Author Topic: How to: Adjust your TPS  (Read 21641 times)

Offline mlivkovich

• Forum Donor 2020
  • Tarmac Tearer
Re: Adjust your TPS
« Reply #60 on: Saturday, 23 February 2019, 05:05 am »
Thank you KiwiCol, but it doesn't run smooth even on paddock stand, so in that case chain is eliminated.

Offline Hooli

« Reply #61 on: Saturday, 23 February 2019, 10:10 am »
:frustrated:
I read all your posts about setting TPS and STPS....
I set mine at 1100 ohms, STPS was in specs, put new spark plugs and my bike is still running jerky, very hard to ride it at constant speed between 2500 and 3000 rpm. I know my chain is ready to be replaced but my bike does not run well even on paddock stand. If I keep engine running at cca 3000 rpms I cean still feel it doesn't rum smooth.
I also checked all sensors (all in specs) and every contact is clean and sprayed with contact cleaner. Sidestand switch and clutch lever switch also do their job. Is it possible that clutch lever swith causes my problem even if it's not bridged and works as it should?  I don't know what else could be problem :whatever:

I've had that. Can't remember how I sorted it though, if I remember I'll let you know.

Offline Eric GSX1400K3

• Forum Donor 2022
  • Torque Master
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, 14 May 2019, 12:37 am »
That jerky feeling like the bike is shutting off: I was getting that really bad when I was just cruising on half throttle then would open up the throttle.
To fix I cleaned the fuel filters really well and replaced the O-rings to the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump (same O-ring sizes)
I don't know if the O-rings helped the issue at hand but cleaning the fuel filters helped out a lot!
In my situation I had a bridged clutch switch that I didn't know about from the previous owner, which effects the ignition timing and made the issue REALLY bad.
Hope this helps.

I’m working through trying to sort my K2 14 out, rides rough at low rpms and in lower gears. Out of interest, how do you know if the clutch switch is bridged?  Is it visible or audible.? I can hear mine click each time I pull the clutch in.  TPS and STPS to be checked, need a new multimeter first...
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Offline gsxbarmy

• Forum Legend
  • Administrator
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, 14 May 2019, 04:13 am »
That jerky feeling like the bike is shutting off: I was getting that really bad when I was just cruising on half throttle then would open up the throttle.
To fix I cleaned the fuel filters really well and replaced the O-rings to the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump (same O-ring sizes)
I don't know if the O-rings helped the issue at hand but cleaning the fuel filters helped out a lot!
In my situation I had a bridged clutch switch that I didn't know about from the previous owner, which effects the ignition timing and made the issue REALLY bad.
Hope this helps.

I’m working through trying to sort my K2 14 out, rides rough at low rpms and in lower gears. Out of interest, how do you know if the clutch switch is bridged?  Is it visible or audible.? I can hear mine click each time I pull the clutch in.  TPS and STPS to be checked, need a new multimeter first...

There are two wires going to the clutch switch (under the clutch lever), which fit on with spade connectors. If the clutch switch is bridged, there would be a wire in between those two spade connectors most likely.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Offline Hooli

« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, 14 May 2019, 04:20 am »
Hope this helps.

There are two wires going to the clutch switch (under the clutch lever), which fit on with spade connectors. If the clutch switch is bridged, there would be a wire in between those two spade connectors most likely.

That, or just try starting it without pulling the clutch. If the starter fires it's bridged somewhere.

Offline Eric GSX1400K3

• Forum Donor 2022
  • Torque Master
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, 14 May 2019, 11:00 pm »
Thanks for that, checked and the clutch switch is def not bridged, there are two spade connectors into the switch and the bike won’t start unless the clutch is pulled in, as it’s supposed to.

Picked up new multimeter today, will check TPS and STPS in the next few days.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Offline Andre

• Forum Legend, Forum Donor 2018.
  • Torque Master
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, 16 May 2019, 06:25 pm »
:frustrated:
I read all your posts about setting TPS and STPS....
I set mine at 1100 ohms, STPS was in specs, put new spark plugs and my bike is still running jerky, very hard to ride it at constant speed between 2500 and 3000 rpm. I know my chain is ready to be replaced but my bike does not run well even on paddock stand. If I keep engine running at cca 3000 rpms I cean still feel it doesn't rum smooth.
I also checked all sensors (all in specs) and every contact is clean and sprayed with contact cleaner. Sidestand switch and clutch lever switch also do their job. Is it possible that clutch lever swith causes my problem even if it's not bridged and works as it should?  I don't know what else could be problem :whatever:

I've had that. Can't remember how I sorted it though, if I remember I'll let you know.

@mlivkovich Did you solve the problem?

@Hooli Do you remember now how you sorted this?

Offline mlivkovich

• Forum Donor 2020
  • Tarmac Tearer
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, 16 May 2019, 08:48 pm »
@Andre, problem solved. I did external filter mod, so I cut HP filter housing and soldered it back. I missed few spots so it was loosing fuel pressure.

Offline Eric GSX1400K3

• Forum Donor 2022
  • Torque Master
« Reply #68 on: Sunday, 19 May 2019, 09:29 pm »
Thanks for that, checked and the clutch switch is def not bridged, there are two spade connectors into the switch and the bike won’t start unless the clutch is pulled in, as it’s supposed to.

Picked up new multimeter today, will check TPS and STPS in the next few days.

Righto, so I got the new multimeter and checked the TPS and STPS on my K2 1402 today.  Started up, let it warm up for 5-10 min, idle rpm set at 1100 rpm, idle is nice and smooth, needle does not move and bike just purrs away. So I was happy that the idle speed was correct and engine was warm.

TPS:

Switched it off, removed the LH side cover and tested TPS (left hand side of bike first), lower setting (resistance value) was 1108 Ohm, I managed to adjust it to sit on 1100 Ohms exactly. Opened throttles by twist grip a few times, each time the value settled back to 1100 Ohms, so all good. At wide open throttle the TPS sensor reads 2564 Ohms, which is weird, as it should get to ~4300 Ohms or so, but as I’ve read here, not unusual. I’m definitely getting WOT, so no issue with the mechanism etc.  my view is that this could be because measuring at the large grey plug, not at the TPS connector.  If I end up pulling the throttle bodies off (read below) then I might recheck at the connector.

STPS on RHS of bike, removed side cover etc, hooked up multimeter to pins as shown in this thread, lower value reads 2178 Ohm, WTF?  Manual says it should read only 800 Ohm.

Removed the sensor, can turn the little rotator by hand and the sensor goes down to ~413 Ohm, and up to ~2700Ohm, so I think the sensor is fine.  The angle of the STB shaft that grabs the sensor rotator is off-set by about 45deg, so I cannot get the sensor to read below 1920 Ohms anyway.

So, do I need to pull out the STBV? Can’t reach the STV adjuster screw with normal screw drivers etc.

Is the STB actuator broken? The manual talk about not serviceable and replace as an assembly.

at low rpm that the bike misbehaves, i.e. doesn’t run nice.

Haven’t balanced the throttle bodies yet...

Any ideas from the brains trust?

Thanks in advance. :notworthy:
« Last Edit: Sunday, 19 May 2019, 09:42 pm by Eric GSX1400K3 »

Offline Andre

• Torque Master
« Reply #69 on: Sunday, 19 May 2019, 10:33 pm »
TPS:

Switched it off, removed the LH side cover and tested TPS (left hand side of bike first), lower setting (resistance value) was 1108 Ohm, I managed to adjust it to sit on 1100 Ohms exactly. Opened throttles by twist grip a few times, each time the value settled back to 1100 Ohms, so all good. At wide open throttle the TPS sensor reads 2564 Ohms, which is weird, as it should get to ~4300 Ohms or so, but as I’ve read here, not unusual. I’m definitely getting WOT, so no issue with the mechanism etc.  my view is that this could be because measuring at the large grey plug, not at the TPS connector.  If I end up pulling the throttle bodies off (read below) then I might recheck at the connector.

Yes, you will get a difference when comparing large grey with the black connector at the sensor. I get 100 Ohm LESS on the large grey! Read about this somewhere else and just tested this a couple of days ago. Strange it would be less, I would have expected it to be more :whatever:

The TPS will go over 4.3k Ohms but not while installed. I suspect that the high value in the manual was just taken from the TPS-manufacturer's spec-sheet. Not the first error in the manual!!!

No need to pull the throttle bodies off to get to the connectors. It's a pain in the ass but not ass much pain than pulling the throttle bodies off.

STPS on RHS of bike, removed side cover etc, hooked up multimeter to pins as shown in this thread, lower value reads 2178 Ohm, WTF?  Manual says it should read only 800 Ohm.

Did you open the secondary throttle valve by going with your hand through the airbox and kept the valve open while you measured? If you didn't you got the value that would be expected!

So, do I need to pull out the STBV?

NO (Assuming by STBV you mean Secondary throttle body valves).

Haven’t balanced the throttle bodies yet...

Should have done that first. Might well be the reason for the misbehavior at low RPM. Also this needs to be done before adjusting the TPS!

Offline Eric GSX1400K3

• Forum Donor 2022
  • Torque Master
« Reply #70 on: Monday, 20 May 2019, 10:06 pm »
Danke Andre,

Rereading the manual I now know where I went wrong, so no I didn’t manually close the secondaries, will give that a try.  my bad. :doh:

Engine runs absolutely fine above 1800rpm or so, this is why I didn’t balance the throttle bodies. I will get the STP to the right values or close enough to,then worry about balancing 1+2 and 3+4.

If you’re getting 100 Ohm less measured at the grey connector, does that mean you’ve set the TPS and STP at 100ohm higher to compensate?

I’ll let you know the results, thanks again for the response.

Offline Andre

• Torque Master
« Reply #71 on: Monday, 20 May 2019, 11:18 pm »
Engine runs absolutely fine above 1800rpm or so, this is why I didn’t balance the throttle bodies. I will get the STP to the right values or close enough to,then worry about balancing 1+2 and 3+4.

The STPS is not significant to the syncing. I was referring to the TPS. First syncing, then TPS adjusting.
Don't forget to balance BETWEEN 1+2 AND 3+4 AFTER you balanced 1+2 and 3+4. Also make sure that the idle stays where it should during the process of syncing and adjust the idle if it changes while you sync. If you anticipate that it will take you awhile for the process then place a ventilator in front of the bike.

If you’re getting 100 Ohm less measured at the grey connector, does that mean you’ve set the TPS and STP at 100ohm higher to compensate?

I would set right at the sensors' connectors (as it says in the manual) to the correct values. When you have done that, you can measure at the big grey connector and note the difference. It doesn't have to be 100 Ohm in your case, maybe it is 50 Ohm. Also TPS and STPS could be different. When you know the difference write it down for future reference and adjust on the big grey. In my case I can adjust to 1000 Ohm on the grey and be pretty sure that it is at 1100 at the TPS connector.

Offline Eric GSX1400K3

• Forum Donor 2022
  • Torque Master
« Reply #72 on: Monday, 20 May 2019, 11:59 pm »
Thanks Andre,

Will do and let you know how it goes.

Offline Monarchjock

• Tarmac Tearer
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, 21 May 2019, 12:51 am »
The readings differ because when measuring at the grey connector the TPS and STPS are in parallel which will affect the resistance readings

Here's what I got.

At Sensor         At grey connector   
STPS Open           2743Ω               2067Ω
         Closed          801Ω                 761Ω

TPS   Open           4434Ω               2645Ω
        Closed         1156Ω                1052Ω

The biggest difference is with the Open settings, particularly the TPS
The STPS drops by 40ohms and the TPS by about 100ohms at Closed. As you can see I couldn't adjust the TPS down to 1100 ohms just as some others have found.
I made a jig to connect between the two grey connectors so that I could read the voltages that Suzuki specify more easily. It also makes checking the Fast Idle settings easier. I can set the closed voltage for the TPS to 1.1 volts which if the TPS and STPS are working fine is  possibly slightly better than getting the resistance correct.

Offline Andre

• Torque Master
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, 21 May 2019, 01:23 am »
Very good post/info there @Monarchjock

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
anything