News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

horse

Agreed, has the primary purpose of isolation from the constant white noise in the less interesting part of the block also comes in handy for repairs to the toys , decent shed is definitely a priority Especially as we are in our 1st lockdown in 10 months. "working" from home will definitely get the service schedule back on track,
Horse,
Change is easy improvement somewhat more difficult :Dr Porsche

Hooli

Well I took it out for wee toddle today, felt good to be out again even if I was riding past flooded fields that were all frozen so it was a little brisk.

I think the oil sensor has sorted it, it's running a lot smoother than feels nicer. Needs the throttles balancing badly & I think a front brake piston has stuck while parked up. But it's definitely a move in the right direction.

DP1400

Nice one Hooli  :onya:- mind you I can`t understand why you`re having such `niggly` problems with such a `low miler`.... :confused1:!

Incidentally, which is the power station in the far right distance in your pic?

Hooli

Quote from: DP1400 on Monday, 01 February  2021, 05:44 AM
Nice one Hooli  :onya:- mind you I can`t understand why you`re having such `niggly` problems with such a `low miler`.... :confused1:!
Nor me, i hope it isn't a sign of things to come & it getting needy once totally run in.

Quote from: DP1400 on Monday, 01 February  2021, 05:44 AM
Incidentally, which is the power station in the far right distance in your pic?

Drax, taken from just here https://goo.gl/maps/VqXwfKotXZSbBgwB8

DP1400

Drax eh, the big one! I spent many a day as a kid 'spotting' MGR coal trains entering and leaving that site. Awesome place!  :cheers:

GSXKING

Quote from: grog on Saturday, 23 January  2021, 05:05 PM
GSX, perfect day for it. Not for the accident blokes. Unreal roads up that way. My Son used to live Canungra so have had many trips around there. I saw a head on opposite way, he just didnt make corner and head on into rock cliff on lhs. Front wheel was almost at back wheel. Does the road back near Hinze Dam, Raceway, still exist. That was a test of courage.

Yes @grog it's still there but heavily Policed (Revenue raising) and speed limit signs keep getting reduced most of it is 60kmh now.  :whatever: :whatever:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

grog

Thanks for reply GSX, what a waste. Was a truely amazing bit of road.

Hooli

I rebuilt my front brakes today, it was that time of year. The usual two stuck pistons at the top as always. Unfortunately I've run out of brake fluid so they aren't bled yet, but as the forecast is rain later & then four days of snow there's no mad rush to do so.

Surprisingly this year the bolts holding the calipers together came undone, they've refused to for a couple of years. I'd sprayed a bit of on the backs of them now & then over the last year or so & gave each one a tap with a metal rod & hammer before trying to undo them. They came out like they'd be put in 5mins ago, bloody things.

Hooli

I've been & got some fluid, the brakes are now bled. Plus the throttles are balanced & a guessimation of adjustment on the fast idle screw.

As I had to leave it for a bit & they are normally an utter twat to bleed I tried gravity bleeding them while I went out. That made it so easy I think it's the way I'll do it every time now. I just filled the reservoir, cracked the bleed nipples about 1/4 turn & left it for an hour or so. Then when I got back with fluid it was nice and quick to bleed by pumping the lever & doing each bleed nipple in turn. Normally you have to fight it for about 30mins to get the air out the master cylinder.

grog

Well done Hooli. Gravity bleed worked well over the years, all sorts of vehicles. Bloody old Kombis, jack one end up, leave o/night. Next day jack other end for o/night. I now have vac bleeder, hook up air line and suck. Brilliant invention. Just did bike, 10 mins for both ends. Works well on cars also, never need to pump lever or pedal. I like easy.

Hooli

I've been working slowly on my other bike today. I've got the cases together but annoying had to stop because the gasket kit doesn't contain oil seals (I thought it would so didn't ask, my mistake) and because I've lost the special tool to lock the crack at TDC so I can't time the cams up.

I would have fitted the pistons & barrels but I've not cleaned & repainted the barrels yet as it's been too cold to paint them outside & I don't fancy the kitchen smelling of it.

Have a few pics anyway, the rags tied around the conrods are so they don't clank against the crankcase throat and get dings in.

Notty

The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Hooli

Today I mostly swore at my 14.

When I put it away after working on it the other week, it was running fine & ready to do. Get it out the garage today & it's running on two cylinders and one of the oil cooler pipes has split. Sometimes I really think it's doing it deliberately to annoy me.

I've put it back in disgust & I shall ignore it until I get replacement pipes. It's the actual pipe part rather than the flexi section so it looks like I'll have to replace it. As one side is gone I'd best do both as they've both been covered in as much salt as each other over the years.

As for the misfire, no idea. I'll worry about that when the oil stays in.

Globalrider

Maybe if you ignore it for another week Hooli I'll fix itsselva!

:boogie:
Stan
I need to go somewhere I've not been but won't know until I get there!

seth

Standard oil cooler hoses ?
I have a set if you want them.
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk