News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Suitable Engine Oils

Started by VladTepes, Monday, 23 January 2017, 10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seth

50k more miles and mine should look the same then  :boogie: :hat: :boogie2:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

grog

ireckon youre right Seth. know nothing about halfords but seems to work.

Hooli

Halfords is a national car spares chain, so I've no idea who really makes their oils.

seth

i also have no idea who's oil Halfords actually is but have heard its from a main big oil supplier bottled for them .
I'll try and find out when I'm next in as i know the manager of my local halfords branch.
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

gsxbarmy

Given Halfords is owned (or a big part of) Burmah Oil.....?
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

grog

saw today, gulf western synnex3000 at repco until june 11. 25 bucks for 5 litres. that is a good buy for you aussies.

DanGSX

Quote from: KoZi on Sunday, 04 June  2017, 08:37 PM
Quote from: jeyey on Sunday, 04 June  2017, 01:30 AM
Any opinion on Silkolene Pro 4 10W40 (100% sythethic) ?

In this year I have Silkolene Comp 4 10w40. In my opinion verry good oil. I have comparison with Ipone 10w40 and Motul 5100 Ester 10w40.
Temp of engine in different conditions are verry similar.
On cold, engine sounds best on Silkolene. Also gearbox is working best on Silkolene. Smooth and lightest gear on. In visior of check oil level Silkolene is long time transparent. Longer that Motul And Ipone. This is my personal opinion  ;) Bad things ? Silkolene is little more expensive than others.

Have used Silkolene Comp 4 for years now. Switched between that and Castrol Power 1, but in the end, I firmly believe the Silkolene is better. Just seemed to heat up much quicker with a cold engine and the gear shifts are like silk.

Buddynq

Would climate make any difference to peoples choices of oil?
For Example - The Tropics.
My garage floor will never rust

grog

cairns a bit warmer than here for sure. mate lives at port douglas. just uses recod. oil in his and he flogs them. just choose your preferred and go with whats said to use. oil choice is a huge can of worms, everyone has a fave. not worth talking about. i use ryco rmz102 filter and synnex 3000 gulf western. around $45 for a change. repco have both. works fine for me. 4litre of silkolene will cost 75 plus a top up bottle to fill. gearchange is better with synnex than silko. yes, ive tried both.

Kiwifruit

I use Gulf Western Synnex 3000 as recommended by Grog. I change between 4-5 thousand kms. Comes out very clean, good gear changes. Well happy.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Duran

Same Gulf western fantastic and cheap
Just loving it

Andre

Anyone here with experience/opinions about Mannol 10W-40 semi-synthetic?

grog

mannol gets good reviews. german so should be good. in australia prob. not available just same as no gulf western in europe. if its approved, go with it.

Andre

Not sure what you mean by approved. It is 10W-40, API SL, and JASO MA2. Should be ok then as API SL is a newer standard than SF or SG (as in owners manual) and should include the requirements of the older standards.

Can get it from amazon for 48€/20L. They have a contract for their customers to drop off the old oil at a nation wide car repair chain. That is an issue here as otherwise I have to return the old oil to the place where I got the new from. That costs money for freight and has to be declared as "dangerous substance".  Welcome to the goodness of Germany  :rofl2:

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Kiwifruit on Saturday, 19 August  2017, 06:10 AM
I use Gulf Western Synnex 3000 as recommended by Grog. I change between 4-5 thousand kms. Comes out very clean, good gear changes. Well happy.

My local Supercheap has GW10W40 Syn-X 3000 (semi synthetic) 5L for A$33 or the Syn X 5000 (full synthetic) 5L for A$49.

Both the Syn-X 3000 and 5000 are API SN/CF rated, the Syn-X 5000 is in addition ACEA A3/B4.

I will go the Syn-X 5000 unless there is a valid reason not to.

Fully agree, oils can be a 'slippery subject' (pun intended)   :grin:
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk