News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

chain lube

Started by stick3, Wednesday, 08 February 2017, 02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batkwaka

My original chain & sprockets did 80k/km and we're still within tolerance wh
Quote from: gsxbarmy on Friday, 10 February  2017, 12:34 AM
Quote from: Batkwaka on Thursday, 09 February  2017, 09:00 PM
I give the inside of the chain a light spray with WD40, it has worked well for me.

WD40 is one of the best de-greasers you can get Batkwaka.......are you sure its actually oiling your chain (it is only fish oil after all)?

It's all good Barmy, my original Chain & Sprockets did 80k/km and we're still within tolerance, never had a problem. Prior to that I had a ZZR1100 that on 3 sets of C&S did 80k/km, 70k/km & 60k/km for a total of 210k/km before being hit by a car.
My personal belief is that an O-Ring chain or similar is mostly self lubricating, my job is to keep it clean and not allow the seals to perish which (contrary to popular belief) the WD40 seems to do. I have also been recommended "Inox", which is supposedly more lubricant based and did seem to work as well as WD40 but is not as readily available at the local supermarket.
May the sun be warm & shining and your roads be smooth & winding.

Rod G

Quote from: VladTepes on Wednesday, 08 February  2017, 03:23 PM
Wurth seems to get good raps.

I've been using Motul which seems to do the job just fine.

Unquestionably the very best!!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

Rod G

I'd have thought oilers of any description would be a messy approach to lubing? I like Motul as it penetrates well, then sets to grease that sticks like shit to a blanket.  Rod G   
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

grog

gear oil much better, i have proved wurth and motul chain lube to be just crap. sticks like shit but so does every piece of dirt and crap stick to the lube. clean chain, vmx castrol. much better. do you want oil on chain or grinding paste.

lawrie

I have in the past used that white, dry, not fling chain lubricant, can't remember the name, worked fine, but one of the restos had an electronic Scotoiler, I removed it & its stashed away somewhere, I might get it out & have a look at it.
One thing comes to mind however, since the chains are 'o' ringed, to keep original lubericant in, wont they also keep 'new' lube out??
I DO have to grow old, I DO NOT have to grow up.

Kiwifruit

Lawrie you are right, O rings keep the lube in.
At a race meeting last year I asked a well respected guy who hand builds race bikes what lube he uses on his chains.(O ring)
His answer, which really surprised me was..... just CRC.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Sweaty

Grog, I tried your recommendation on using 80w gear oil last clean & lube and was impressed with how the chain sounded. The only thing was, that I thought it might not be heavy enough in weight, so have just cleaned the chain and given this a go for the big ride to MCR next Friday. Chain still sounds great & hopefully this will have less fling off effect.
Any thoughts boy's ?

grog

Sweaty, im no oil expert at all. i went with vmx as i was pissed off chain lube wrecked my last chain. was even rusty inside when i broke it up. manual said heavy eng. oil or gear oil, so i did. tried normal gear oil first up, stink at lights reminded me of old mechanic days, repairing diffs/gearboxes. couldnever get the smell off hands. vmx has no smell and works good. glad you liked it, chain really does sound nice. i go 1000ks between lubes with it. your penrite could even be better option, thicken up as chain warms. one thing ive never checked, chain temp after a decent run. lets know results, super interested. also if it stinks. one prob. i just thought of on super long trips, carrying gear oil compared to chain lube. maybe one of those little sewing machine oil bottles. good luck with ride.

Sweaty

It has a slight smell Grog, but nothing like the valvoline oil i had laying around and used the 1st time to test (that stunk)
Was planning to bring a little bottle with me, like you said and will keep an eye on it through the 4 days riding. Probably doing around 1700 km's in total, so will be a good test run.

Gra Har

GHowdy all, have been using same oil as goes in engine for years, which happens to be Motul 5100 10/40  ok there is a bit of fling off but it is easy to wipe chain and clean wheel whilst warm after every ride - I enjoy doing that over a can of burbon :cheers:

Andre

Been using the stinky kind as I had an unopened bottle lying around for years. Besides the smell it is great. Hardly any fling!

Will be a while before I transition to the non-stink as there is still lots left.

Thinking of oil being a good cleaning agent, the last time I used it for that as well. Less messy than using kerosene and saves me the additional stinky fumes.

rollerfish01

Installed a set of Scottoiler, it works really well. The friction of the chain reduced to minimum as compare with spray type chain oil (before I use Silkolene Pro Chain). Most important it always keep the smooth condition at high level.  :onya: :onya: :clapping:
My installation place may not be the best but let me do adjustment and monitor it easily.

VladTepes

On Grog's recommendation I tried VMX, and now I endorse that. Works a treat and doesn't stink.
Chain runs so much smoother than the "proper" Motul chain lube rubbish I was using.

So if anyone in Brissie wants half a tin of Motul spray lube, they are welcome to it.
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Speedy1959

I use Castrol 80W-140 gear oil which I think is similar..
Doesnt smell at all and clings very well indeed.

Speedy1959

Ooops annoying double post !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk