News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Throttle Body Synch

Started by Speedy1959, Wednesday, 04 September 2019, 04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedy1959

Hi all,

I've read the excellent "Howto" which is downloadable on here..
To sum up it says "Balance 1 to 2 then 3 to 4 using the underneath screws...Finally balance 1+2 to 3+4 using
the adjuster screw between 2 and 3. You only need to move them a tiny amount at a time".

That's brilliant advice and I have been out with a torch and a mirror to view the screws location..
I easily found the outer screws (for 1 to 2 and 3 to 4) but could not locate the screw "located between 2 and 3"..
Is this screw located above? In other words accessed from the top ??

Thanks in advance,

S.

KiwiCol

Yup, from the top.  It's the cross head one in the middle.  (Not saying Philips as it's most likely JIS)
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Speedy1959

Quote from: KiwiCol on Wednesday, 04 September  2019, 05:03 PM
Yup, from the top.  It's the cross head one in the middle.  (Not saying Philips as it's most likely JIS)

Brilliant!
Thanks Col for the very fast response..

S.

seth

@Speedy1959
These pictures are in the thread I was on about the other day .
I'll add them here as it helps others find them in the future .
1 and 2 are underneath to synchronise 1-2 and 3-4 .
3 is in the top and used to synchronise the 2 sides(1/2 and 3/4).
Also shows the fast idle adjuster as this can change as you get the throttlebodies closer to being synchronise.
Hope all goes well buddy .
:onya:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Speedy1959

Thanks seth..
I did see the photo but couldn't tell if it was the top or bottom of the throttle bodies..
Don't forget I haven't removed my tank yet and so I cant see the details that the photo shows..
As with any procedure I haven't done before (on Sophie) I like to learn the "How to" before I actually do it.. That way avoiding little surprises.

Thanks again for your info / photo

S

KiwiCol

Agreed, I'm the same.  Read through the 'how to' & go over the procedure mentally first.

seth

Just remember you'll only need small movements of the screws to sort this no massive turns on any of the screws will be required .
And take your time there's no rush if things get to hot just stop and go back after a short break . :onya:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Andre

@Speedy1959  Since you haven't done this before it might take a bit of time. Set up a ventilator to blow from front. As the IAP sensor gets disconnected for the procedure the bike runs in Fail Safe Mode. That makes it run funky when engine gets very hot (as in cooler fan activation temp reached).

Simonic

[quote (as in cooler fan activation temp reached).
[/quote]

Do you mean that the fan does not come on when it should do?
'04 GSX14,'81 Z1000ST,'71 Dodge Charger Superbee

Hooli

I read it that in fail-safe mode the fan cuts in at a lower temp, ie before it really should.

Andre

No, that is not what I mean. The fan does come on. But there are a number of values and settings in the EFI that are set to a fix value. (see attached table).

Andre

Quote from: Hooli on Thursday, 05 September  2019, 10:30 PM
I read it that in fail-safe mode the fan cuts in at a lower temp, ie before it really should.

The fan is not part of the EFI. The only thing that controls the fan is the thermo-switch. There is no connection to the ECU.

Speedy1959

This morning I changed the Plugs, & Air Filter...
After that and whilst the tank was still up in the air I thought I may as well have a go with the Throttle synch..

Without doubt the very best TIP OF THE DAY was given to me by Seth...
On the phone he suggested I rotated the tank 90 degrees and place it across the seat rails (on a Rug or Towel to protect Tank and Rails)....
If your going to do this then pull the tank rearwards and rotate clockwise, so that the rear of the tank is facing left (as your sat on the bike)..
No need to disconnect fuel pipes or wiring..
Doing this gives brilliant access to the adjuster screw that balances the 1 & 2 bodies with the 3 & 4 bodies..

Spark plugs looked a pretty good colour to me..
I have attached a photo of the readings I got after I had played around for half an hour..
They are near enough for me.. Keep in mind the levels fluctuate with the pulses of the cylinder.

Time for a ride out now...

S.

KiwiCol

Here's a pic of mine when I did it.  Thing I notice on yours is the levels are at 28, mine at 25/26?  Wonder why the difference?  What sort of air filter do you have Speedy?  What revs were you doing it at?

Speedy1959

Hi Col
The air filter is a  HiFlo.
The revs were tickover of 1100 rpm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk