News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Who fancies a 24 litre (5.25 UK gallon) tank

Started by Speedy1959, Monday, 25 September 2017, 04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: mjgt on Monday, 03 October  2022, 07:43 PM
I never do any mods to my bike that can't be easily reversed.
But Mjt, who'd want to poke another hole in the tank from the outside?
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Will14

Apologies for covering old ground, I had a look at my filler neck today and on first inspection there was no hole so I had a bit of a prod with a small pick and discovered that the hole had been blocked with something which I was able to remove with a bit of pressure (hopefully the teabag will collect whatever it was) I then went on to carry out the mod with a couple of different size Philips screwdrivers so all good now

I have been thinking about this today a bit, would the original hole being blocked have any impact on how the bike would run? Originally I convinced myself it would but the more that i'm thinking about it the more I think it wouldn't  :confused1: Anybody have a view on this?   

Speedy1959

Quote from: Will14 on Monday, 19 June  2023, 06:16 AMApologies for covering old ground, I had a look at my filler neck today and on first inspection there was no hole so I had a bit of a prod with a small pick and discovered that the hole had been blocked with something which I was able to remove with a bit of pressure (hopefully the teabag will collect whatever it was) I then went on to carry out the mod with a couple of different size Philips screwdrivers so all good now

I have been thinking about this today a bit, would the original hole being blocked have any impact on how the bike would run? Originally I convinced myself it would but the more that i'm thinking about it the more I think it wouldn't  :confused1: Anybody have a view on this?   

Now you have done the mod you will know if she runs better..
I am not convinced it would make a difference to the overflow/vent tube from the tank.
The point of the mod is to allow (if you want to) to brim the tank at the start of a good ride out..
The beauty of this idea is that you dont have to brim it.. You can stop pumping fuel in when its at the bottom of the tank filler tube.
Obvoiusly dont brim it then leave it parked in the sun..
S

Will14

Quote from: Speedy1959 on Monday, 19 June  2023, 07:37 AM
Quote from: Will14 on Monday, 19 June  2023, 06:16 AMApologies for covering old ground, I had a look at my filler neck today and on first inspection there was no hole so I had a bit of a prod with a small pick and discovered that the hole had been blocked with something which I was able to remove with a bit of pressure (hopefully the teabag will collect whatever it was) I then went on to carry out the mod with a couple of different size Philips screwdrivers so all good now

Now you have done the mod you will know if she runs better..
I am not convinced it would make a difference to the overflow/vent tube from the tank.
The point of the mod is to allow (if you want to) to brim the tank at the start of a good ride out..
The beauty of this idea is that you dont have to brim it.. You can stop pumping fuel in when its at the bottom of the tank filler tube.
Obvoiusly dont brim it then leave it parked in the sun..
S
Hi Speedy, I totally agree with you, however as the original hole in my filler neck was blocked I wondered if this may have caused additional pressure inside the tank, or even an air lock in the tank restricting fuel flow  :confused1:

As you say, the proof will be found when next riding the bike

Cheers 

Kiwifruit

Out on a ride recently, got to shaking the bike. Pleased I didn't run it dry. Put 23.7 litres in it..... Close  :facepalm:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk