News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

Quote from: Notty on Wednesday, 12 August  2020, 09:44 PM
My VW Tiguan is 100% accurate compared to my GPS - how do they get it that spot on?   :bugga:

Legally speedos can underread, but they can overread by upto 10%. Most companies go for about 5% to ensure they are legal as different tyres/loads/tyre wear/etc affect the reading.

Dusty ST

I was wondering... does a bike speedo over read when cornering as it's on a smaller radius part of the tyre?  :confused1:
too much time on my hands  :whatever:
'02 GSX1400 K2
'08 1050 Sprint ST (RIP :( )
'17 1050 Tiger Sport

northern

My VW Tiguan is 100% accurate compared to my GPS - how do they get it that spot on?   :bugga:
Skoda Superb is almost 100% accurate, but I'm running 1 size higher tires. Standart for R17 was 225/45 and mine are 225/50

Hooli

Quote from: Dusty ST on Wednesday, 12 August  2020, 11:10 PM
I was wondering... does a bike speedo over read when cornering as it's on a smaller radius part of the tyre?  :confused1:

It should yeah, no idea what the percentage difference would be though.

Blubber

Quote from: Hooli on Wednesday, 12 August  2020, 06:27 PM
I think mine was about 8% fast as standard, probably depends on tyres as much as anything.

Odd thing is that the mileage was spot on, so the speedo error was deliberate.

Had a similar thing: i set up a previous project with a speedohealer and my mileage was perfect : single travel distance 37.2km via maps, tomtom , car and other bikes. I knew i was spot on...alas..
Speedo was showing under. Cops didn't believe me and according to their footage i was doing 140kph were 120 was allowed. Sadly no warning
Wreck-it Richard - one of the unDutchables

Irish in Oz

Quote from: Hooli on Wednesday, 12 August  2020, 11:23 PM
Quote from: Dusty ST on Wednesday, 12 August  2020, 11:10 PM

It should yeah, no idea what the percentage difference would be though.

It depends on what speed you are doing, Pirelli measure the tyre profile at 230kph, throw that into the equation.

Irish in Oz

They probably used your GPS to calibrate your VW.

Irish in Oz

Quote from: seth on Wednesday, 12 August  2020, 10:01 PM
@Notty our tiguan reads 64mph with the GPS at 70mph on the Speedo so the car sits @74mph which according to the GPS is 69mph on 70mph roads .

You probably need to paint your brake calipers with the same coating that Notty used.

Notty

Quote from: Irish in Oz on Thursday, 13 August  2020, 07:26 AM
Quote from: seth on Wednesday, 12 August  2020, 10:01 PM
@Notty our tiguan reads 64mph with the GPS at 70mph on the Speedo so the car sits @74mph which according to the GPS is 69mph on 70mph roads .

You probably need to paint your brake calipers with the same coating that Notty used.
We all know colour can make you go quicker !!  :rofl2:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

northern

Sold my bike ...

Relax, not 14 :), but Triumph Tiger 800.
Reason - had a test ride on Tiger 900...
800 is good bike, but 900 have better engine sound  :cheesy:

So I take a quotation for 900, was ready to trade in my 800, but parallel put it on market, with quite a high price. And it's a miracle, just in few days, I had a buyer, who purchase a bike just looking and sitting on it (without test-ride), and even pay whole amount, while he will collect bike only next week. 800 is first time I'm getting for bike more, then I pay year ago  :confused1:

Tiger 900 is in high demand, so closest I could get it will be probably October, so I decided to wait until next spring (we usually do not ride motorcycles November till March, early Aprill).
So until then, 14 is my only motorcycle.
Other's my come and go - 14 should stay as long as possible. Hope what forever :)

Irish in Oz

Good to see you have proper tyres on the Tiger, not the sports one's most put on.

northern

Quote from: Irish in Oz on Saturday, 15 August  2020, 07:45 AM
Good to see you have proper tyres on the Tiger, not the sports one's most put on.
Road tyres would not work for me 😉

grog

Funnily it works other way as well.Very twisted sports bike roads around here. A group of blokes fit sticky tyres to trail bikes, Teneres etc, Just to upset the mega dollar Ducati, MV,Aprillia riders who come here to prove their multi dollar outlay. I think the trail bikes often win in the corners, tight roads etc. Apparently the Dainese leathers get quite upset.  :laugh: 

gsxbarmy

Quote from: northern on Saturday, 15 August  2020, 06:08 AM
Sold my bike ...

Relax, not 14 :), but Triumph Tiger 800.
Reason - had a test ride on Tiger 900...
800 is good bike, but 900 have better engine sound  :cheesy:

So I take a quotation for 900, was ready to trade in my 800, but parallel put it on market, with quite a high price. And it's a miracle, just in few days, I had a buyer, who purchase a bike just looking and sitting on it (without test-ride), and even pay whole amount, while he will collect bike only next week. 800 is first time I'm getting for bike more, then I pay year ago  :confused1:

Tiger 900 is in high demand, so closest I could get it will be probably October, so I decided to wait until next spring (we usually do not ride motorcycles November till March, early Aprill).
So until then, 14 is my only motorcycle.
Other's my come and go - 14 should stay as long as possible. Hope what forever :)

October? In the UK, earliest date for delivery of a 900 is November/December at present and that's if you order now
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Taniwha

Quote from: grog on Saturday, 15 August  2020, 06:36 PM
Funnily it works other way as well.Very twisted sports bike roads around here. A group of blokes fit sticky tyres to trail bikes, Teneres etc, Just to upset the mega dollar Ducati, MV,Aprillia riders who come here to prove their multi dollar outlay. I think the trail bikes often win in the corners, tight roads etc. Apparently the Dainese leathers get quite upset.  :laugh:

I did that with my DR650. Had some motard rims laced to my hubs, wrapped em in Diablo Corsas and took to the twisties hunting sportsbikes.

The butthurt rage pouring off these guys after being overtaken on the outside of a corner by a single cylinder two wheeled tractor was only worsened when I'd do the same trick on the inside line.  :rofl2: Especially when I'd dig up a P plate to really piss them off!
K7 B&W, '84 GPZ550, '12 ZX2,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk