Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

Well I've sorted the damaged wire. About half the strands had broke but no length lost. I checked solder stuck to it after issues on cars occasionally that appear to be made of solder proof wire, I then cut it, soldered a neat join, heat shrunk it and replaced the loom tape. Should be good as new now.

I'm still thinking about the cable as there is no way I'm paying £60 for a daft little part like that.

Will14

Quote from: Hooli on Monday, 25 January  2021, 04:18 AM
Well I've sorted the damaged wire. About half the strands had broke but no length lost. I checked solder stuck to it after issues on cars occasionally that appear to be made of solder proof wire, I then cut it, soldered a neat join, heat shrunk it and replaced the loom tape. Should be good as new now.

I'm still thinking about the cable as there is no way I'm paying £60 for a daft little part like that.

I can't recall off the top of my head how the cable is fixed to the linkage, but possibly do away with the cable and use some 1/4" threaded bar with washer and nyloc nut and the same the other end drilling a hole through the adjuster knob?

Hooli

Quote from: Will14 on Monday, 25 January  2021, 04:45 AM
Quote from: Hooli on Monday, 25 January  2021, 04:18 AM

I can't recall off the top of my head how the cable is fixed to the linkage, but possibly do away with the cable and use some 1/4" threaded bar with washer and nyloc nut and the same the other end drilling a hole through the adjuster knob?

I get your theory but I don't think there is room. This is how it looks once it's off, I think a tiny hole cross drilled in a couple of places & araldite would do it. The holes will give it more to grip to as the inside the end is smooth.

That's an 8mm open ended spanner for scale.

seth

only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Will14

Yeh seeing the full thing first thing I thought was to try brazing it, and maybe a blob on the other end as well - but I'm sure araldite would hold as well, it's not like the cable needs using very often

Hooli

I thought that but I can't braze.

I have however been offered a free one on FB, so this can go in the junk to maybe fix one day pile & be forgotten about.

seth

Fit the replacement
Send the broken parts to me I'll braze all back together and then they'll always be a spare kicking about . :cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Hooli

Quote from: seth on Monday, 25 January  2021, 08:40 AM
Fit the replacement
Send the broken parts to me I'll braze all back together and then they'll always be a spare kicking about . :cheers:

Sounds a good plan, PM your addy & I'll shove it in a jiffy bag.

Thanks.

grog

Hooli, youre good at repairs. Brazing you should have a go at. Much more fun than welding. Sort of like just colouring in. Clean metal, lots of flux, correct heat, just let it flow. I hate welding, can do it.electric welding that is. I enjoy using a torch, either bronze or steel wire. I have stuff i brazed 40 yrs ago, tools etc. Its bloody strong.

Hooli

I need a decent workshop first really, it's either a leaky drafty garage or done in my kitchen at the moment.

Hooli

To update all this.

I put the throttle bodies back on today with the new idle adjuster fitted. It still had a cold idle of about 3k rpm, so as I knew everything else was ok this time I did exactly what the manual says not to do & adjusted the fast idle screw till it was about right.

It drops to normal idle within a couple of mins of starting, which feels about right. With the old faulty oil temp sensor it took about 5mins of riding to do so. The throttles need balancing as I can hear it's rough at idle, but that can wait till it's a bit warmer.

I also stripped cleaned & refitted the brakes on a friend's Hornet 600 today, so figured 4 hours working outside in 3-4c temps was enough.

Oh & I hate fitting throttle cables, it's an utter sod to get them in place around the throttle quadrant properly & then just as much of a git to reconnect them to the quadrant. My fingers don't fit in the gaps you've got to work on the things.

grog

No wonder your fingers dont work, 3 degrees. Its a good temp for beer, thats about all.

Kiwifruit

Hooli you poor bugger, 3 degrees thats certainly testing your dedication.
We are certainly blessed with our climate down under. Luckily most houses here having some sort of shed or garage.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Hooli

I've got a garage but it leaks & the lighting is poor so most things are easier outside. Plus I've got a friends bike here so there is less room than normal indoors.

Hence why I'm slowly building the Bonnie in the kitchen.

grog

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk