Who fancies a 24 litre (5.25 UK gallon) tank

Started by Speedy1959, Monday, 25 September 2017, 04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Tony Nitrous on Monday, 25 September  2017, 05:15 PM
Any job that involves me hitting something with a hammer gets my vote.

I'll get my special Suzuki tool kit at the ready....

I thought that was Triumph Service Tool No's 1,2,3,4,5,....... :happy1:
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

VladTepes

Tony the best thing about the GSX1400 is that your tool kit will all fit under the seat !
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Andre

Quote from: KiwiCol on Monday, 25 September  2017, 04:43 PM
There is a small hole already in that location.

Yep, there is a small hole already (K2). If you have the patience to trickle-fill...

I have to wait either way as mine is missing the drain hose. Wouldn't want to get overflowing petrol on a hot engine.

Speedy1959

Not in the location where I punched my hole there isnt !

Andre

Quote from: Speedy1959 on Monday, 02 October  2017, 03:01 AM
Not in the location where I punched my hole there isnt !

Looks that way

Tony Nitrous

Yes.

Mines just the same Andre.

AU 9/08 complianced and breather hole is exactly the same.

Speedy1959

Andre...
To be totally honest I didn't look that far up inside the tank so for all I know my bike could well have had a pin prick sized hole...
Humble pie has been eaten on my part.. :embarrassed:

I punched the hole as high up as a straight electricians screw driver would allow ON THE RIGHT SIDE of the filler..
If I am brimming my tank I always use my side stand now as the enlarged hole is at the highest point on the tank (nit picking I know).
Overall this simple alteration of a microscopic hole means I am 2 miles down the road with a truly full tank whilst un altered bikers are still dribbling a half cup at a time into the filler neck.
My original point was that without doing major damage to your bike you can make it much easier to live with.

Once again I stress that I only brim it to the very top if I am doing an immediate ride out..
The point is I now have the choice.

Hope this clarifies my original rantings..

S.

Andre

I would have never seen the pin prick hole if it were not for your recommendation. I felt it with my finger first. Was not easy to capture it on the camera.

I will definitely enlarge it. Simple procedure to get a 24 liter tank (without staying at the pump forever). Don't mind to see the 1st bar of the fuel gauge drop at 100 miles instead of 80 :)

Thanks for your tip.

grog

i will have a look, if tiny hole is there ill enlarge it. one of the best mods ive ever read.   :worshippy:

KiwiCol

Did this mod on the Blue tonight. Easy to do & fills fast now.  It's up to you how much you put in though, just to the neck or brim it. Least you have an easy choice with this simple mod.  Thx Speedy.

:cheers:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

grog

Did mine today. Bit daunting hitting into fuel tank with a hammer, harder to think about than do. Will go the big fill, see how much goes in.

Andre

grog

Col, you did say a 3 foot screwdriver, is that why i now have a hole leaking thru side of tank?  :rofl2: :rofl2:

lil4399

Quote from: Tony Nitrous on Monday, 25 September  2017, 05:15 PM
Any job that involves me hitting something with a hammer gets my vote.

I'll get my special Suzuki tool kit at the ready....

Do you also have a selection of Gaff Tapes to complete a full tool kit?   :stir:
If you are going to run out of fuel, do it in your garage.

It's only a short walk to the kettle.

Speedy1959

Well done Col...
when I did mine I stuffed a piece of foam into the neck of the filler to keep the fumes to a minimum just in case I did make a spark..

But as a science friend said to me..
Fill the tank and do the mod..
If the tank is filled then there is no room for the vapour to collect.

As you brave souls (who have done the mod) have said..
It does no major damage and you dont even need to mention it if you sell the bike..

I have done this mod to many different bikes over the past 3 years...

Glad it was a help to those who have done the mod.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk