably all true T24,I appreciate your knowledge. All i know is Iridiums in mine been 50 th ks, never missed a beat. When i bought them , while ago, $30 each in Australia, full set from UK, posted, $48. Dont know if genuine or not, doesnt matter now, have done the job   

Athelstanexxx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk