News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fast1400

Fitted my new YSS rear shocks (+25mm ride height).
Absolutely stoked - cannot believe how much better the bike turns in and holds its line, and that's without them even being bedded in and fine tuned.
Already they feel so much smoother - can't wait to spend some hours getting used to them (planned Sunday!)
Small plug - Adam from Suspensions R Us couldn't have been more helpful, and I ordered them on Tuesday and fitted them Thursday, Melbourne to SE Queensland - very quick delivery.

BlueDragon

Yep,  Adam knows his stuff.  That is where I got mine from.  He also sent me front fork springs to suit my weight/riding style etc and has helped me fine tune the settings etc.  Great service.

GSXKING

they look really cool on the bike and the adjustability over the stock ones is obvious. I guess we would all like to know the cost of this style of upgrade  :stir: :stir: ??????? If I may be so rude  :devil: :devil:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

BlueDragon

Best to give Adam a phone call..  price all depends on what options you choose.

Black springs are the standard colour spring.    I opted for red springs on mine.

Also the can make the shock body longer I believe, though the standard shock body is longer than the standard GSX shocks anyway..  but not quite as long as when some owners here have added extenders..  but other options is to make the shock as long as if you are using standard shocks with extenders..  So then you don't need extenders at all.

These shocks are standard with Rebound and Compression damping and spring preload, but you have the option of choosing the next model shock and have low speed and high speed compression damping as well as rebound damping and the usual spring preload.

These shocks are extremely good.  A wide range of adjustment for both rebound and compression damping and 1 or 2 clicks either way does make a difference.  Spring preload is very easily set.  The shocks come with a allen key and and the tool for turning the spring collar.  The allen key is for the locking grub screw in the collar..

I bought a digital micrometer to measure the collar gap when I need to make spring adjustments for when I ride alone or when my wife is passenger..  Basically a couple turns of preload and a couple clicks on both compression and damping and I'm done.  Only takes a few minutes. 

Tony Nitrous

Bikes are still in storage but I started digging some of my spares out....

We made up a few mobile benches so I can wheel stuff about. I can push them up tight in the corner, closer than in the pic, or wheel them out if I want to tinker with them, add or remove bits.

To put bike on them I just lift them on one of my hydraulic benches to the right heigh and wheel them across.

Me spinning the stands around seems to trigger some of the internet experts and haters but I do it to make it shorter and they don't get in the way. Only on long term storage stuff not day to day use bikes. It's not hard to do.

Fast1400

Hey @GSXKING,
Sorry I missed your (not rude at all!) pricing request...
$1150.00 delivered (within 2 days!) was the magic number.
I chose the longer model (360's) which are 25mm longer than standard, which was a no cost option. You can also choose the all black model (Black Edition) for the same price. Chrome springs are +$100 - no idea why, it's not a Hardley...
As @BlueDragon says, they are brilliant.
Set mine up as close as I could at home (static), and did a long, fast run today which offered plenty of varied road conditions and speeds to really test them out.
Amazing - the bike is transformed. Other than back a little compression and rebound off the rear, it was spot on. Although I had taken 5mm of ride height out of them before fitting because I wasn't sure how aggressive the steering may have been. I'll be dialling it back in though, as it's still really stable.
Turns in fast and smooth, holds its line sooo much better, and more importantly, I came home much less fatigued than usual.

BlueDragon

@Tony Nitrous

Do I spy a GSXR400 there in one of the photos?

That brings back some memories..  I bought one from Action Suzuki when I moved to Sydney straight out of high school in 1984.  Blue and White and only 3000klms on the clock.  That bike handled beautifully back in the day and was a screamer. Tacho started at 3000rpm and a nice hit in power and torque at around 6-6.5k from memory and all the way to 13000rpm..  loved it. 

But unfortunately it was stolen from my brothers place in Liverpool.  Theives cut through all the chains, cables etc and also the steel framework that it was chained/steel cabled to at my brother place. 

But then a few months later I was at a Sydney wreckers that I would buy parts from at times and well, what do you know, I saw the fuel tank off my GSXR400 there for sale.  I knew it was mine as it has a finger nail sized stain in the deep blue paintwork on the lower left corner.. 

Reported it to the police, but don't know if anything was ever done about it..

I've been keeping my eye out for another one for the last few years, but the only one I found is in Qld and the seller wants too much for it at 5k, its been up for sale for a couple years off and on..  LOL, mine only cost me 3k back in '84.

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: BlueDragon on Sunday, 29 May  2022, 09:50 PM
@Tony Nitrous

Do I spy a GSXR400 there in one of the photos?

That brings back some memories..  I bought one from Action Suzuki when I moved to Sydney straight out of high school in 1984.  Blue and White and only 3000klms on the clock.  That bike handled beautifully back in the day and was a screamer. Tacho started at 3000rpm and a nice hit in power and torque at around 6-6.5k from memory and all the way to 13000rpm..  loved it. 

But unfortunately it was stolen from my brothers place in Liverpool.  Theives cut through all the chains, cables etc and also the steel framework that it was chained/steel cabled to at my brother place. 

But then a few months later I was at a Sydney wreckers that I would buy parts from at times and well, what do you know, I saw the fuel tank off my GSXR400 there for sale.  I knew it was mine as it has a finger nail sized stain in the deep blue paintwork on the lower left corner.. 

Reported it to the police, but don't know if anything was ever done about it..

I've been keeping my eye out for another one for the last few years, but the only one I found is in Qld and the seller wants too much for it at 5k, its been up for sale for a couple years off and on..  LOL, mine only cost me 3k back in '84.

Yes, well spotted.   I was given that one, I have some more bits to dig out of storage for it yet.  The guy who gave it me is chasing up some more parts too.
The previous owner only bought it because he wanted the fairing and tail to go on his RG400, he didn't want the rest of it.

I have a 1986 GSXR1100-G, the first of the 11's and a spare rolling frame, and most folk think of the previous 1985 as being the first of the GSXR's, but the 84 GSXR400 pre-dates them as the first GSXR.

I'm a bit of a hoarder for 4 cylinder 16v chain drive Suzuki stuff, 1980 onwards. I picked this up recently too...

BbigMmac

Hooli

I noticed the HD needs a rear tyre soon, it's got 1mm left & the bike isn't 3 months old till next week. It did have it's 5k service last week too, am I using it too much?

Kiwifruit

Nice workshop, Impressive jig bench. Quite like the look of the bike too.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Kiwifruit

Quote from: Hooli on Tuesday, 31 May  2022, 06:33 AM
I noticed the HD needs a rear tyre soon, it's got 1mm left & the bike isn't 3 months old till next week. It did have it's 5k service last week too, am I using it too much?

Have you become a Harley owner that sits it on the limiter while the back wheel goes round and round and the front wheel isn't  ?
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Hooli

Quote from: Kiwifruit on Tuesday, 31 May  2022, 06:38 AM

Have you become a Harley owner that sits it on the limiter while the back wheel goes round and round and the front wheel isn't  ?

God no, been riding it a lot though. Think it'll do about 6k from the rear, about the same as I used to get from Michelins on the 14 too.

I'll never be a burnout moron, they are utterly pointless ways to wear your bike out.

Mick_J

No mate, as long as you are enjoying yourself with all that torque what's not to like, my Tbird got through rear tyres and pads but I loved every minute of it.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

GSXKING

@Hooli Do you feel like your riding style is causing the excessive rear tyre wear ? Or is this how the new Harleys Roll. I'm curious.  ??? ??? ???
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk