News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yetiman

Wow not good Hooli, Hopefully it welds up ok,
How was the exhaust rubbing is the exhaust bent or something mate.

KiwiCol

Looks great in there Hooli, ready for another 100,000 miles!
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Hooli

Quote from: Yetiman on Monday, 25 July  2022, 05:28 AM
Wow not good Hooli, Hopefully it welds up ok,
How was the exhaust rubbing is the exhaust bent or something mate.

No idea, the exhaust was nowhere near it and couldn't move to touch it. Judging by the corrosion on the worn bit it must have happened years ago.
Only thing I can think is it happened when I had to replace a snapped spring or two on the Akra, it must have partly fallen apart.

grog

Whatever caused it Hooli doesnt matter, much easier/cheaper solution for you. Itll weld up just fine. 👍👍Have done before on a motor that slid down the road. Rode it 80 th ks after repair.

grog

All i did to mine was ride in 7 degrees. Dont they go well in cold weather. Full wipe over at lunchtime, home ride was excellent. Actually gave her a bit of stick, still amazes me after all these years.

Tally

Steam cleaned mine, at a safe distance as not to worry any bearings or electrics. Came up a treat.

Hooli

Quote from: grog on Monday, 25 July  2022, 06:00 PM
Whatever caused it Hooli doesnt matter, much easier/cheaper solution for you. Itll weld up just fine. 👍👍Have done before on a motor that slid down the road. Rode it 80 th ks after repair.

Aye doesn't really matter & I'll never know. Bugs me though as bar this & one dent I know the cause of every bit of damage on her.

Will14

Quote from: Hooli on Monday, 25 July  2022, 12:05 AM
Well I've found what's happened to my sump. The exhaust must have been rubbing years ago & left a weak spot that finally failed. It can't be recent due to all the corrosion on the outside of the worn area,

There's a decent alloy welder locally that a mate has recommended so it'll be going to him for repair.

At least the engine is nice & clean inside, proving 4k miles oil changes are plenty for these lumps.

Added bonus looks like most of the old gasket is stuck to the sump, so not much crawling around trying to clean it up :-)

Kiwifruit

Good news then Hooli. Nice easy fix  :onya:
Lot to be said for regular oil changes.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Kiwifruit

Quote from: grog on Monday, 25 July  2022, 07:00 PM
All i did to mine was ride in 7 degrees. Dont they go well in cold weather. Full wipe over at lunchtime, home ride was excellent. Actually gave her a bit of stick, still amazes me after all these years.

Haven't ridden mine for a few weeks, a jetski would have been more appropriate with our weather recently but like you say still a bit of a thrill when you really tighten the wire  :boogie:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: Kiwifruit on Tuesday, 26 July  2022, 06:45 AM
Quote from: grog on Monday, 25 July  2022, 07:00 PM

Haven't ridden mine for a few weeks, a jetski would have been more appropriate with our weather recently but like you say still a bit of a thrill when you really tighten the wire  :boogie:

We had a few nice days here, but there's no real driveway between my house / sheds and the nearest bitumen road. It's do-able in the dry weather but right now even the Ute and car are sliding about a bit and picking up a lot of mud.   (Not as bad as my neighbour, they park their little car out on the highway and use a 4x4 to get to their house).   A roadway in / driveway was always part of the plan but it needs to dry out a bit first and I need to sort an affordable option, I built roads for many years so it's going to happen.

Hooli

Quote from: Will14 on Tuesday, 26 July  2022, 06:23 AM
Quote from: Hooli on Monday, 25 July  2022, 12:05 AM
Well I've found what's happened to my sump. The exhaust must have been rubbing years ago & left a weak spot that finally failed. It can't be recent due to all the corrosion on the outside of the worn area,

There's a decent alloy welder locally that a mate has recommended so it'll be going to him for repair.

At least the engine is nice & clean inside, proving 4k miles oil changes are plenty for these lumps.

Added bonus looks like most of the old gasket is stuck to the sump, so not much crawling around trying to clean it up :-)

No crawling about at all, it's up on a bike lift. Dunno how I used to manage without one.

Eric GSX1400K3

Started the bike from cold, stva kicked in, 2500rpm for about 10 seconds, then dropped straight to 1100rpm and FI light comes on, don't need to check that that's a C28 code.  Took off the STVA connector like Hooli suggested and sprayed some contact cleaner in there, then with an electrical screwdriver, gently wiggled the connectors to be a little tighter.  Was nice and clean in there, perhaps a little grey dusting on the contacts, anyways, all cleaned up.  Refitted the plug with the male connectors, it pushed in nice and solid, refitted the screw and all ok.  Had to replace the crank case to air box vent tube while i was there, bit of rubber automotive hose and a protective sleeve (from the pairs valve that was removed aeons ago).  Fired her up and stva actuated again, this time though, nice steady drop to 1100rpm as the engine warmed up.  Hope it's fixed now as I don't fancy pulling the throttle bodies off.  No weather for riding, been raining steadily since last Thursday, so I have to wait until it dries up to test if this has fixed the recurring C28 code....thank you to Mr. Hooli for the tip.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Hooli

I took the sump down to be welded today, expecting to leave it with them but the bloke did it as soon as I arrived saying he'd never get around to it otherwise. Looks neat & he's built up the missing metal, all for twenty quid.

No pics as I didn't take the sump plug along so he couldn't test it to ensure it didn't leak. So it's currently laid over a bucket in the garage with degreaser in it as it's the thinnest liquid I had to hand. It doesn't leak so far & has been there several hours, so I'd say it's all good.

I've ordered the gasket, which should be here for the weekend & can rebuild her then.

SpongeBob

Not exactly today, but rather a few days ago...
New wheels -- literally: new light forged rims, new discs (front) and new tyres; and fully overhauled rear caliper with extra-light pistons.
Almost a new bike :-)
Okay, getting a little further away from stock bike, but who cares at that mileage?
Happy 20th birthday, Suzi :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk