News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

replacement fuel pump help needed.

Started by Shane Pashen, Saturday, 15 July 2017, 10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grog

Dont get too upset Snapey. Lots of pricks like that have visited. Annoys me also. The old story, ask for advice then tell you the answer. I try to help, i often have wrong answers but being told the correct is part of this place.

Simonic

Quote from: Andre on Tuesday, 11 June  2019, 06:57 AM
I doubt he will answer Snapey. He only made 2 posts and went off into oblivion. :whatever:
Common courtesy is becoming less common. At least that's my impression.  :sad:

I rather focus on Simonic who made good on his word and reported back. :onya:
Thank You Sir
'04 GSX14,'81 Z1000ST,'71 Dodge Charger Superbee

Basil Brush

Simonic Off topic I know... :embarassed: Nice to meet you at Seaways the other day... :hat:
He who laugh's last - laugh's last...

Simonic

Quote from: Basil Brush on Tuesday, 02 July  2019, 10:21 PM
Simonic Off topic I know... :embarassed: Nice to meet you at Seaways the other day... :hat:
Indeed.... I hope to meet you again at some point  :)
'04 GSX14,'81 Z1000ST,'71 Dodge Charger Superbee

Andre

I need a picture of the inside of the area of the armature where the brush contacts it. If anyone who has replaced their pump could take it apart and post a pic here, I would appreciate it :)

Andre

Quote from: Simonic on Wednesday, 21 November  2018, 11:46 PM
I'm also looking for a new pump. Despite much cleaning thru the current one i'm not getting good pressure at higher revs. There seems to be few options available.
Has anyone used the American High Flow pump from Fuel Performance ?
Thank You
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Intank-EFI-Fuel-Pump-Suzuki-GSX1400-2001-2007/121629207664?epid=19020514906&hash=item1c51aa6c70:g:aicAAOSwQttZxnwE:rk:2:pf:0

I installed a HFP-382SH-02. Don't know yet if that was good or bad. Bike certainly runs well. Afterward I looked at www.highflowfuel.com and discovered that they have 2 models: HFP-384-U and HFP-382SH-U. The HFP-382S seems to have been superceded by the HFP-384-U.

The HFP-382SH-U has the following NOTE: This is a performance 255LPH fuel pump and not a stock replacement. Although it is the same size and dimensions as the stock pump, a 15 amp fuse is required. If you need the stock replacement, please search for HFP-382S.

Let's take a look at what my OEM pump performed after 60700 km.

A while back flow was 950 ml/30 seconds. After cleaning the HP-filter it was 1050 ml/30 sec. Fuel pressure was 41 psi at the most. I had made a mistake and not taken out the valve from one of the measuring hoses. So could not see if pressure was maintained at higher load.

I hooked up a current clamp and connected to an oscilloscope.

4687 RPM and 3.2 Ampere on Average. Expected was 5 Amps on average. The waveform looks crap.

The new HFP-382SH-02 has of 1800 ml/20 seconds. In 30 seconds it would have overfilled the measuring cup. Fuel pressure is 48 PSI at idle and is steady under load. Average current draw is 9.74 Amps and RPM is 7938.

The waveform is good. It is upside down because I forgot to check the direction of the clamp.

It is a beefy pump. Sure have to take a look at the fuse and wiring as max current is 12.3 Amp. Also a heavy load on the charging system. Probably look for an S or U model.

grog

Andre, your thoughts on German MTM fuel pumps. Get good reviews for quality. Very good price.

Andre

Andre

I am satisfied with the Quantum HFP-384-U from www-highflowfuel.com. Electrical Connections on pump are like OEM. Flow 1450 ml/30 Sec., pressure 45 PSI, RPM 6330. Amp average were it should be (4.6).

DZ

This is all great info here and I have also been through other threads RE external fuel filters as well.

Understand there are some nice replacement fuel pumps and good experience with HFP-384-xyz. However, these setups all require the original fuel pressure regulator and filter to be in place, right?

Now, below some pictures of my inherited fuel pump assembly (after one can of carb cleaner used) and not too keen trying to further cleaning or refurbishing it. Would still require a new pump, drill a filter bypass - and who knows what else.

So other options are to put in a new pump (like the HFP above) and some generic fuel pressure regulator with ext filter or maybe consider something like this: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fuel-Pump-15100-42F01-15100-35F20-15100-33E60/dp/B082DRVZCH

(Yes, I could also go OEM, found some in stock for $750 USD or back order for about $750-800 AUD)

Anyone tried this set or has any other suggestions?

Cheers and see images below   :whistling:

Mick_J

Yep, that looks fucked (technical term).
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

GSXKING

GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Andre

DZ

Thanks Andre - that would still require the pressure regulator, right? And, yes - I saw some of the calculations RE FPH so I would double check the numbers before buying. Too much information to soak up and I forgot taking notes while browsing  :confused1: Will do the math before buying, now that you reminded me.

Also, love the humour here...

Took the tank to the shop today and got a stern look "is this yours or did you inherit this?"  :happy1:

Seriously considering an option like this - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/QUANTUM-Fuel-Pump-Reg-Tank-Seal-for-SUZUKI-99-07-Hayabusa-GSX1400-15100-24FB0/380407876613?hash=item5892138c05:g:0dYAAOSwwjVewwwJ

Will double check the specs etc and think through how the setup works and let you know. Of course, until I have pressed the "Buy now" button I will look at / listen to other options.

GSXKING

GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk