Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwifruit

Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

GSXKING

Quote from: Kiwifruit on Thursday, 11 March  2021, 11:19 AM
Would have been a great day out with your dad  :onya:

@KiwiCol  :hat: it was truly moving to see him so enthusiastic and talking to anyone who came near him. There were stories of ownership of bikes I'd not heard. A fabulous day and we may go again soon to see the Historic Bike Show they plan for the front lawn. :hat:

P.S. he talked my mums ears off when I took him home  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

grog

Well done GSX, must get there for a look. Bonding with your Dad, good stuff. 👍Did sim with mine yrs back, Nambour showgrounds, old cars. Hes been gone 12 yrs but i remember that day. Well worth the effort.

Hooli

I was so utterly sick of being indoors I put about 150miles on my 14 today, it's eerie out as the roads at utterly empty. Less traffic than the first lockdown, very strange.

Also very annoying as the damn thing has got thirsty again. It feels absolutely perfect to ride, after everything I've done it's not run as well for ages yet it's still doing about 30-35mpg so about 10mpg less than it always had done. This annoyed me to the point I actually looked at bike adverts, how bloody expensive have they got? everything is about double the price it was last year. Just as an example, I sold a ST1100 Pan in about 2015 for £1,500 with 44k on. That'd sell for about £3k now & look older, very annoying as I almost kept that bike too.

Grumpy old man

Yesterday I took a toothbrush to my bikes front brake calipers after removing the pads

I managed to clean up the pistons to look like new with out removing them just pumped them out as far as I dared without them popping out and scrubbed them and when dry I applied rubber grease to the pistons and eased them back into place easily with nearly no effort

Then I changed all the fluid and re-bled the brakes they now feel so much more progressive and the annoying pad rattle/clunk that they used to have has gone and they need so little effort to stop now so much better and progressive no sudden grabbing

When my seal kit arrives I will fully refurb the calipers .........new bolts ,paint etc etc

Del

I put the battery in and started it after about 6 months - so since it started I let it heat up and then polished it - might even go out for a run on Saturday as its vaccine day
All Lives Matter
...until you multiply them by the speed of light squared. Then all lives energy.

A 'feuchainn gu cruaidh gus fuck a thoirt seachad - ach gu mì-fhortanach a' fàilligeadh

DP1400

Quote from: Hooli on Sunday, 14 March  2021, 05:10 AM
I was so utterly sick of being indoors I put about 150miles on my 14 today, it's eerie out as the roads at utterly empty. Less traffic than the first lockdown, very strange.

Also very annoying as the damn thing has got thirsty again. It feels absolutely perfect to ride, after everything I've done it's not run as well for ages yet it's still doing about 30-35mpg so about 10mpg less than it always had done. This annoyed me to the point I actually looked at bike adverts, how bloody expensive have they got? everything is about double the price it was last year. Just as an example, I sold a ST1100 Pan in about 2015 for £1,500 with 44k on. That'd sell for about £3k now & look older, very annoying as I almost kept that bike too.

Hooli - you know more about `14`s than I ever will, but just a thought on your fuel consumption - assuming your chain is good, your brakes aren`t binding, you have no fuel leaks and your tyres are good, and you haven`t suddenly put on 5 stone in weigh( ;)), what are your plugs telling you?? May be worth trying a new set and keeping an eye on their condition me thinks. As I said, just a thought :onya:

Hooli

Quote from: DP1400 on Friday, 19 March  2021, 05:51 AM
Quote from: Hooli on Sunday, 14 March  2021, 05:10 AM

Hooli - you know more about `14`s than I ever will, but just a thought on your fuel consumption - assuming your chain is good, your brakes aren`t binding, you have no fuel leaks and your tyres are good, and you haven`t suddenly put on 5 stone in weigh( ;)), what are your plugs telling you?? May be worth trying a new set and keeping an eye on their condition me thinks. As I said, just a thought :onya:

I've tried that, but good idea.

The plugs were telling me it was rich as hell till I changed the oil temp sensor, now they are a lovely light biscuit colour again so even they say it's running right but the fuel is vanishing somewhere.

grog

Hooli, can only use it or leak it. No other choices. Maybe need a garage with exhaust sniffer, thatll tell you your A/F ratio. As for the cause if rich, how many sensors on 14. Maybe do a reset, neg lead on positive, drain those capacitors. Ive seen it do amazing things on all sorts of vehicles. Other try, what volts does your bike run at? A high or low charge rate can affect fuel use, ECU runs and adjusts by voltage input from sensors. If generator V is wrong, so is info from sensors. Just a thought. Even a crook battery, high resistance, can cause it.

Hooli

I agree with you @grog and as I've been hunting this over a year now I've checked all that. If you recall I found the oil temp sensor was duff before Xmas.

Replacing that helped a lot with how it runs and it's not as bad on fuel as it was. I'm starting to think it's a manly contact somewhere in the loom giving a false reading to the ECU, but as yet I've not worked through everything to prove that.

grog

As ive said b4, if only it had OBD2 connection. Thinking about it, they shouldve, was mandatory on cars from 2000. Suxuki failure.

Hooli

Will14

I noticed that the font discs had what looked like a black grease on them, took the pads out & I think it was the cheapo copper slip which seems to have gone like slime off the back of the pads!cleaned up both pads & discs and put back in, bled the front brakes while I was at it & they feel much better now surprisingly  :frustrated:

Final check over and clean so ready to go when we get a bit more freedom & better weather, doesn't look to bad for nearly 20 years old I recon (excuse the mess in the garage it's on the list of to do's)

seth

Stripped the forks on the b/r k6 they are going to need re chromed asap but they'll be ok till I get my spare set ready to go in a few weeks .
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

VladTepes

Left mine in the garage today as it is POURING with rain.
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk