Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seth

Brilliant news @Hooli
Time to get clocking up a fee more miles  :cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Hooli

Think I've done about 250-300 mile since the MOT so I'll try to make up for the months off the road.

I'm getting an FI light about 100mph in 6th on 'private roads' so reset both TPS tonight. I'm not totally happy as both are at the ends of their travel, but we'll see how it goes. Using it again tomorrow as rude not to on a week off when it's nice for the time of year

Mick_J

Bike was starting to be a bad starter, starter motor would spin up fine but the bike wouldn't start first time and I often got a backfire, it would start after the third or fourth prod of the starter and run fine for the rest of the day.  I put the battery on charge and my optimate said nope.  Bought and fitted a new battery form tayna and she starts first prod (as it always did), problem solved.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

grog

Exact correct mjgt, mine was same. Spun over, no start, huge backfires. Low batt the cause. Reason why, starter steals what cca left, injectors keep spraying but ignition system not enough juice to spark the plugs correctly. Exhaust fills with unburnt fuel, random spark bursts explode it. Would baffle you if not experienced b4.Have seen cars do similar, just blow exhaust to pieces, swell up like a balloon.

Hooli

Quote from: Hooli on Thursday, 13 January  2022, 06:51 AM
Think I've done about 250-300 mile since the MOT so I'll try to make up for the months off the road.

I'm getting an FI light about 100mph in 6th on 'private roads' so reset both TPS tonight. I'm not totally happy as both are at the ends of their travel, but we'll see how it goes. Using it again tomorrow as rude not to on a week off when it's nice for the time of year

Well that didn't work, it ran worse so I've put them both to about the middle of their travel and it's better. Still not right though so I need to keep thinking.

DP1400

Maybe the FI light code is the one about riding at 100mph on `private roads`Hooli,......have you tried 100mph on the `public highway` to see if it makes any difference? Just a thought...... :whistling:

Hooli

grog

Just reading about fault light coming on. Ive always thought it was F1 light but now realise FI. Fault Indicator? Only taken me over a decade to realise. Circus not complete without a clown.

DP1400

Be assured grog, you`re not the clown - if I knew half of what you do about mechanics, i`d be a happy man!  :cheers:

Notty

Quote from: grog on Saturday, 15 January  2022, 04:54 PM
Just reading about fault light coming on. Ive always thought it was F1 light but now realise FI. Fault Indicator? Only taken me over a decade to realise. Circus not complete without a clown.
Me too Grog - always thought it was F1  :bugga: :bugga: :bugga: :bugga:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Hooli

I think it stands for Fuel Injection, as it only shows faults in that system. It'd say In the handbook but I'm too lazy to check.

Eric GSX1400K3

I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

grog

DP, 50 yrs this year since i started, done it all my life. Forgotten more than i know. Was in the toolbox today, funny how collected tools, parts etc old crap, bring back memories. So many bent up spanners, improvised tools, all were done for a specific job. Been a good trip, paid the bills.

Will14

Quote from: mjgt on Thursday, 13 January  2022, 08:06 PM
Bike was starting to be a bad starter, starter motor would spin up fine but the bike wouldn't start first time and I often got a backfire, it would start after the third or fourth prod of the starter and run fine for the rest of the day.  I put the battery on charge and my optimate said nope.  Bought and fitted a new battery form tayna and she starts first prod (as it always did), problem solved.

Quote from: grog on Friday, 14 January  2022, 06:11 PM
Exact correct mjgt, mine was same. Spun over, no start, huge backfires. Low batt the cause. Reason why, starter steals what cca left, injectors keep spraying but ignition system not enough juice to spark the plugs correctly. Exhaust fills with unburnt fuel, random spark bursts explode it. Would baffle you if not experienced b4.Have seen cars do similar, just blow exhaust to pieces, swell up like a balloon.

@mjgt @grog this is interesting, I have the same issue where the bike very rarely starts first time, it usually spins fires and dies immediately twice, then fires and runs on the third attempt, the cold start works as it should. Now my bike lives on a battery conditioner all of the time (normally) over xmas & after working on the bike I forgot to connect the optimizer & the next morning when I went to start her she went on the first push of the button, so I naturally thought resetting the TPS (again) had cured the problem, but yesterday after being plugged into the optimiser we were back to third attempt starting, so now I'm wondering if it could be more battery related than anything else

I'm also wondering now if it could be the reason for poor idle when the engine is hot after being parked up for an hour or so that I still cant fathom out fully, the bike rides like a dream for a few hours, stop for a brew and chat for an hour & although she then starts at first push the idle is down to 1000 and wants to stall out

I have just disconnected the optimizer & will give her a try later this afternoon, the battery was new when I purchased the bike in 2018, but looks to be a cheapo make rather than a decent yuasa  :confused1:

Mick_J

My bike has other problems now but as for the battery I thing you could try a new one as my bike starts first prod now (as it always did).  You should be able to ride up to tayna and ask them to test it for you and buy a new one if required.  I got a Leoch battery with a two year warranty for £30(+ delivery), chap at Tayna recons they are as good as Yuasa for less than half the price.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk