Powdercoating Yokes / Triple Clamps - How to remove rubbers and bearing cups?

Started by diebythereaper, Thursday, 15 November 2018, 03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diebythereaper

I am going to get my yokes powdercoated black and have stripped them off of the bike.
Some googling told me a T40 Torx but with a Hole will remove the ignition switch but I think the rubber grommets for the top handle bar clamps will melt?
How do I remove them?

Also what about the bearing cup in the lower clamp - there is a rubber seal under it and then I cant pull it off ?

How do I do this? any advice appreciated - Photos attached
thanks

Del

Hi Fella

I thought about doing the same thing but was going to be too much hassle so I stripped etch primed and painted instead - no issues and im out in all weathers all year

Del
All Lives Matter
...until you multiply them by the speed of light squared. Then all lives energy.

A 'feuchainn gu cruaidh gus fuck a thoirt seachad - ach gu mì-fhortanach a' fàilligeadh

seth

Hiya you'd need to remover the lock yes a security torx bit will fit .
The handlebar mount will need to be knocked out like a bearing.
The lower bearing outer and the seal will also need removing.
Before you can get them powder coated.
If you can't do that then I'd follow @Del's advice.
Good luck
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

diebythereaper

grog

Looks excellent Dell. If only i could be bothered. Would look unreal with my stainless top plate i bought somewhere. I like it with silver but would be real nice with black. That bottom bearing cup is a real pig to get off. Maybe someone has a way but i think a grinder is the go.

Del

@diebythereaper

I do spraying as a hobby mate so tend so steer clear of rattle cans -

I used U-Pol acid etch primer - then a HD sparkle black basecoat - then finally a 2K clear coat

then waited till wife was out and stuck in the oven (55 degrees) to bake for a few hours or until the wife comes home - baking leave the part as hard as a whores heart

hope this helps

Del
All Lives Matter
...until you multiply them by the speed of light squared. Then all lives energy.

A 'feuchainn gu cruaidh gus fuck a thoirt seachad - ach gu mì-fhortanach a' fàilligeadh

Mrg

Del
So you primer. Paint. Then lacquer   Then bake in the oven and it's good to go mate
look check and look again  then you see the fool

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Mrg on Friday, 16 November  2018, 06:46 AM
Del
So you primer. Paint. Then lacquer   Then bake in the oven and it's good to go mate

Etch primer - you have to use etch primer so it bonds to the metal.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Mrg

Thank you gsxbarmy I just won't to make sure  it went into a oven after the Laq was applied I was thinking of having a go my self  cheers  :onya:

Del

@Mrg

I usually wait till touch dry (usually 2 hours as I use an acceleratent  in my clear) before putting in the oven - also if putting in oven make sure no repairs (tiller etc) in job as this expands and ruins the job . . . . . wee hint for the future
All Lives Matter

Mrg

ARH

I tried it once.... when her indoors was out for the day.....stank the house out, jeez, did I get a lashing that day  :rofl2: :rofl2:

Mrg

Lol now there is a problem my misses own the kitchen living room the rest of downstairs and the rest of the house so I think I will have to build my own oven in the shed to be on the safe side  :rofl2:  well I own it but she thinks she does  :rofl2:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk