News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

5" of travel sounds about right from memory.

Hooli

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Thursday, 06 April  2023, 09:47 AM(no not really,it was "I wonder what hooli is getting x-ray'd")

My shoulder. I've had pain like a trapped nerve in my right arm for three months and constant pins and needles for the last month. Getting bored of it now so went to a doc

I recall the magnet issue. I don't think it's that as the STVA still moves correctly (as far as I remember) when I turn the key on. But if I can't find anything I'll take the TBs off and check it

Milts

Quote from: Hooli on Saturday, 08 April  2023, 08:23 AM5" of travel sounds about right from memory.

Thanks for the reassurance @Hooli I'll get back to it sometime today, for some reason I was expecting the slider to almost disappear into the fork leg 🤦🏼

Btw hope your shoulder improves, some expected it was your neck.😝

Only kidding mucker......top bloke.

grog

Milts, not sure if this applies to your bike. My forks compressed, 10w oil filled to 125mm from top.No idea if all the same. Your compression distance looks ok, i think about what Hooli said.

urbanus

Well....that was an interesting day. 

I took a few hours off kitchen fitting (super exciting life isn't it) to enjoy the arrival of summer sun on the 1400. Nice bendy ride through the French countryside to Moulins with an intention of hunting down some new tyres - the current tyres have a manufacturing date of 0503 as they are the original tyres the bike was shipped with and, although they only have about 3000 miles on them, have gone hard as rock over the last 20 years, who'd have thought they don't last forever. Anyway, about an hour into the ride when the engine was nice and hot I felt the bike hesitate and then conk out in the middle of town.  I quickly jabbed the starter and hey ho, up she came and off I went into the late afternoon traffic. As I gently (remember, rock hard past their use by date tyres) leant the bike into a tight bend on the edge of town, I suddenly caught a strong whiff of my second favourite eau de cologne - Petrol or what passes for petrol now anyway.  I quickly hit the hazards, banged the bike in neutral and hit the kill switch whilst pointing the bike towards the kerb.  As soon as I hopped off I could see petrol pouring out from under the tank and on to my lovely ignition source - the cooking engine.
Seriously, I don't think I have ever moved off a bike so fast .  Quickly got the seat off as my phone, wallet, Carte Gris were all under it and I had already seen in my head the crispy remains of my worldly goods and my lovely 1400.
I decided I loved my bike more than common sense allowed and stood there with my hand under the tank trying to find and stem the leak whilst hoping the petrol was going to evaporate with the heat before igniting.
To cut this short, it was the low level feed pipe which had fractured.  I managed to get my tank off, cut the pipe shorted using my teeth (no knife in the Suzuki tool kit) make the repair and get to the shop to order the new rubber, all without spontaneously combusting. 
Tomorrow I'm replacing the pipe and seeing if anybody makes a bike fire extinguisher!!

Dwain Dibley

Glad it all worked out for you..... Makes me happy that I changed all my fuel tubes recently tho.

D.D.
To Infirmity and Beyond.. :-)

grog

Lucky Man Urbanus. Your teeth must be better than mine. Buy yourself a multi tool, Leatherman etc, worth carrying i reckon. I just had a read up, technically illegal for me to have in Queensland, either carrying or stored in vehicle. WTF. Reckon id fight that one.

Hooli

I've had that pipe split too, but not as badly as yours sounds like

The good news is petrol evaporates to quick in the open to explode from heat, so you're safe once the ignition is off as there's no risk of sparks.

When you replace the pipe put a small inline filter in, flowing from the beck of tank forwards. Seth suggested it years ago and it catches a lot of crap before it gets to the teabag filter.

grog

Thats prompted me, hose n filter been sitting in shed for yonks.Next job.Hooli, i know not supposed to flame up, did for my Mate,cost him 5 months in hospital. 

The Stumeister

I tried to fit an ignition advancer today....kindly given to me by Seth but can't loosen the allan bolt off the original timing rotor....bugger.A simple 5 min job turning into a pain,need a hex bit on a socket to try and loosen it and an impact driver..

urbanus

Quote from: grog on Sunday, 09 April  2023, 05:08 PMLucky Man Urbanus. Your teeth must be better than mine. Buy yourself a multi tool, Leatherman etc, worth carrying i reckon. I just had a read up, technically illegal for me to have in Queensland, either carrying or stored in vehicle. WTF. Reckon id fight that one.
Hi Grog,  They are still my teeth so I'm pleased with that at least :)  Normally I carry a leatherman as every Frenchman I ever meet carrys a folding knife on their belt to cut apples, eat cheese etc.etc with so I thought I'd join the club but yesterday I was in a rush and forgot to put it on - typical!
Legality wise, I know the UK is stupidly stringet with knife carrying, no common sense seems to be applied but what I love about the French is that, although that law is probably in existence here too, they think "sod that" and do it anyway and the police only have a problem with it under certain circumstances - if you use common sense they don't see an issue with it.

Hooli

I've been thinking about my C28 error and how it fails.

Initially the STVA is correct, doing the normal movement when the ignition is turned on.I get fast idle when the bike starts but then the fast idle climbs as the STVA goes to full rotation and then the code appears.
Now it says elsewhere in the manual that the ECU only knows the position of the STVA by comparing the TPS and SPS readings, which makes sense as there's only two wires to the STVA.
I think I've got a failed SPS so the ECU isn't seeing any movement from the STVA. Therefore the ECU flags a STVA error.
I'll test the SPS later but might end up getting a replacement anyway. After all it's original and I'm on my third TPS, none of which tested faulty when they failed.

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Hooli on Monday, 10 April  2023, 08:53 PMI've been thinking about my C28 error and how it fails.

Initially the STVA is correct, doing the normal movement when the ignition is turned on.I get fast idle when the bike starts but then the fast idle climbs as the STVA goes to full rotation and then the code appears.
Now it says elsewhere in the manual that the ECU only knows the position of the STVA by comparing the TPS and SPS readings, which makes sense as there's only two wires to the STVA.
I think I've got a failed SPS so the ECU isn't seeing any movement from the STVA. Therefore the ECU flags a STVA error.
I'll test the SPS later but might end up getting a replacement anyway. After all it's original and I'm on my third TPS, none of which tested faulty when they failed.
let us know how you get on, with mine the error comes up at random on a ride, seems after a sudden throttle opening, like when overtaking. I get proper fast idle and it then settles down to 1100 rpm once warm.

If I'm gentle with the throttle it won't pop up, but if I'm turning the wick up, it seems to occur.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Will14

Not so much today but over the last month or so I have done a bit of a strip down and refurb, Wheels out and removed the tyres so could get the 22 year old white wheels repainted (white) while they were away at the painters the swing arm was removed & the bearings cleaned and re-greased, and a good old clean while access was good. The chain and rear sprocket was replaced with a new endless DID gold chain & JT Sprocket, new Koyo bearing in the sprocket carrier, clutch slave stripped, cleaned & greased. The two alloy engine casings and a spare set of rear shock springs were sent away to be powder coated, the springs in the original silver came back looking great the casings not so great so they have been replaced with a polished set that I managed to pickup at a reasonable price and all refitted with new gaskets and a bit of sealant where needed. It took the painter a few weeks to turn the wheels around but well worth the wait, a new set of Pirelli Angel ST's were then fitted (these are what I had last time and have to say they are still a great tyre even at £175 the pair & £20 to fit and balance, then new Koyo wheel bearings front & rear with a bit of extra high temp grease under the rubber seals. All fitted back together then replaced the front sprocket as its so much easier with the rear wheel in place, front & rear brake fluid changed as well as clutch fluid & everything tightened back up and re-torqued followed by a bit of a test ride, so smooth its hard to believe that she will be 22 in August! And another final clean and polish

I have never been quite able to get her running 100% even after some Dyno time, I have tried all sorts, setting up the TPS, balancing throttle bodies, trying different air filters and checking and replacing vacuum hoses, she always started and ran OK but just not quite as good I know they can run, I always had a bit of a feeling that the ECU may have been flashed with a Yoshi box before my ownership, anyway I saw an ECU on ebay for £300+ with a best offer option, so I put in a cheeky bid of £100 inc postage and won it, that has now been fitted and the difference at start up and idle is noticeably much better, no popping through the end cans and idles so much smoother and crisper, I'm yet to test it on the road so will keep the old ECU under the seat for a while, just to be safe     

So that should be me sorted for a while now, no engine service as only done a few hundred miles ago, possibly the fork seals sometime soon with genuine seals but leaving well alone for now as all is good, brake pads are good also for a while, just need to get her out now  :boogie2:

GSXKING

@will14 you've been very thorough in both the work undertaken & reporting it, we'll done 🥇🥇🥇
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk