News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Notty

The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Notty on Friday, 17 July  2020, 06:29 AM
Washed the 14 with no water - Meguiar's Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax Anywhere as recommended by Barmy - cheers Dave absolute brilliant stuff  :)

Looks ace Geoff, good job!  :onya: :clapping:
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

grog

Today was major clean the bike day. Every place i could find. Big scrub of the motor, ct18 and mag wheel brush does a good job. Tomorrow will spray motor with the last of my S100, too expensive to get now in Oz. Next time will have to get the Harley Engine Brightener. Just sitting with a beer, checking for any missed bits, she looks good.

Irish in Oz

@grog
I don't mind the old CT18 myself, usually buy in 20 ltr drums when on special at Supercheap.

Eric GSX1400K3

Finished the head stem bearing replacememt, ended up pressing the lower one one with a 20t workshop press.  All back together now, tomorrows a cleaning day then a ride if it stops raining.  Took the opportunity to clean up a lot of the frame underside of the tank and front end, as it was all out anyway.  Steering feels so much  better now.  Set the forks back to std height, i had them at +3mm out of the top yoke, will see how it goes.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

rollerfish01

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Sunday, 19 July  2020, 12:36 AM
Finished the head stem bearing replacememt, ended up pressing the lower one one with a 20t workshop press....

Hi Eric GSX1400K3, do you think it can be done by using only hand tools ? because I want to replace the bearing too...
Thanks !

Eric GSX1400K3

Hi,

Unless you've got the right size pipe or mandrel to fit over the head stem and onto the inner race of the new bearing, then no. A workshop press is your friend here.  We ended up machining a spacer to fit as the head stem is tapered where it seats the bearing. Last  thing you want is jamming your tool onto the  head stem as well.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

V_i_c_i

I done it without press with no problem.... Most dificult is get out old bearings. For that i made tool from old motorhead valve. Great tool with hammer.  :hat: Here you have photo...

https://www.motorkari.cz/motorka/?mid=68345&act=moto-denik-detail&ddid=58745

E: First two photos....

Irish in Oz

Eric GSX1400K3

Getting the old ones out was not really an issue, prybar for the lower outer race, socket on extension bar for the upper.

Issue i had is fitting the new inner race of the lower taper onto the head stem.  Went really well with a simple workshop press and 5min on the lathe to machine a suitable hollow mandrell from a piece of pipe.

Rest is just reassembly , taking note of correct torque settings for triple clamps,  head stem nut and front axle and brake calipers.

T 24

Quote from: rollerfish01 on Monday, 20 July  2020, 09:23 PM
Finished the head stem bearing replacememt, ended up pressing the lower one one with a 20t workshop press....

Hi Eric GSX1400K3, do you think it can be done by using only hand tools ? because I want to replace the bearing too...
Thanks !
It's quite easy work with hand tools.
You can use your brains instead of force :stir: :stir:
Play with temperatures :boogie2:

mlivkovich

Speaking of temperatures....
Bearing race spent night in freezer and it just came in with just few taps of hammer.
Hairdryer installation saves time and nerves :cheers:

Kiwifruit

Mate used to put crankcase in the oven and bearings in the freezer.
He chose certain times to do that.... :wife:
I use the old outer race of the bearing split with a 1mm cut off disc to knock the new bearing in if need be. Works well.
Love the hair dryer assembly mliv  :clapping:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Irish in Oz

Quote from: T 24 on Thursday, 23 July  2020, 03:26 AM
Quote from: rollerfish01 on Monday, 20 July  2020, 09:23 PM

Thanks !
It's quite easy work with hand tools.
You can use your brains instead of force :stir: :stir:

Do you need to use the freezer in Finland.

Eric GSX1400K3

Tried that too, bearing in the oven (timing had to be right....) headstem in the freezer, wouldnt go on.

Anyhoo, all sorted now, steering is all smooth again

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk