Main Menu

HEL oil cooler + Akrapovic headers

Started by northern, Monday, 05 March 2018, 06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigian14

Quote from: northern on Sunday, 11 March  2018, 02:57 AM
@bigian14
Thanks a lot for this info, mate!

Basically: both fitting are straight and hoses are ~40mm shorter? Right?
Inst lines to close to headers, or it's not a problem?
No, it's got the 45° at the crankcase end, I got them shortened by about 40mm and fitted the other way round. They look a lot neater with the straight fitting at the cooler end but I can't see any reason why they wouldn't also work with straight fittings at both ends.
This is what I sent them with my requirements.

northern

Thx for clearing this out! :onya:
I think, I will ask to make me a same solution. At least at the begging - I 'm a little skeptical about lines to close to hot headers, but we will see...

rollerfish01

Quote from: bigian14 on Monday, 12 March  2018, 02:19 AM
No, it's got the 45° at the crankcase end, I got them shortened by about 40mm and fitted the other way round. They look a lot neater with the straight fitting at the cooler end but I can't see any reason why they wouldn't also work with straight fittings at both ends.
This is what I sent them with my requirements.

Hi bigian14, did you send back your original hoses for cutting or ask them to make another pair of hoses ?
I want to shorten my hoses too, Thanks !  :hat: --> It settled now  :onya: 

northern

Today I finally install HEL oil cooler on my 14.

As it was mentioned in previous post's, tubes what comes with kit are too long.
To shorten them, I purchase AN8 fitting's for rubber braided hoses (not PTFE ones). Ebay is full of offers, and I manage to find silver one, which were slightly more expensive when colored.

To cut them in size, I use small angle grinder, but it's not so important - any fast cut option to made clear cut is OK.

Hardest is, to cut stainless sleeve as clean as possible. I use idea from youtube, which I adapt to my situation:
wrap hose tight with duct tape at the place cut will be made. Then using sharp blade, snick the tape at exact place hose will be cut and take of unnecessary tape from hose. Now, there is clear line for cut, with duct tape compressing hose sleeve. After cutting and removing duck tape, it's important to clean inside of the hose. I use peace of sponge on thin cord, which I drag several times through hose.
After this, put fitting's on, and using adjustable and 22mm wrenches screw fitting in.

Take some time, but it was relatively easy :)

Hoses are quit close to headers, and this issue have to be solved someway. Have some ideas, but this is later  :hat:

northern

This is the way, I decide to mount HEL cooler, keeping and original cooling fan.

From 5mm sheet rubber, I cut gaskets and put them over mounting points on frame. Then I use 2mm rubber gasket  14mm OD and 8mm ID, and use it as shim in fan mounting holes. They are not on the picture, but are located between cooler and frame, holding fan centered on a mounting bolt (hope this make sense).

This make installation as slim as possible, and fork tubes turned all the way right or left, are not in contact with cooler.

Do not like the fan cover grill - hove to do something with it in future, but it will stay as it is for now.

northern

Fabricate a hook, which will keep oil cooler hose away from hot headers.
Made only for right side, because I did not have any more material and left side seems less critical to me.

But I will ride and see, if I will need to fabricate a hook for left side also.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk