News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Is this from the gas tank ?

Started by Jeykey, Wednesday, 22 April 2020, 08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeykey

Due to confinement decided to do some maintenance today, cleaned the "tea bag" filter and what a lot of gunk I found. Took a look inside the tank but the rust seemed very light , nothing special, even worth cleaning. Mounted the tank, but then stupid thought: that gunk must come from the nooks and crannies I can´t see inside. Should´ve analysed the stuff ! What do you think ? Strip the tank again and clean it with vinegar ? And for resealing ?

seth

That's not really bad
Looks like the teabag is doing it's job .
The rust could have come from the fuel stations you have filled up at .
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

DP1400

Agree.

If the bike is running ok i`d leave well alone :onya:. The danger with cleaning out the tank yourself is that you may dislodge crud and not get it all out, then you`ll have problems.

Jeykey

Quote from: DP1400 on Wednesday, 22 April  2020, 05:04 PM
Agree.

If the bike is running ok i`d leave well alone :onya:. The danger with cleaning out the tank yourself is that you may dislodge crud and not get it all out, then you`ll have problems.

That´s what I was thinking, I´ll leave it for now. Agree, it´s not that bad. Thanks.

Hooli

They all do that sir!

Do Seth's mod of a filter in the low pressure line from the back of the tank to the swirl pot & every time you accelerate properly it'll catch a load in the cheap filter.

seth

Sethbot Postwhore

Jeykey

Thanks Seth. Hadn´t seen this one yet !  Most probably will do it. Just a simple filter, no pressure considerations here ?

seth

Yes just a simple filter .
The fuel pump is gravity fed from the rear of the tank no pressure involved .
Stops most of the crap in the tank full reaching the teabag filter and us easier to check and to clean .
Good luck  :cheers:

Sethbot Postwhore

Jeykey

Thanks for the info Seth. Will do it for sure. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk