4-Pot Caliper conversion - Caliper Options

Started by gsxbarmy, Friday, 03 February 2017, 08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsxbarmy

The following calipers are options (depending on availability, some may be easier to source than others):
-   Suzuki SV1000 03-04/K3-K4 Callipers
-   01-03 Suzuki GSXR600/750  (4-Pot Tokico front brake Callipers)
-   Suzuki SV1000 03-04/K3-K4  4-Pot Tokico front brake Callipers)

Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Cykik

Fitting 600 k3 gsxr & braided lines this winter. Hopefully see an improvement. Debating whether to change m/cyl or replace seals.
Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

gsxbarmy

I'd certainly consider changing the seals - the cylinder pots you will have to take a view on when you take them out.
The seals though do deteriorate over time and go hard, when they go like that it makes it difficult to remove the cylinder. It also reduces braking performance.
Whilst they may look good, it's not until you take one out that you can see hairline cracks once they start to deteriorate.
If you do pull your calipers down and the seals are still good - or you fit new seals - then do put a thin smear of Castrol red rubber grease on, as it helps keep the rubber nourished.
Also worth splitting the calipers to check the rubber seal in between the 2 halves

VladTepes

I think that year 2000 model GSXR750 were also 4 pot tokicos so: suitable direct changeover 4-pots are 01 - 03 GSX-R600 or 00 - 03 GSX-R750
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

gsxbarmy

Quote from: VladTepes on Tuesday, 14 February  2017, 04:10 PM
I think that year 2000 model GSXR750 were also 4 pot tokicos so: suitable direct changeover 4-pots are 01 - 03 GSX-R600 or 00 - 03 GSX-R750

Which is what I put in my original post (second bullet)  :onya:

VladTepes

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

seth

this is a pic ftom the old org
unfortunately all the details are there with no access
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

gsxbarmy

V_i_c_i

Quote from: seth on Thursday, 16 February  2017, 04:04 AM

It is radial brake adapter from ebay or japan webike and brembo M4 or M50 calipers.... I have this in my to do list in future....

Mick_J

Quote from: V_i_c_i on Saturday, 11 March  2017, 06:52 PM
Quote from: seth on Thursday, 16 February  2017, 04:04 AM

It is radial brake adapter from ebay or japan webike and brembo M4 or M50 calipers.... I have this in my to do list in future....

I think that's a picture from Veemanzero's bike.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

kja

Which master cylinder do you run with the 4 pot calipers? Just bought a pair of SV1000 calipers, and I'm wondering if another master cylinder is needed to compliment the smaller calipers.

Del

I think you will be fine with the standard master cylinder - it is a Nissin unit and a fairly good one - the area used on the 6 pots and the 4 pots should be relatively the same surface area as the 4 pots having larger pistons

I know a fair few folk that have done this conversion on the ZX9r and they all (or mostly) use the standard M/C
All Lives Matter
...until you multiply them by the speed of light squared. Then all lives energy.

A 'feuchainn gu cruaidh gus fuck a thoirt seachad - ach gu mì-fhortanach a' fàilligeadh

kja

Just a quick update, I stripped and rebuilt a pair od SV1000 calipers with new pads, but I also had to swap the oem discs for some others I had, not only are the four pot Tokico's an absolute doddle to bleed up, but wow, I now have one finger brakes!

VladTepes

I have 4-pot Tokico's with the standard M/C and its absolutely fine. As kja says the braking is nice.....

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk