What air filter?

Started by mikesaa309, Saturday, 07 April 2018, 11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikesaa309

Hi all,

My GSX14 has been back firing a fair bit recently though does sound good  :devil: Also noticing performance isn't what it used to be. Wondering if this could be down to the air filter and I've done over the service interval millage so figured I'm going to replace air filter, do a much needed oil and filter change which I've kept putting off due to weather being crap and also to replace spark plugs as I'm sure I've done over the millage for them now as well lol.

I looked on wemoto for air filters and there's a HIFLO filter, K&N performance and a Simota performance air filter. I've heard K&N filter restricts the air flow more than the OEM one so just want some info on what filter to get or if anyone has any recommendations? 

T 24

gsxbarmy

Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Andre

shanered6

I agree OEM .... and as a matter of corse if your ever in doubt about anything on your bike go OEM you wont go far wrong  :onya:
i intend to live for ever or die trying !!

Gsx 1400 k6 , Thunderace 1000 , Guzzi stelvio 1200 ntx

Speedy1959

grog

OEM, $120 in Oz.i buy these from Poland. perfect quality. now says he doesnt post here, he will. 6 for the price of one OEM. waste of money buying Suxuki gen. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KR-Luftfilter-Air-filter-SUZUKI-GSX-1400-GSX1400-02-07-/160880859473?pt=DE_Motorradteile&hash=item25753f1951

Mick_J

I have a HiFlo on mine and it works perfectly, no difference in performance but cheaper.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

seth

The original OME filters had a slightly bigger inlet and flowed more air but the suzuki ones you get now are no better or worse than any other air filter so any is ok .
K&n are re-useable if you clean them .
I use hiflo filter in the14's that have airbox's as cheap and work just fine.
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Hooli

I miss the proper OEM ones, I can feel the difference with slightly worse pick up and MPG since I changed mine out. It'd done about 50k so it was rather overdue & had gone rusty.

PWM

I use a Jap Simota filter, but I also have a full yoshi ststem.
Too many old women around here.

northern

I replace my Hiflo to Suzuki OEM.
Hiflo intake is 39mm, OEM intake is 48mm - it's area is 34% bigger than hiflo one. Also it's slightly higher - also easy to get air throw.

Local prices are ~25€ for Hiflo and 35€ for oem, so my choice from now on is Suzuki OEM.

T 24

@northern , If you test those two filters you can feel the bigger intake hole at higher revs, the same happened to me, when I girnded bigger and smoothened the intake hole of my K&N. It was 48 to 54 mm if I can remember correct. That is why the OEM filter is faster.

Andre

Thank you @northern for measuring. The added "inner tubing" on the hiflo can't be good either. I don't know where the original test data is, but I have read several times that a dyno test (on a 14) was done with OEM vs various aftermarkets.

grog

So which do i get, im all for bigger inlet. New oem have smaller inlet, i measured. Spend $200 on the japanese option? Will re measure my pure quality polish one. Yes Andre, they are good quality. 40 th ks, no probs. Bigger inlet option , tell me what to buy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk