News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Rear tyre ratio

Started by Notty, Monday, 16 October 2023, 02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Notty

what is the performance etc difference  between 190/50 – R17 and a 190/55 – R17 - I notice some of you guys make that choice. Reason I ask as dealer has a good deal on 190/55 – R17 - asking for a friend  :rofl2:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Irish in Oz

Your feet will never touch the ground with a 55.

Kiwifruit

You beat me to it Irish !!

I run a 55 and like it, I'd say I find the steering a little sharper.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Irish in Oz

I've done the 55 and 180/55 thing but back to the standard. Whatever suit you I suppose, same with brand.

Notty

so short legs and 190/55 – R17 means oh bugger can't reach the floor - guided it wouldn't wok so road Michelin 6 and 190/50 – R17 - will tell my friend  :rofl2:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Hooli

Quote from: Irish in Oz on Monday, 16 October  2023, 05:56 AMI've done the 55 and 180/55 thing but back to the standard. Whatever suit you I suppose, same with brand.

Same for me.

I prefer the bike on the 190/50. The others make it feel unbalanced to me, as if the rear wants to turn better than the front if that makes sense. Plus the 190/55 looks like a tractor tyre on them.

GSXKING

I've tried most of the 55 options all you get is a bit more steep tip in. I have had lifting kit under mine for probably 15 years so I'm used to the feel. I go on cost these days. Last set was 120/70 front and 180/55 rear PRC6 $450 ride in ride out. Around 7000km's on them and starting to feel the effects. Edge grip hasn't suffered at all. New set soon. Most of my riding lately has been commuting 80+km round trip each day, so 400km's per week roughly. So I will consult my tyre guy about a better option, Dave Oliver at Oliver's MC Tyres located at Clontarf.
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Mick_J

I use a 55 rear and I didn't notice any difference in ride/seat height but I do have long legs.  I don't really feel any difference in turn in either.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: GSXKING on Monday, 16 October  2023, 07:19 PMI've tried most of the 55 options all you get is a bit more steep tip in. I have had lifting kit under mine for probably 15 years so I'm used to the feel. I go on cost these days. Last set was 120/70 front and 180/55 rear PRC6 $450 ride in ride out. Around 7000km's on them and starting to feel the effects. Edge grip hasn't suffered at all. New set soon. Most of my riding lately has been commuting 80+km round trip each day, so 400km's per week roughly. So I will consult my tyre guy about a better option, Dave Oliver at Oliver's MC Tyres located at Clontarf.
Chris, I'm about 80% commuting about 104km averaging 3 days per week. Currently on the Bridgestone BT031's, done about 5or 6000kms i reckon, no complaints so far, no where near worn out, and still very symmetrical
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

grog

I dont comment on tyres, ill just say last Angel GT i had, original type, 15th k front, 22 rear. Quite amazing i thought. Same on again now. Front was out of shape, rear just got worn out. 36 psi front, 38 rear. No tracking, no slipping, couldnt fault. Tyres b4 them were Michy 4 from memory, tracked badly was only fault. Both lasted 10 th ks.

Eric GSX1400K3

Your "No comment" of about 40 words is noted Mr. Grog    :rofl2:
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Speedy1959

Quote from: grog on Tuesday, 17 October  2023, 07:38 PMI dont comment on tyres, ill just say last Angel GT i had, original type, 15th k front, 22 rear. Quite amazing i thought. Same on again now. Front was out of shape, rear just got worn out. 36 psi front, 38 rear. No tracking, no slipping, couldnt fault. Tyres b4 them were Michy 4 from memory, tracked badly was only fault. Both lasted 10 th ks.

Totally agree about "Michy" 4's tracking..
My bike had them on when I bought her..
Still very happy with the Avon Storms...

grog

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Wednesday, 18 October  2023, 09:16 AMYour "No comment" of about 40 words is noted Mr. Grog    :rofl2:
Sorry to rant Eric. Angels just work for me.

Eric GSX1400K3

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk