Rear sprocket was loose

Started by Speedy1959, Sunday, 07 May 2023, 10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedy1959

Blimey...
Was lubricationg my chain after a ride out and noticed a sprocket nut and stud was unwound be about half an inch!!
I checked all of them and ALL were barely tweaked up..
Never had a sprocket loosen itself before..
To be honest if I hadnt seen the stud / Nut unwound I may never have checked them!

S

Tally

Lucky escape there speedy, that could have been a catastrophic failure to proceed. That could have been the ER or the morgue. It proves regular checks and maintenance can save your life.

KiwiCol

Those sprocket nuts are (or should be) lock nuts, so they can't come undone.  Are the right ones fitted Si?
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Hooli

Ive seen a stud unwind on a VFR, it'd eaten halfway through the single sided swingarm before getting noticed.

The loon rode it around Europe for another week at high speed before heading home.

Speedy1959

Quote from: KiwiCol on Monday, 08 May  2023, 04:45 AMThose sprocket nuts are (or should be) lock nuts, so they can't come undone.  Are the right ones fitted Si?

Hi Col,
They seem to be the correct ones.. Bikes only done aroumd 11k miles so is still on the original chain / sprockets.
I sprayed the threads of the studs and the nuts with brake cleaner then a leberal dose of Locktite removable.

Thankfully the unwound stud hadnt reached the swing arm..
I dont know how long the nuts have been literally finger tight..

Thanks for your comments..

S.

gsxbarmy

Given they are the original nuts that's very worrying Simon. For safety, I'd consider purchasing a new set of OEM lock nuts and replace those in place

Good job finding that though 👍
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Tony Nitrous

Well saved !

Never seen it with stock parts.
I know a couple have done it with aftermarket anodised bling that wasn't suitable.

grog

Maybe the factory Suzuki bloke was the same one that did front caliper up on my bike. Finger tight also.

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: grog on Monday, 08 May  2023, 05:35 PMMaybe the factory Suzuki bloke was the same one that did front caliper up on my bike. Finger tight also.

Who ever he was he wasn't busy putting grease in my steering head bearings...  :frustrated:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk