News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

On the heat thing. I had a HID, it cooked the reflector so it lost its shine. The replacement light never suffered that with a led.

Eric GSX1400K3

Get either a sealed beam unit for thr front like the 7" iris fro  m www.stedi.com.au, or find LEDs that use copper stips as their heat sink, not fans.  I've got LEDs front and back, no heat issues whatsoever
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

grog

Eric, is your conversion legal? LED globes fitted arent. I find my Phillips H4 Racing 200+ a great globe.

Eric GSX1400K3

The Stedi 7" iris is a sealed beam lamp unit, ADR compliant  as per Stedi website. Agreed a led globe not suited for the reflector is not legal as it doesn't provide the right spread of light.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Jeykey

Thanks guys for the inputs; still have the legality issue around here. Which in my opinion turns out to be only tax income for the government. In France they finally said no mot for 2 wheels, only 5% on these are technical, the rest human-related. Anyway, got a +150& more halogen.

Notty

New chain and sprockets - new hanger  :)
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

KiwiCol

New nuts as well, or did they come with the sprocket?  I've only ever seen them sold separate.   You'll have to set about polishing the other nearby bits now Notty.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Speedy1959

frenchgixxer

Quote from: Notty on Saturday, 03 September  2022, 03:30 AM

Very nice! Did you keep standard sprocket sizes? I'm gonna try 17T front (slightly used from a busa)and 43T rear (new from JT) to drop gearing by about 10%. Hoping the slightly "stretched" chain will still fit them, won't be covering that much mileage now that summers ending so will keep old one if can reuse it :-)
Question everything

Notty

Quote from: frenchgixxer on Saturday, 03 September  2022, 05:08 PM

Very nice! Did you keep standard sprocket sizes? I'm gonna try 17T front (slightly used from a busa)and 43T rear (new from JT) to drop gearing by about 10%. Hoping the slightly "stretched" chain will still fit them, won't be covering that much mileage now that summers ending so will keep old one if can reuse it :-)
I had a 17T but speedo was 10mph slow had to keep using my TomTom to check my speed so I have gone back to standard  :)
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

frenchgixxer

Quote from: Notty on Saturday, 03 September  2022, 06:01 PM

I had a 17T but speedo was 10mph slow had to keep using my TomTom to check my speed so I have gone back to standard  :)

Yes it will, though personally I won't care about that as I live in the middle of nowhere in central France so few speed camera's (always signs for them so long as you notice!) though the odd coppa speed trap.  Won't be hooning too much on country lanes as too many animals around - snakes, hedgehogs, bunnies, hares, foxes, badgers, deer and, worse of all, wild boar. So going slower than speedo shows not necessarily a bad idea lol

Was 17T front sprocket noticeable? Changing both definitely should be and as I have no usable 2nd gear for accelerating then 1st to third (with changing both sprockets) will almost exactly half revs changing up as thats the way I'll have to ride
Question everything

Eric GSX1400K3

My old set was 17/43, was on when I bought it.  Thought it was too revvy at 100-110. Took off quick though.  Now back to std with JT sprockets and Takasago chain

frenchgixxer

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Saturday, 03 September  2022, 06:41 PM
My old set was 17/43, was on when I bought it.  Thought it was too revvy at 100-110. Took off quick though.  Now back to std with JT sprockets and Takasago chain

How noticeable was the change in acceleration?
Question everything

Mick_J

Quote from: Notty on Saturday, 03 September  2022, 06:01 PM

When Liz gets in she is going to scrap speed limits so it wont matter what your speedo says.  :whistling:
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: frenchgixxer on Saturday, 03 September  2022, 07:02 PM
Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Saturday, 03 September  2022, 06:41 PM

How noticeable was the change in acceleration?
TBH with standard gearing it still feels the same.   You'd need to have two 1400s side by side, one with std the other with 17/43 gearing and measure standing start times, 1/8th and 1/4mile times I guess...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk