News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

It's probably me if I'm honest, I'm riding it pretty much as quick as I ride my 14. Quick enough that people I ride with have said HDs shouldn't go around corners like it does. Now I'm into the groove with it, it's easy to ride as quick as a proper bike and just as fun.

Depending on fuel costs and stuff I might try to get it abroad later this year, so plan to use my 14 more to stop the HD being due another service by the time I might go.

Hooli

Today I spoiled my 14.

I took her into the shithole that is Leeds, to visit the Sportsbikeshop as it's much cheaper than my local j&s. Got her some new heated grips as the old ones have got sticky & are melting away, god knows why but they always seem to do it after two or three years.

Got home, fitted them & took her shopping to LiDL to celebrate. She's a lucky girl  :lol: It's so much nicer riding when your hands don't stick to the grips, for starters it doesn't ruck your gloves into uncomfy creases. Oh & rebled the front brakes too as they were a little soft, I didn't seem to get any air out but they feel a lot better - typically odd 14 brakes there then.

I'm taking her to a bike night later though, so she does get out for fun stuff still.

Hooli

Rear brake bleed again today, I did find a few tiny bubbles in that. I think where the calipers are made of cheese air sticks in tiny holes in the metal's surface until a bit of use moves it to the top.

Also fitted the twat-nav mount I'd bought for the HD before remembering it'd got 1 1/4" bars not 1", so bit of rubber to space it & it's on the 14 now. I've always had the twat-nav in the top of the tankbag before. Which has three big disadvantages, it's a long way down to look, it's level so you can't see it in the sun & worst you have to keep the tankbag full or the power cable falls out the back.

I've also discovered that by putting the heated grips in their most comfy position for riding so the wire isn't in the way of my thumb, the wire catches the tank on full right lock & opens the throttle a bit. I'll worry about that next year when the MOT is due as it's not an issue when riding as you can hold the throttle shut easy enough.

Fast1400

Spent some more time setting up my suspension, after the new rear shocks have settled in.
Happy to hear some feedback on the settings I've chosen, if you have any?

Rear I am now running @10mm free sag, rider sag @27mm. Shock height is +25mm longer than standard, at 360mm.
Front is @13mm free, with rider at @31mm.

I weigh 73kg, and it's a solo sports bike set up I'm aiming for. Short quick trips over varied (a little rough), country roads. Conditions vary from 20-50km/h turns to some wide open straights.

Have found it turns in really well, holds it's line nicely and is a lot easier to quickly change direction now. And it no longer drags anything on the road.

Hooli

I filled my 14 up after 236miles, got 21.2 litres in. Cutting it fine enough for me, but a smidge over fifty to the gallon is good for one of these old buses. Must mean I'm riding her slower these days too.

She's running absolutely great currently too, there's no way on earth she feels her age. I've ridden bikes that feel way more worn out with a quarter of her mileage. Honestly, apart from a slight baggyness in the gears due to the lever wearing around the pivot I think she rides as well as a friends one with 25k on. Can't fault her for almost 166.5k, she's getting closer to the target 250k. After that I'll start spoiling her a bit.

Hooli

I appear to have broken my 14...

Riding to a friend's place tonight to replace the vacuum pipes on her 14 & mine coughed, spluttered, shuddered & nearly died. It's running crap, missing like hell under any sort of load & generally not healthy. I've even got a FI light up, code C28 when I checked.

Starting the bike it revs straight to about 3-3.5k for  for maybe 5secs and then drops to slightly lower than normal idle speed as the FI light comes on.

I've been through the manual & proved that connectivity to the STVA is correct as far as the first grey multiplug under the side panel. All the wiring changes colour there & I was getting bored as it was getting to too late to be starting bikes up so I didn't check further. Next to is to make sure I've got connectivity to the ECU, I'll do that in a day or two.

I don't think it's the problem @Snapey had with the loose magnet because the STVA appears to cycle correctly, I will double check how it feels manually now I've read the old thread in the tech section though.

On the bright side it did make it to my mate's to fix hers, so I'll update that thread too.

Notty

Made the garage prettier for the 14
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

KiwiCol

Very nice too mate, so tell me, why do you have stuff stored at Froudys when there's 'so much room' there?   :whistling:       

For us down under folk, we're used to a much bigger space as a garage. I'm planning on building (having built) a bigger shed at my new place, 12m x 6m.  It already has a 6m x 6m garage & I need more . . .

I'll bung some pic's up when the build gets going.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Hooli

grog

Hooli, will be interested to find out your fix for your bike. Id be betting a connection prob somewhere. Good luck.

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: KiwiCol on Tuesday, 21 June  2022, 05:11 PM
Very nice too mate, so tell me, why do you have stuff stored at Froudys when there's 'so much room' there?   :whistling:       

For us down under folk, we're used to a much bigger space as a garage. I'm planning on building (having built) a bigger shed at my new place, 12m x 6m.  It already has a 6m x 6m garage & I need more . . .

I'll bung some pic's up when the build gets going.

:onya:

I've just put a mezzanine in my high roof 8m x 9m and built another identical high roof 8m x 9m next to it. The house has a 6m x 6m garage.   It was one of the reasons I sold up and went rural.  I've always wanted a bit more room and this is my last house move for retirement.

Hooli

Quote from: grog on Tuesday, 21 June  2022, 06:01 PM
Hooli, will be interested to find out your fix for your bike. Id be betting a connection prob somewhere. Good luck.

Aye that's what I'm suspecting too & what the manual suggests. Next test is to work out the colour changes in the wiring & check the signal gets through the PC3. After that it's only the loom to the ECU left.

My STVA resistance tests at 6 Ohm so I'm checking for that each time. Means I know a valid connection is happening, just connectivity testing doesn't really check for excess resistance or anything on the way through the loom.

grog

Hooli. Is there a plug straight onto stva. Read b4 could be a problem.

Hooli

There is, in the centre of the throttle bodies. I started there & got proper readings off it, so I'm working back along the loom to the ECU to find out where things go wrong.

grog

Just a tip, using test light to find bad connection, dont use led, draws fuck all current, use old skool bulb type.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk