News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Remove the PAIRS System

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 07 February 2017, 11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Notty

Quote from: SA14 on Monday, 21 September  2020, 10:00 PM
This mod seems to be within my skill level but I'm conflicted; I like the popping but would love to feel some of that increased smoothness. Is the smoothness really that noticeable? I'd be willing to lose the popping which has smile value (to me) but that extra smoothness sure sounds enticing. Given these bikes have truckloads of power anyway there's no need for more but I'm intrigued by refinements like this.
I like tjhe popping so I sold my pairs removal kit -mine runs smooth   :)
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

SA14

Quote from: Notty on Tuesday, 22 September  2020, 01:20 AM
Quote from: SA14 on Monday, 21 September  2020, 10:00 PM
This mod seems to be within my skill level but I'm conflicted; I like the popping but would love to feel some of that increased smoothness. Is the smoothness really that noticeable? I'd be willing to lose the popping which has smile value (to me) but that extra smoothness sure sounds enticing. Given these bikes have truckloads of power anyway there's no need for more but I'm intrigued by refinements like this.
I like the popping so I sold my pairs removal kit -mine runs smooth   :)

I got some popping! Admittedly not so much but last week I did the ball bearing mod and immediately felt the extra smoothness. It now feels like a manually shifted automatic bike and has added a new level of enjoyment but I (like you) really like the pop. But yesterday I was accelerating then letting off in 2nd gear and got some sweet crackling! I wasn't being a yahoo (much - your honour) but the situation lent itself to a handful of 2nd gear then had to back off because the world was approaching too rapidly and I heard some cool pops so even though it's not as much (I used to get it on deceleration in most gears) it'll still happen.

Stock exhaust on a 2008 with Scorpion muffler.

Persizi

Is there a catalyst in the standard cans? And if there is, is this mod will hurt the catalyst?

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Persizi on Monday, 05 July  2021, 07:21 AM
Is there a catalyst in the standard cans? And if there is, is this mod will hurt the catalyst?

If you have the standard Yoshi exhaust on a K5/6/7 then arguably there is a cat in the exhaust itself. Otherwise no, there isn't

In any case this mod will not "hurt" the catalytic converter.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Persizi

Thanks! The cans are 42F0, so I guess there is no cat.

grog

Barmy, out of interest, where is a cat in later exhausts? None of my cans/ link pipes have one. Yonks ago had collector off, ground out every obstruction, no cat there. Just as aside, since fitting Yoshi Tri Oval, much quieter than previous, thats with end baffle out. Much more power and 20 ks more before first fuel bar disappears. Maybe just due to cooler weather but i dont really think so.

Persizi

I think there is a cat in 42F2 (K4- onwards) but I'm not sure. SUZUKI GSX1400 - EXHAUST SYSTEM K2 K3 K4

Also according to this channel, removing the PAIR will cause faster blockage on the cat - 7:30 .

gsxbarmy

Quote from: grog on Monday, 05 July  2021, 06:13 PM
Barmy, out of interest, where is a cat in later exhausts? None of my cans/ link pipes have one. Yonks ago had collector off, ground out every obstruction, no cat there. Just as aside, since fitting Yoshi Tri Oval, much quieter than previous, thats with end baffle out. Much more power and 20 ks more before first fuel bar disappears. Maybe just due to cooler weather but i dont really think so.

Don't know @grog - I'm only going by what was on the side of the (optional) Yoshi dual oval can that was a dealer fit (same as the mainstand) as new in the UK - sure it had some reference to catalic
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Yetiman

I just did both on the weekend ( PAIRS and TRE ) and did notice a Better throttle response and much smoother engine overall, Well worth the mod IMO and was easy to do,......

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: Persizi on Monday, 05 July  2021, 06:53 PM
I think there is a cat in 42F2 (K4- onwards) but I'm not sure. SUZUKI GSX1400 - EXHAUST SYSTEM K2 K3 K4

Also according to this channel, removing the PAIR will cause faster blockage on the cat - 7:30 .

That's quite a good explanation.

He pointed out what a lot of folk miss in that any A/F readers, be it a sniffer on the dyno or other will get a false reading with PAIR in place. I've seen heaps of bikes dyno'd and the owners given mixture figures without blocking it.

Mine was dyno'd and mapped after it was blanked off.

Interesting about how it effects the Cat, but personally I'd be surprised if a lot of owners who are going to the trouble of removing it or blanking it off still have a Cat in place. 

I don't touch PAIRS with just cans but I do with full systems. The tiny gains in weight loss and having all the crap out of the way when working on the bike are just a bonus.

Hooli

As our bikes don't have cats that shouldn't be an issue.

Every dyno I've seen done on a 14 or similar they put a clamp on the pipe to the PAIRS valve which disables the system so it won't affect the readings.

Yetiman

I haven't checked that out yet Is that the case on all the GSX1400's K2-K7 Tony Nitrous no Cats..
I remember you from the B-King.org forums mate I think at the time you were doing a lot of tuning with Woolich-racing for drag racing,.

seth

None of the years of the gsx1400 have a cat in the exhaust system .
The duel outlet can says it's got a cat or is cat comparable but they are not standard from the factory they were added by dealers after manufacturing.
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

grog

Mine had a cat, mongrel thing from over the road. It slept on my tank, black hair everywhere, Easiest cat ive ever removed.

Bri1100

What does this mean catalyzed ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk