News:

Welcome GSX1400 enthusiasts !

Main Menu

What air filter?

Started by mikesaa309, Saturday, 07 April 2018, 11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andre

@grog  I certainly would not spend 125€ (200 Aus. $) on an airfilter. That's ridiculous!

I am certain northern has a new OEM and that has obviously a larger inlet than the Hiflo. Appears to me that many cheapos are patterned after the Hiflo (as per pics on the net). Maybe the inner tubing, which I think is restrictive, does just the opposite by increasing speed of airflow  :confused1: (didn't study flow dynamics  :bugga: ) Others here say that they work just fine.

@Hooli Didn't you modify the aftermarket (Hifo type?). What is the result, any improvement?

Anyone here have the measurement of the older OEM filters to compare to northerns's measurement?

grog

Andre, really not concerned. My polish works fine.for stupid amount it cost, chaeap i mean, no prob. Has been to a one off brave night to 240. Ill just keep same. At my work we raplace at least 50 air filters a week, all diff brands, diff countries of making. Never had a failure. Only failure i can think of was kn, foam went thru turbo, destroyed turbo.

northern

Quote from: Andre on Tuesday, 08 May  2018, 08:29 PM
I am certain northern has a new OEM...

Proof! [emoji846]

Hooli

Quote from: Andre on Tuesday, 08 May  2018, 07:07 PM
Thank you @northern for measuring. The added "inner tubing" on the hiflo can't be good either. I don't know where the original test data is, but I have read several times that a dyno test (on a 14) was done with OEM vs various aftermarkets.

Somewhere on the old ORG I think.

T 24

@grog , Foam?? Isn't K&N made of cotton?

grog

T24, yeah cotton. I think they have foam pre filters on some. Lots of reasons it couldve failed. Wrong oil, not fitted properly etc etc. i wouldnt blame the filter, they make millions of them. Good filters.

matula

This talk about the OEM filter´s good features is true. Small increase in bellmouth´s size has a big impression for engine´s breath. I had a Bonneville SE some years ago and made a modification in that called "Polaris bellmouth-tune" From the first test run You felt the difference. Mod helped the engine to run more willingly. Some Bonneville users have measured hp after that tune and they claim that they got some hp more with that tune. Anyway the bike felt to run more freely. Any gear, any rpm.

I recommend also the OEM filter to GSX 1400. Why on earth to restrict air flow for some €:s cheaper air filter?

Hooli

Quote from: Andre on Tuesday, 08 May  2018, 08:29 PM
@Hooli Didn't you modify the aftermarket (Hifo type?). What is the result, any improvement?

I did. It's much improved, not sure it's quite as good as a proper OEM filter but about 80% of the way there I'd say. No more strangled noise when opening the throttle & improved MPG to prove it's not being choked.

If the OEM ones coming out now are right I'll get one next time, last time I looked at anywhere it showed the K2 filter superseded by the later one which appeared smaller/more restrictive (I can't recall exactly) in the pics.

Kiwifruit

I just got caught out. HIFLO air filter has a lot smaller inlet. Back to the shop, order OEM.  :thumbs_down:
Just ordered OEM filter and its $7.50 cheaper at $62.00.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Sweaty

I put a Hiflo in mine 6 months because of the stupid price of OEM over here, but can't say I noticed a difference. Maybe there is  :confused1:
How did you mod yours Hooli?

Kiwifruit

Local Suzuki dealer wants $114.00 for OEM so l use a small Suzuki dealer an hour away. $62 + $9 courier.....job done.

What do you pay in Sydney Sweaty ?
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Bielie45

I run a BMC in mine
From memory.....
The old org tests about the air filters was to show there was no improvement using the "performance " air filter over the genuine and OEM like most other bikes gain from the "performance" filters meaning the airbox on the 14 was designed very well

grog

$56 here, priced oem just a while back. were $129 few years ago. mine from Poland, work perfectly, no one interested so never bothered again. $20 landed. same quality as oem i reckon. goes exact same, sounds same. if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck. we all know the answer.

KiwiCol

Quote from: grog on Tuesday, 07 August  2018, 06:57 PM
$56 here, priced oem just a while back. were $129 few years ago. mine from Poland, work perfectly, no one interested so never bothered again. $20 landed. same quality as oem i reckon. goes exact same, sounds same. if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck. we all know the answer.
A Polish Air Filter?

I've got some of them too, think I brought 4 a while ago.  Seem fine to me too. Mind you, the black it's fitted in does have a 'sooty' looking can.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

grog

Col, dont blame the filter, ulp will do that. mines same, was with oem filter. 50 mpg, nothing wrong.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk