Passing or Flashing switch

Started by MickyJB, Friday, 03 May 2024, 08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickyJB

G'day All,

The passing or Flashing switch doesn't activate the headlight high beam .. before I start undoing the switch or headlight has anyone got suggestions as to where the problem most likely is. I've sprayed contact cleaner into the switch but yet to take it apart.

Both high and low beam are working

Thanks.

Mick
08 Special Edition
Ulysses 69619

Eric GSX1400K3

Probably the microswitch at the handlebar. The flash is a pull on the switch, it has a spring return. Otherwise it'd be in the headlamp bowl, a dodgy connector or corroded pin in the connector would be the next guess Mick.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

MickyJB

Thanks Eric, I guess it has to be one or the other, I'll do some investigating.
Mick
08 Special Edition
Ulysses 69619

Rynglieder

Quote from: MickyJB on Friday, 03 May  2024, 09:53 PMThanks Eric, I guess it has to be one or the other, I'll do some investigating.

I'd be interested to hear what you find as I have the same problem. It's been mentioned as a "advisory" on my last couple of MOT tests, but having it in working order is not a UK legal requirement so the bike does not actually fail the test.

Be nice to have it operating as it should though...

Tally

Same here , although mines temperamental sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, never failed mot .

grog

Dont know if ive ever tried mine, not that i ever pass anyone😎

Will14

Mine as well, doesn't work on the first pull but if I squeeze it a bit harder it will wok & the more I pull and release the switch the better it gets so i'm guessing a dodgy connector. I think I took it apart and cleaned it at one point but still does the same now

Pete   

GSXKING

Mine works fine I guess we don't suffer the corrosion you guys get with salted roads.  :whatever:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

MickyJB

Quote from: GSXKING on Saturday, 04 May  2024, 09:49 PMMine works fine I guess we don't suffer the corrosion you guys get with salted roads.  :whatever:
No Salt here in WA unless it's Indian Ocean and I tend to keep the Suzi on the dry side. 😀
Mick
08 Special Edition
Ulysses 69619

Hooli

Dodgy connection in the switch, it'll be corroded & covered in crap so it doesn't work. It uses the same wiring as the hi/low switch so as that part works you know it's not in the headlight & has to be the switch itself.

MickyJB

In regards to my flasher switch not doing its thing, I removed the switch and inside was clean but I gave it a spray with electrical contact cleaner. I then removed the headlight, I undid the small skinny two wire plugs and gave them a spray put back together and the light switch flasher now works.
I did notice a small plug with two wires going into it that was not attached to anything .. no idea what that's for .. everything works.

But I'm going to change the 60/55w H4 bulb to something brighter any suggestions ?  Do these bikes mind LED lights, some don't and require a diode.. maybe just a higher wattage H4?

Mick
08 Special Edition
Ulysses 69619

Eric GSX1400K3

Mick, the unconnected wires are for thr park light, which AU models didn't get (and I'm not sure are allowed under ADR).

Re LED conversions, have a search on here, plenty of info.  I've upgraded the entire lamp to a Stedi 7" iris, works very well but needs a mod to the retaining system and a custom made clamp to hold it in.  Others have just upgraded the bulb to a suitable led or even a quality halogen works well.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

grog

Mine has a park light Eric, rode home one night, headlight had blown,tiny bit dark, i could see but no one could see me. Drilled out shell, fitted park globe.

Eric GSX1400K3

Cheers Grog, yeah, I remember you saying h that before, weird, mine has the plug as well but no bulb holder for a park light, and AFAIK the park light is a uk thing? Our colleagues up over may shed some light on this (pun 100% intended)

Hooli

More commonly known as sidelights over here (on cars etc they used to light up where the sides/edges were) when driving dynamo equipped stuff in town as headlights would drain the battery when going at low speeds.

But yes we have them fitted as standard, so I suspect all euro spec bikes will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk