News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donatello

So after installing an Akrapovic exhaust and reusing the 17 year old exhaust gaskets I had a pretty big leak at the cilinderhead, you could hear it tick pretty loud. I ordered new OEM gaskets (6 euro for one gasket!!  :evil: ) and after everything was installed the sound is almost gone (from 100% to around 15% noise) but at idle I can still hear the valves tick because of the leak.

Is this normal for the akra exhaust? Do the gaskets need some time to "wear" in before the sound is fully gone? Do I need to tighten the exhaust studs more? Or do I apply some liquid copper gasket maker?

northern

@Donatello
I have full akra on my 14. It was there, when I got it 5 years ago. And, I DO NOT HAVE GASKET installed... Cant say, I have some leaking issues.

Do i have any other system?

DTTW

Akra on mine was also leaking a bit after installation. Time and soot did seal it after a while. Not sure how much yours is leaking. I could smell and see exhaust gases escaping between cylinder head and header while idling in lights, for example.

Donatello

Quote from: northern on Monday, 29 July  2019, 11:47 PM
@Donatello
I have full akra on my 14. It was there, when I got it 5 years ago. And, I DO NOT HAVE GASKET installed... Cant say, I have some leaking issues.

Do i have any other system?

Yeah I wanted to try it without gaskets but I thought the copper crush gaskets are better then nothing. I must say I haven't ridden it yet so maybe the gaskets need some heat cycles to seal propperly. Or maybe the leak is between the downpipes and the flanges/pipe you see on your photo.

Quote from: DTTW on Monday, 29 July  2019, 11:48 PM
Akra on mine was also leaking a bit after installation. Time and soot did seal it after a while. Not sure how much yours is leaking. I could smell and see exhaust gases escaping between cylinder head and header while idling in lights, for example.

I can't see the gasses escaping, I only hear a little bit of valve tick (much less then before) and if I hold a piece of paper next to it I can see it moving slightly.

northern

As far as I know, on oil-cooled engine valves are louder. It's because valve clearances have wider tolerances because air/oil cooled engine runs hotter.
Also - as I know, OEM headers have sleeves over exhaust pipe itself and this reduce sound a lot. Akra is just a thin wall pipe.

Other words: do not worry over this - you will not hear while you ride :)

Donatello

Quote from: northern on Tuesday, 30 July  2019, 01:07 AM
As far as I know, on oil-cooled engine valves are louder. It's because valve clearances have wider tolerances because air/oil cooled engine runs hotter.
Also - as I know, OEM headers have sleeves over exhaust pipe itself and this reduce sound a lot. Akra is just a thin wall pipe.

Other words: do not worry over this - you will not hear while you ride :)

As I said I havent ridden the bike yet with the new gaskets but before I could hear the leak while riding (accelerating in 2nd and 3th gear) sounded like a big 1 cylinder thumper :p I'll try to ride it soon and get back on this.

Thanks for all the fast replies!!  :cheers:

Notty

Hard wired my TomTom Rider 400 mount  :)
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Andre

@Donatello
Quote from: Donatello on Monday, 29 July  2019, 11:35 PM
I ordered new OEM gaskets (6 euro for one gasket!!  :evil: )

I am happy with my OEM supplier. Their prices are fair, most of the time the lowest I can find. For example, the exhaust header gaskets are 4.20€ there. They have a FLAT shipping rate (12€ to the Netherlands).

www.kfm-motorraeder.de

Notty

KiwiCol

😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Notty

Quote from: KiwiCol on Wednesday, 31 July  2019, 04:21 AM
Looks good Notty, polished OEM one I take it?
Yep..been in Froudy's shed a year or so..also a polished grab rail but not sure I will bother fitting that  :)

Hooli

KiwiCol

😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Notty

froudy

@Notty

That stands looks as good as when I fitted it to mine... Before I realised it was for yours :lol:
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk