Author Topic: Tech Tip: Airbox Installation - What Mr Suzuki should have done  (Read 1157 times)

Offline insane1400

Airbox Installation - What Mr Suzuki should have done
« on: Tuesday, 30 June 2020, 08:32 pm »
Its a shame Suzuki didnt put a bit more thought into the airbox and make it removable without having to remove the engine.
 Here is what I did to install an airbox into my bike.
 First I cut it into two pieces, then cut off the bulge where the PAIRS comes out of. The pairs hole had a piece plastic welded over the top.
 I then cut strips of PP plastic and wrapped it around the outside of the smaller section to create a "lip" to hold the larger piece in place. These were glued and riveted into place. 
 I had to remove the fuel injection to fit it in, but looking at it now its hard to tell its been done.
« Last Edit: Friday, 11 December 2020, 09:04 am by gsxbarmy »

Offline grog

• Forum Donor 2022
  • Needs to get out more
  • If we werent all crazy, we would go insane.
Re: Mr Suzuki should have done it this way
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 30 June 2020, 08:41 pm »
We have lots of Court Jesters but now we have a Magician. Your work was amazing, persistant, just brilliant. Done the impossible.  :hat: :hat:

Offline Eric GSX1400K3

• Forum Donor 2022
  • Torque Master
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, 30 June 2020, 08:55 pm »
Nice. Thanks for sharing. :salute: :clapping:

So by cutting it in half i assume you also reduced the " length " of the airbox (front to rear distance?  As i understand its this length plus the PAIRS "hump" that makes  it a PITA to get out.

Ive thought about going the 4 pod filters route, but so far ive not needed to remove the throttle bodies or airbox, so I've  left it.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Offline insane1400

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, 30 June 2020, 09:45 pm »
@Eric GSX1400K3
So by cutting it in half i assume you also reduced the " length " of the airbox (front to rear distance?  As i understand its this length plus the PAIRS "hump" that makes  it a PITA to get out.
I didnt change any dimensions at all. In the first pic you can see the airbox with a white line around it, all I did was cut that line. I did sit looking at it for a while before deciding on where was the best to cut and how to rejoin it together... All up it only took about 5 hours to cut it, put the lip around and reinstall it.
 The trick with the two pieces of sheet metal to get the injection back in works a treat too!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, 01 July 2020, 11:27 am by VladTepes »

Offline gsxbarmy

• Forum Legend
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, 01 July 2020, 02:56 am »
Have stickied this - you never know who else might want to do this. Great job  :onya:
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Offline VladTepes

• Impaler.. Don't tempt me!
  • Administrator
  • aka "LandyVlad"
    • LandyVlad.net
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, 01 July 2020, 11:27 am »
How often does one need to remove the airbox?
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Offline GSX1400Convert

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, 01 July 2020, 02:37 pm »
All those rivets remind me of the aftermarket air filter I put on my 1964 Mini Cooper.

The air filter was held together with a screw on the inside of filter, the nut on the outside.

Driving to Griffith from Melbourne, just outside Jerilderri at night, it starts running on 3.

4 hours later, under the lights of the 24 hour Caltex servo, I finally got the head back on after taking it off to remove said screw from an inlet valve seat.  :embarassed:
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline Hooli

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, 01 July 2020, 05:29 pm »

Approximately never, I never have I know that.

Offline gsxbarmy

• Forum Legend
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, 01 July 2020, 05:41 pm »

Generally never, but there are times when it would be useful without having to take your bike half to bits
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Offline insane1400

« Reply #9 on: Friday, 03 July 2020, 08:15 pm »
All those rivets remind me of the aftermarket air filter I put on my 1964 Mini Cooper.

The air filter was held together with a screw on the inside of filter, the nut on the outside.

Driving to Griffith from Melbourne, just outside Jerilderri at night, it starts running on 3.

4 hours later, under the lights of the 24 hour Caltex servo, I finally got the head back on after taking it off to remove said screw from an inlet valve seat.  :embarassed:

thanks for this story @GSX1400Convert  I removed all the pop-rivets and plastic welded the whole thing now...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
anything