News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Where is my oil going?

Started by Forester, Saturday, 10 February 2018, 08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forester

I apologise if this has been covered before, I did a search but found nothing.

Anyway. I'm losing oil. I first noticed it after about 3-4 months of owning the bike that my oil was extremely low (well under a litre) and I'm pretty sure it was full when I got it. So, I topped it up. here we are a few months later and yet again it's gone.

I park the bike in the same place every night, under shelter, so I'd notice any leaks on the ground and there's nothing.

Things like this are way over my head. Any ideas for this simpleton?

Thanks guys.

Andre

Besides checking for leaks on the ground check for signs of leaks on the bike itself.

Now check for internal leak by:
Check your exhaust, especially on start-up. Looks like, smells like?
Do a compression check.

gsxbarmy

How much oil are you actually losing over what sort of mileage?

Modern engines will normally use some oil, so if it's not excessive and the engine doesn't smoke, then it may not be an issue. Some 14's do use a tad of oil some don't. Depends what we are talking about.

One place you might check are around the joints where the oil pipes bolt onto the oil cooler. These are known weak spots where leaks can occur. Any oil residue around there maybe?
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Forester

Roughly 1 litre being lost every 1000-1200 miles.

I'm pretty good about cleaning the bike and I've never noticed any oil anywhere on it.

No excessive smoking either, just the usual on a cold day warm up. Mostly condensation.

She seems to run very well otherwise, nothing seems different to performance.

KiwiCol

I recall another member had a lot of oil in the pairs system, being blown out the exhaust I'd assume.  Wonder if you bike has a similar issue? Would account for the level lowering & leaving no trace. 
Pull the link pipe off at the collector & have a look n see if oily inside, shouldn't be.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

T 24

One liter/ 1000 mile is so much that you should see the leakage. If you can't see or smell the oil smoke, ask somebody to ride behind you trying to see and smell the oil.
You should also do compression test and check the crankcase breathing system and maybe check or block out the pair system.
What oil you are using?

KiwiCol

Or rev the engine whilst on the main stand, with a piece of paper (newspaper would do) behind the exhaust, any oil spots will quickly show.

grog

Only 2 places to disappear, leaking or out the exhaust. Change your oil, re check. A litre in short ks is a lot.

seth

that much oil usage you should see something .only bike i ever had using that much was my old gs1000 when i ran it on fully synthetic oil rather than the semi synthetic it should have used .
do the checks suggested and see if its burning oil also have a look at the plugs they will give you a clue if one looks different or they all look oily

good luck  :cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

lil4399

Was there an outcome to this thread?
If you are going to run out of fuel, do it in your garage.

It's only a short walk to the kettle.

vonny232

I am noticing something similar. I need to top up by around 300ml every 400-500 miles which seems too much to me.

I also have no trace of Oil on the engine or my driveway... I am interested if you got a resolution to your problem.

froudy

A strange one this...
I rarely need to top up between oil/filter changes and the bike gets hammered on the motorway all the time. As said already in the thread..It's either burning it or leaking out somewhere.
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

grog

Agree Froudy. Only 2 ways. Mine never uses a drop.

KiwiCol

Quote from: froudy on Monday, 22 April  2019, 06:00 PM
A strange one this...
I rarely need to top up between oil/filter changes and the bike gets hammered on the motorway all the time. As said already in the thread..It's either burning it or leaking out somewhere.
Hammered within the speed limits that'd be wouldn't it.   :whistling: :devil: :devil:  :onya:

froudy

Quote from: KiwiCol on Tuesday, 23 April  2019, 04:20 AM

Hammered within the speed limits that'd be wouldn't it.   :whistling: :devil: :devil:  :onya:

But of course :devil: :devil:
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk