News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Throttle Body Synch

Started by Speedy1959, Wednesday, 04 September 2019, 04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiCol

I've got a K & N & my revs were around 1200 for setting.  All good, both fine.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Hooli

Don't forget the weather will affect the reading too. It'll be 'x' below the ambient air pressure as far as I understand things.

x will of course vary according to revs & if the engine is warmed up & so on.

KiwiCol

Cheers Hooli, hadn't remembered the temp.

Barbara Kay

Hi all - just bought myself a synchroniser for the TB's - can someone tell me where the vacuum line nipples are located? Manual is is underwhelming in this regard..pictures anyone?
Barb Kay

Andre

Arrow 1 in the pic points to one of the hoses that sits on one of the nipples. There are a total of 5 nipples though. 4 of them (ones with the inter-connected hoses) you connect to the balancer.  The one that arrow 2 points to needs to be blocked. It is on TB #3 and the hose attached to it goes to the PAIR valve. If your PAIR valve (or that hose to it) is leaky you may have problems balancing. BTW a leaky PAIR valve can be an overlooked vaccum leak item for TB #3.

While you are at it replace those hoses.

Barbara Kay

Barb Kay

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Barbara Kay on Tuesday, 31 December  2019, 04:04 PM
Perfect - thanks heaps Andre.
Hi Barbara,

How did you go with the balancing?
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Eric GSX1400K3

Issues I had were fast idle was 3500-4000rpm, F1 C28 code, running a bit rough down low and "seemed" a bit down on power.

So I balanced the throttle bodies yesterday, first chucked in a new set of plugs, (first time since I've owned the bike, so well past due).  NGK plugs that came out looked ok, 2 and 3 and bit darker than 1 and 4.  Warmed the bike up first, idle set at 1100rpm.  Ambient temps 25 deg C, K&N filter cleaned and re-oiled too.) Removed the IAS solenoid and vacuum lines, hooked up my Morgan Carbtune pro.(The tip about putting the tank across the seat rails is brilliant, works well).  Anyways, found 1 was out from 2 by about 20mm Hg (26 to 28), and 3+4 were both out by 30mm Hg from 2.  Synchronised 1 to 2, dead easy with the adjuster screw below (bought the right angled screw driver from Morgan Carbtune as well), then balanced 3 and 4.  Set 1+2 to 3+4 after that, now all running around 28 mmHg.  Adjusted TPS and STPS after that. 

Found that when doing the STPS, there was a discrepancy between 1+2 and 3+4 when closing the throttle valves manually through the air box.  Having the multimeter hooked up, when closing the throttles on 1 or 2, the STPS read 830 ish Ohms, when doing the same for 3+4, the STPS was reading about 804 ohms.  Holding 1+2 closed, I could feel some play in the lever for 3+4.   There's a Phillips head (or JIS) adjusted between 3+4 facing upwards.  The same one between 1+2 is nearly impossible to get to.   I adjusted 3+4 until I got 805 ohms for both 1+2 and 3+4 secondary throttles when closing manually through the air box.  Put it all back together, fired it up and fast idle went to 2000rpm, dropping back to 1500rpm after about 30 seconds and then settling to 1100 rpm after about a minute. Let it run for 5 minutes, revved it to 6500-7000rpm a few items, no rough spots or spluttering. Yet to go for a ride, it's been too wet, but it definitely idles and sounds much smoother.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

KiwiCol

Well done. Sounds as if you've got that running sweet now.

SheepDog

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Sunday, 19 April  2020, 02:57 PM
Issues I had were fast idle was 3500-4000rpm, F1 C28 code, running a bit rough down low and "seemed" a bit down on power.

So I balanced the throttle bodies yesterday, first chucked in a new set of plugs, (first time since I've owned the bike, so well past due).  NGK plugs that came out looked ok, 2 and 3 and bit darker than 1 and 4.  Warmed the bike up first, idle set at 1100rpm.  Ambient temps 25 deg C, K&N filter cleaned and re-oiled too.) Removed the IAS solenoid and vacuum lines, hooked up my Morgan Carbtune pro.....

Ordered my Morgan Pro on the 19 March. Still in the mail. I'm jealous.  :frustrated:

Eric GSX1400K3

Did you get the right angle screw driver too? Makes it soooo easy

SheepDog

Got the chance to balance the air flow and results are below:

Setup of the CarbTune Pro with tank unbolted and spun anticlockwise and laid out on a towel along the frame which the seat sits on. Good Idea thanks guys  :onya:

Before even touching a anything this is what it looked like:

After 10 minutes of tweaking:

Effect has been very very good.
Out on the road at any rev's bike sounds quieter and hums like a sewing machine.
No more vibrations through the handlebars. The bike is definitely less rattle than before.
De-accelerating is very smooth.
Gear changing is very smooth (pulling in the clutch and changing either up or down).
No more jerking when bike goes over bumps/potholes etc even when trying to hold a steady throttle position (a pet hate previously).

A lot of things contribute to the bikes responsiveness and acceleration BUT this balancing the throttles has been a great improvement on the quality of ride. Thanks guys  :onya:

Eric GSX1400K3

Good result.  Did you check and adjust TPS and STPS afterwards? Mine were all balanced at just over 28cmHg but i found that my fast idle and STPS was out.  After adjusting them all golfen.  Def happy with my Carbtune Pro. Exhaust note sounds throatier (Akra titanium muffler and 4-1 stainless downpipes) and it pulls strong in all gears.

Persizi

I did balanced mine.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PDB2RWn4df2D5K3NgJRQjYS3g2BfYmaO/view?usp=sharing
The thing is that on idle they are synced but on higher revs like 3000-4000 there is slightly difference. So I decide to live it balanced on idle.

Hooli

That's probably as the secondary throttles won't be perfectly in sync & only at one opening will they match with the throttles & give a balanced reading.

No way I know of to solve that, but if or when I have the TBs off I manually balance the secondaries by locking them in one place at the motor & adjusting them so a drill bit fits exactly the same between them & the edge of the bore in the TB. This trick also works as a rough balance for the main throttles if you've had the TBs totally apart, it saves a lot of time balancing them afterwards.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk