News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona

By eck Geoff ,you was quick on them,thought about them mesen for my cupboard.

Notty

The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

gsxbarmy

Quote from: KiwiCol on Thursday, 30 July  2020, 03:47 AM
Mrs Barmy is giving you grief yet she jumps out of aeroplanes?   :rofl2:

Mate, I'm always in the doghouse LOL
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Hooli

I found my missing MPG a few days ago.

My 14 had decided to do low 30s MPG when ridden slowly rather than the mid 40s it always used to do. To make it odder, ridden properly it was doing the same MPG as previously. Not a problem you'd think but 80-90mph was still 'slow' as far as the increased consumption goes.

Anyway, working through it I knew it was only under 4k rpm or so. Which pointed to MAP sensor or secondary throttles, so I started working through them. I'd checked the vacuum pipes & so on, not expecting issues as I'd replaced them last winter. Then I reset both TPS after balancing the throttles, that made things much worse...

Anyway to cut it short I hadn't had to adjust the TPS, just the SPS, to get the resistance right. So I tweaked it a bit the other way, no idea on values I just turned it about 1/16" anti-clockwise. That fixed it & my MPG is back.

I can only think that the secondaries were opening a little late making it rich when running like that. I know when it was originally dyno'd centuries ago I'd never set the SPS so it was probably setup like that, at least I know now.

Mick_J

Picked up a puncture in my front tyre the day before yesterday which was perfect timing as I was going to change the tyres anyway.  So yesterday I put the bike up on the work bench and removed both wheels and replaced my worn out Contimotion's with nice new Avon Storm's in 120/70 front and 190/55 rear, also fitted 90 degree valves while I was at it.  Then I stripped cleaned and flushed the brakes, rebalanced the wheels and put it all back together, just got to give it a test run now.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

grog

Today, not by choice, i bought a headlight for a 2015 Honda Accord. Had a work accident, battery hit lens so lightly as i was lifting it in, popped a 50mm hole in lens. Only available new, LED, Retail is $1836. Didnt really help my day to be totally ripped by stupid Honda price. Yes, there is work insurance, claim is not much cheaper and puts premiums up. Yes lens available from China, $70 for two. Wont go there as who knows quality. Not a great start to the week.

steve porter

Quote from: grog on Monday, 10 August  2020, 07:11 PM
Today, not by choice, i bought a headlight for a 2015 Honda Accord. Had a work accident, battery hit lens so lightly as i was lifting it in, popped a 50mm hole in lens. Only available new, LED, Retail is $1836. Didnt really help my day to be totally ripped by stupid Honda price. Yes, there is work insurance, claim is not much cheaper and puts premiums up. Yes lens available from China, $70 for two. Wont go there as who knows quality. Not a great start to the week.
Ouch, panel beater friend told me that He replaced some Aston headlights at 4K plus each, don't remember the model, but bloody hell what was wrong with round ones

Hooli

Aston prices are brilliant examples of how to make money on spares.

Years ago I knew of someone rebuilding a Jag XJ40 engine, the only place who still did bigends for the AJ6 at the time was Aston as they used the lump too. I forget the price, but it was something utterly stupid with way too many zeros on the end.

Dusty ST

Took it out for the first time this year, trying out all my lock down fettling...
New chain and sprockets, new sprocket bearing, new clutch slave cylinder, clutch hydraulic line, oil, filter, and probably a couple of other thing's I forgot.
Feels really good back on standard gearing, previous owner had it +4 on the back, -1 front!
Just need to figure out how to re calibrate the speedo, using the yellow box...
This looks useful:
http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/images/ybyellowbox.jpg

I did try guessing  :rofl2:
'02 GSX1400 K2
'08 1050 Sprint ST (RIP :( )
'17 1050 Tiger Sport

Hooli

KiwiCol

@Dusty ST  about 5.5% - 6% (with std gearing) would be pretty close in most cases to get the real speed showing (when compared to GPS)
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Dusty ST

Quote from: Hooli on Tuesday, 11 August  2020, 09:36 PM
If you're on standard gearing then just unplug it?

Yes, that was my original plan, but it's been cut into the loom and re-wrapped, easier to leave it in and set it up.

Quote from: KiwiCol on Wednesday, 12 August  2020, 03:17 AM
@Dusty ST  about 5.5% - 6% (with std gearing) would be pretty close in most cases to get the real speed showing (when compared to GPS)

OK, I'll give that ago, now I know what the DIP switches do - most significantly switch no.1 which reverses speed loss or gain I can get pretty close.
I tried 3% and raised it to 4% yesterday evening which was pretty close, I'd guess you're suggestion 5-6% will be about right.

Took it out yesterday evening for fish and chips, the other guys (on S1000R, ZZR14, MT10) were well impressed when I showed them I could stow my fish and chips under the seat along with a bottle of ketchup to ride to the beach  :onya:

'02 GSX1400 K2
'08 1050 Sprint ST (RIP :( )
'17 1050 Tiger Sport

Hooli

I think mine was about 8% fast as standard, probably depends on tyres as much as anything.

Odd thing is that the mileage was spot on, so the speedo error was deliberate.

Notty

My VW Tiguan is 100% accurate compared to my GPS - how do they get it that spot on?   :bugga:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

seth

@Notty our tiguan reads 64mph with the GPS at 70mph on the Speedo so the car sits @74mph which according to the GPS is 69mph on 70mph roads .
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk