Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

Yeah it's not hard to tell dipped & main is it? even on a bright day you can look at the light & if the filament with the shield below it is lit then you're on dipped.

Sounds a complete eejit in that dealer.

Kiwifruit

Re slow throttle return. Had the same issue, took it off washed the throttle tube and put it on dry. Bang on now, snaps back  :onya:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Hooli

I broke my new Triumph the other week, loads of electrical issues when out. I think they kept the Lucas DNA?  :whatever:

Anyway been looking through it & testing stuff today. Seems the stator is burnt out, all three wires to it short to earth when tested. Seems to be the way I break things, I never have reg/rec failures like everyone else but always burnt stators. I've had three on the 14, but the first one lasted twice as long as the Triumph's has.

I did pop the wheels down the tyre place & got the pair of Avon Storm 3D XMs fitted today as well, as the front on the Sprint was bald. Wet corners didn't feel great oddly enough...

14 wise, I'm still waiting for my mate to weld up the leaking tank. That & straightening the clock bracket so I can refit those is all that's left on it. Oh & fit the new headlight, but I can't do that till the clocks are on as you all know.

Eric GSX1400K3

So I've been having a slight oil weep from the generator cover topmost bolt. First noticed it when all the grime was sticking to the cover, then a drip next to the side stand.

Looking for a new gasket, my go to has always been Mick Hone motorcycles on line store instead of the (st)dealers, as the parts microfiche diagrams are top notch and all parts are listed.  Found the gasket easy enough and relatively cheap.

Go to check out and the freight cost from East coast Oz to West coast Oz  is almost double the cost of the part, so thanks but no thanks.

Tried ebay but no luck there.

Finally rang my local suzuki dealer, and not only was the genuine generator cover gasket available immediately, it was cheaper than MH. 

Restoring some of my faith in dealers.

Dropped in the other day to collect it, and pride of place in front of the service counter was a K8 SE 1400 with 'only' 280,000km on it.  It had seen better days, but for that mileage looked ok, needed a detail and polishing of some bits, but otherwise a nice unit.  As it was on  closing time, I couldn't ask about the price on it,but might go back on Saturday for another look.

Will replace the generator cover gasket this weekend.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Roo

Tell ya what  , I got to ride today !!!!!! brilliant !!!!
Must say after so long I was riding shit for the first hour.  But the second hour I came good,fantastic in fact. (bikes been in the garage for at least 2 months !).

Hooli

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 22 October  2021, 10:11 AM
So I've been having a slight oil weep from the generator cover topmost bolt. First noticed it when all the grime was sticking to the cover, then a drip next to the side stand.

Looking for a new gasket, my go to has always been Mick Hone motorcycles on line store instead of the (st)dealers, as the parts microfiche diagrams are top notch and all parts are listed.  Found the gasket easy enough and relatively cheap.

Go to check out and the freight cost from East coast Oz to West coast Oz  is almost double the cost of the part, so thanks but no thanks.

Tried ebay but no luck there.

Finally rang my local suzuki dealer, and not only was the genuine generator cover gasket available immediately, it was cheaper than MH. 

Restoring some of my faith in dealers.

Dropped in the other day to collect it, and pride of place in front of the service counter was a K8 SE 1400 with 'only' 280,000km on it.  It had seen better days, but for that mileage looked ok, needed a detail and polishing of some bits, but otherwise a nice unit.  As it was on  closing time, I couldn't ask about the price on it,but might go back on Saturday for another look.

Will replace the generator cover gasket this weekend.

Check the washers are right too. The top & bottom bolt need those dowty washers with the rubber bit inside to seal, none of the other bolts do. I'm sure this is covered in the technical section of this forum somewhere.

Part 19 in this pic - https://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/shop/online-store/suzuki-parts-finder/gsx/gsx1400/k2-k3-k4-k5-k6-k7-2002-2007.htm?vehicle_id=29#!gsx1400crankcasecover

Eric GSX1400K3

Cheers Hooli, I've got a set of the red fibre washers to go on too
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Hooli

@Eric GSX1400K3

I've found it, Barmy had a better pic from somewhere.

https://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=268.0

Without the dowty washers on those bolts you will get oil leaks around them, so it might save you taking the cover off, getting your fingers trapped under it & muttering about the starter cog that always falls out as you do it.

Eric GSX1400K3

Cheers, the top one at A is exactly where its leaking from.

Kiwifruit

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Saturday, 23 October  2021, 09:07 AM

Replace that washer first then @Eric GSX1400K3 as it will prob solve the problem
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Kiwifruit on Saturday, 23 October  2021, 11:57 AM
Scoota getting some love :smitten:

Looks like you parked your bike in Liverpool @Kiwifruit and didn't pay the local scrotes the "parking charge" 🤣🤣
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: gsxbarmy on Saturday, 23 October  2021, 05:35 PM
Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Saturday, 23 October  2021, 09:07 AM

Replace that washer first then @Eric GSX1400K3 as it will prob solve the problem
Cheers, did that this afternoon, haven't had time to fire it up but will check first thing tomorrow.

Thanks for the help and diagrams.

Hooli

Well I proved it's the stator at fault on the Sprint. Now to decide if I want to get a new one from electroworld or get the original rewound. I've heard mixed reports of electroworld so not sure which way to jump.

I've also straightened the bracket for my 14's clocks, so they'll be refitted soon. No mad rush till the tank comes back anyway.

Kiwifruit

Quote from: gsxbarmy on Saturday, 23 October  2021, 05:36 PM
Quote from: Kiwifruit on Saturday, 23 October  2021, 11:57 AM
Scoota getting some love :smitten:

Looks like you parked your bike in Liverpool @Kiwifruit and didn't pay the local scrotes the "parking charge" 🤣🤣

Not quite that bad here Dave but once stolen they do like a bonfire.....to keep warm maybe ??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk