News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Thread size ?

Started by Speedy1959, Thursday, 03 August 2023, 08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedy1959

Hi all,

Does anyone know what size tap I will need for the exhaust header bolts?
For cleaning the thread after I've finally removed the part seized bolts.

Thanks in advance.

S.

Hooli

You want a thread chaser not a tap. Taps cut so can remove the existing thread, a chaser is designed to just clean it up.

As to the size, dunno sorry, I'd guess M8xwhatever is normal(1.25?). I know when I replaced one years ago I had a bolt to hand so wasn't any unusual size.

Mick_J

Or cut a slot in one of your old bolts and use that.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

hard road

ive always used a tap, M8 x 1.25

gsxbarmy

Or fit a set of studs instead of re-using the bolts

GSX1400 Exhaust Studs Link

Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Speedy1959

Speedy1959

gsxbarmy

Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Speedy1959

Quote from: gsxbarmy on Friday, 04 August  2023, 04:25 PM
Quote from: Speedy1959 on Friday, 04 August  2023, 03:33 PM
Quote from: gsxbarmy on Friday, 04 August  2023, 07:31 AMOr fit a set of studs instead of re-using the bolts

GSX1400 Exhaust Studs Link

And the size ?

All bolt sizes are in this sticky @Speedy1959 - look under Exhaust

https://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=194.0

Ah, Thanks Mr Barmy..
Just located some high quality stainless studs and ordered them..
Makes sense over bolts..
3 of my stainles bolts were seized VERY badly !!

Thanlks again,

S.

grog

Have a read up first Speedy, stainless studs in aluminium hate each other, one eats the other.Its a big can of worms, read and decide.Titanium studs are best, no corrosion.

hard road

one thing I always do when I get another bike is take out the bolts and fit new ones, use a bit of copper slip on them. then once a year take them out and clean them up. if I rode all year round then maybe twice a year. its not a big job to do and only takes 30 minuets of your time. its called maintenance  :onya:   

Speedy1959

Quote from: grog on Friday, 04 August  2023, 06:32 PMHave a read up first Speedy, stainless studs in aluminium hate each other, one eats the other.Its a big can of worms, read and decide.Titanium studs are best, no corrosion.

Thanks Grog.
I don't fancy plain steel bolts so not a lot of choice ( and noooo I do want Titanium ones).
I'm going with Barry's suggestion of studs.
Thereby not bothered if studs seize as it's the nuts I would undo anyway in the event of exhaust removal.
I'm still amazed that the previous owner who converted my bike to the earlier 4 into 2 system ( which I really do prefer) didn't bother with anti seize !!
I use allyslip as it's better at extreme temps than the copper version.
S.

hard road

Quote from: Speedy1959 on Friday, 04 August  2023, 09:20 PM
Quote from: grog on Friday, 04 August  2023, 06:32 PMHave a read up first Speedy, stainless studs in aluminium hate each other, one eats the other.Its a big can of worms, read and decide.Titanium studs are best, no corrosion.

Thanks Grog.
I don't fancy plain steel bolts so not a lot of choice ( and noooo I do want Titanium ones).
Thereby not bothered if studs seize as it's the nuts I would undo anyway in the event of exhaust removal.
I'm still amazed that the previous owner who converted my bike to the earlier 4 into 2 system ( which I really do prefer) didn't bother with anti seize !!
S.

nuts can still seize on the studs !!!! dome nuts help keep the weather out. some people use brass nuts (like cars used too) less chance of seizing. but like I said take em off/out from time to time for cleaning or greasing.

Speedy1959

Quote from: hard road on Friday, 04 August  2023, 11:06 PM
Quote from: Speedy1959 on Friday, 04 August  2023, 09:20 PM

Thanks Grog.
S.

nuts can still seize on the studs !!!! dome nuts help keep the weather out. some people use brass nuts (like cars used too) less chance of seizing. but like I said take em off/out from time to time for cleaning or greasing.
I know all that !!
But I would rather have a seized external nut then a seized internal bolt !!

S.

seth

Im sure you can get stainless studs and either normal or brass nuts .
Deffinatly whats i should have done last time i removed the exhaust.
I did refit new bolts with an anti-seize compound but they have still seized up lol.
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk