News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Now New owner of a 1400

Started by BlueDragon, Sunday, 21 April 2019, 07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueDragon

Purchased the 1400 a few weeks ago.  Been trying to clean it up.

I think I should start a new TV series called "Bike Rescued from previous owner"..

The amount of neglect was hidden..  the more I've taken it apart the more I find that needs to be fixed.

I did the standard things like oil and spark plug change.  Then through talking to Teufel and some research, found that I could replace the sight glass in the master cylinders - both of which you could barely see anything (I'll post more pics).

The fluid in the top of both reservoirs looked reasonable - but I planned on changing it anyway..  but...  the bottom of the reservoir, the fluid was like a thick sludge.. 

After doing the clutch side, I then removed all the sprocket covers and found a massive (inch thick easily) amount of crud build up and it was a wonder the clutch actuator rod even moved..  Lots of cleaning later it was better, but then noticed all the other crud built up everywhere around the frame as well..    I removed the Scottoiler - not doubt the culprit of the crud.. funny thing is that the previous owner didn't know if it was working - I found that one of the zip ties was so tight it was blocking the hose..  won't be putting it  back on...  I've never been a fan of Scott Oilers and prefer to take the time and spray chain lube on the chain myself and regularly maintain my bikes..  being an ex-mechanic assistant (after school) back in the 80's when my brother owned a motorcycle shop.  If anyone is interested in buying the ScottOiler, I'll post it up in the for sale section once I clean it up.

I then put my attention to the fuel tank as along the welded seams at the base of the tank, there were a few paint chips and a little rust build up. So thought I would clean it up and put some touch up paint on..  what happened next?  a comedy... as 3 spots sprung leaks as fuel started to weep out - seems that the paint was the only thing holding the fuel in..

Not to mention the rear sprocket carrier bearing..  I purchased a full bearing kit for the rear..  but the sprocket carrier when I inspected the bike had a small amount of movement - a few mm left and right..  but when I took it all apart the bearing was shot to pieces...  at least I was prepared for it.

BlueDragon

BlueDragon

Sight Glass Replacement

BlueDragon

My 1400..  rescue :smile2: :smile2:

Bob

Nice rescue, bike looks great.
I agree about Scottoilers too, I had one with the extra resevoir that after a 500 mile trip when I took the panniers off it had dumped the entire contents over the rear wheel  :thumbs_down:

Kiwifruit

Looks to be coming along nicely BD  :onya:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Del

All Lives Matter
...until you multiply them by the speed of light squared. Then all lives energy.

A 'feuchainn gu cruaidh gus fuck a thoirt seachad - ach gu mì-fhortanach a' fàilligeadh

Notty

Looking good - so much neglect by the previous owner - didn't realise you got rust in Oz !  :)
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Mrg

That's a nice lot of work you have done there mate  well done and welcome to our family 1402  :cheers:  :onya:
look check and look again  then you see the fool

BlueDragon

And the work continues.

Just some of the rubbish that was in the tank.  The rest is still in there some sticking to the sides and the other bits are half peeling off.

Looks like some previous owner tried to line the tank and did a bad job of it.  Looking at the huge chunks of rubbish.

The tea bag fuel filter was so clogged, I'm amazed that the bike even ran when I test rode it..

Think I'll junk this tank and hunt down another one.

Mrg

Can't believe that the bike ran even like that wow 😳
look check and look again  then you see the fool

BlueDragon

Yeah, its got me wondering how the bike will go now that I've cleaned out the fuel filter when I can get my hands on a new tank..  Something to look forward to.

ARH

You've got to wonder what the hell goes through people's minds when you see shoddy work/maintenance like that  :whatever:
Good luck BlueDragon... god knows what else you're going to find!

BlueDragon

Well, I've taken most of the bike apart now.

I've had to cut part of the base of the fuel tank out - and no surprise, things got "worse" in that I then removed even more tank sealer rubbish..

I've ended up ordering a new fuel tank.  Whilst I thought about the second hand ones on ebay - the end cost was going to be nearly the same price as a new tank - once the ebay tank was dent repaired and then stripped back and re-sprayed the right colour, then Suzuki decals are not cheap.  So it was better economics to buy a new tank and not worry about rust or anything else for that matter. 

That said - I'll be having the original tank base re-welded back in and then I'll let it sit with vinegar filled up to the top for a few days, to remove any remaining rust.  Then flush it out with fuel and use it as a spare tank.  I certainly won't be putting tank liner back in it.

At least I haven't found any more surprises.

Plus the information on this forum has proven to be extremely helpful.  Rebuilding the rear shock preload adjusters and other things. 

Speedy1959

Your bike will love you for your efforts..
Its very lucky to have "escaped" the previous owners "Care" !!
Well done you for rescuing her..
They are a fabulous engine unit.

S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk