News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Who fancies a 24 litre (5.25 UK gallon) tank

Started by Speedy1959, Monday, 25 September 2017, 04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve porter

I can recognize a good idea when it hits me in the head, so I did mine on Sunday with a punch and followed through with a Phillips head, and yes it was very easy to penetrate

VladTepes

I really should get around to this.  Two stages - small then larger driver? Or three?
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

KiwiCol

😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Eric GSX1400K3

Yep 2  start with a flat bladed one as suggested then a std Phillips.

DONT twist the Phillips to make the hole bigger, as this causes filings to come off, luckily the Phillips I used was pretty new and so still relatively strong magnetically, so all the filings stayed on the tip.  The steel of the filler neck is so thin you can nearly push the Phillips through by hand.  I used a rubber mallet too by the way.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Kiwifruit

Good to cover the tank well..... just in case you misfire    :facepalm:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Eric GSX1400K3

I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

grog

something very easy being made difficult. No. 2 phillips , hit with hammer. job done.

DP1400

It seems that my `14 may be the only one left without the extra hole in the fuel tank!
At my age i`m very happy to be stopping every 120miles to refuel, have a coffee, a cigarette, and try to re-adjust my weary frame! :)

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: DP1400 on Friday, 21 February  2020, 07:45 AM
It seems that my `14 may be the only one left without the extra hole in the fuel tank!
At my age i`m very happy to be stopping every 120miles to refuel, have a coffee, a cigarette, and try to re-adjust my weary frame! :)
Maybe true, but its actually not an extra hole, its just making the existing hole a bit bigger so the tank can breathe properly. The benefit is it allows a few extra litres of fuel.  Downside is that if you max fill the tank then park it in the sun, it will probably leak fuel via the overflow. Maybe not a big issue for the UK contingent i guess.... :stir: As per the  OP, only max fill it when going on a long ride straight after.

Stepdoug

Just looked at my k6 no hole in the tank neck
But I do have two beside the filler neck so is it worth making them larger. ?

Hooli

No!

Those are the drain for if it's overfilled and link to a pipe that runs through the tank. You'll make it leak.

Stepdoug

Speedy1959

Quote from: Stepdoug on Sunday, 02 October  2022, 05:57 PM
Just looked at my k6 no hole in the tank neck
But I do have two beside the filler neck so is it worth making them larger. ?

I initially used a bent electriciand screwdriver to start my hole in the neck..
I used a rubber mallet to hit the handle of the screwdrivers / Punches.
The idea is to get the hole as high up the neck as possible..
Once the initial small hole is made you can progress to larger and larger till you have around 6mm

Even though I say it myself it is genuinely a worthwhile mod and NOT a gimmick!

GSXKING

Best I've ever done is 370km's after I filled tank on centre stand to almost over flowing. I've never had the modification.  :boogie:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Mick_J

I never do any mods to my bike that can't be easily reversed.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk