News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Del

Quote from: northern on Sunday, 19 April  2020, 05:53 PM
Will wait, until they will cure compleatly, will try to polish out some imperfections (or keep it as it is). Also, I do not have yet new magneto cover gasket (ordered).

I cure my paint work in teh oven - set it low about 60 degrees and then sit in the oven for as long as you can get away with
All Lives Matter
...until you multiply them by the speed of light squared. Then all lives energy.

A 'feuchainn gu cruaidh gus fuck a thoirt seachad - ach gu mì-fhortanach a' fàilligeadh

northern

Quote from: Del on Monday, 20 April  2020, 02:36 AM
I cure my paint work in teh oven - set it low about 60 degrees and then sit in the oven for as long as you can get away with
Teh oven or IR heater would be grate, but I do not have them. And Mrs. Northern will not appreciate, if I cook motorcycle parts in out kitchen :)

Today I take a look on parts - they are dry, but I will wait for few days, before I will start wet sanding (1500 or even 2000 grid).
This time I was using Spray Max clear 2K clear coat: https://www.spraymax.com/en/products/product/clear-coats-and-spot-blender/2k-clear-coat/
It was easy to apply and I'm pretty happy with what I get for ~17€. To compare, in my area, 2K clear coat in aerosol can cost normally ~24€ (400ml).

Before that, I was testing this product https://www.car-rep.fi/en/front-page/products/car-rep/2k-spraypaints/cr20000332/spraypaint-car-rep-2k-lacquer-gloss-500ml#products-content.
Choose it based on youtube advertisement. Theory is good, and I'm sure there is applications where it's perfect, but even after a 1.5 week, clear coat was not cured complacently! 24 hours after applying wet on wet, my fingerprints were left on painted parts :(
I keep only one part as it was, and now, after 2 months, I can consider it 100% cured :)

From this perspective, regular 2K rattlecan clear coat is much better.

steve porter

Ducati heads in kitchen oven to do valve guides, 1st time I asked and she could smell it for weeks. 2.nd time I got caught and she could smell it for weeks . At least 5 more times I ninja'd them in and out without leaving a trace and she had NFI

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: steve porter on Monday, 20 April  2020, 08:22 AM
Ducati heads in kitchen oven to do valve guides, 1st time I asked and she could smell it for weeks. 2.nd time I got caught and she could smell it for weeks . At least 5 more times I ninja'd them in and out without leaving a trace and she had NFI
A mate of mine restores 1970s honda 2 strokes.  He puts the engine casings, heads etc in the dishwasher to fully clean them out before having them remachined etc.  Now i know why he's not married.... not sure what modern dishwasher detergent would do to alloy cylinder heads and engine casings....
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

steve porter

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Monday, 20 April  2020, 12:59 PM
Quote from: steve porter on Monday, 20 April  2020, 08:22 AM
A mate of mine restores 1970s honda 2 strokes.  He puts the engine casings, heads etc in the dishwasher to fully clean them out before having them remachined etc.  Now i know why he's not married.... not sure what modern dishwasher detergent would do to alloy cylinder heads and engine casings....
turns them white, you have to hit them with WD 40  or similar while they are still warm and let it soak in

Johno

I put the cannon back on the bike and entered it in the virtual show and shine on the VJMC website.

Only bike in the 2000 to 2005 category so far.

Johno

GSX1400 K5 now sold
1981 GS1000G

Hooli

But there is no such thing as vintage Jap bike & 14s are still new?

Kiwifruit

Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Irish in Oz

Quote from: Johno on Monday, 20 April  2020, 04:42 PM
I put the cannon back on the bike and entered it in the virtual show and shine on the VJMC website.

Front discs not standard.

Johno

Quote from: Irish in Oz on Tuesday, 21 April  2020, 06:06 AM
Quote from: Johno on Monday, 20 April  2020, 04:42 PM

Front discs not standard.

I noticed that you have not voted for me yet.
Johno

GSX1400 K5 now sold
1981 GS1000G

Irish in Oz

You know I'm an anorak.

I can't enter as all my photo's are over one year old.

Irish in Oz

Oh just realised you now have competition as the Bandit will slide into the same category, but I give you a chance and not enter.

DP1400

Not sure how a `14 fits the bill in terms of a vintage motorcycle? Well not yet anyway!

Although there is no official specific definition of either `Classic` or `Vintage` in motorcycle terms, (except in the USA I believe), it is generally accepted that to claim either terminology for your bike it needs to be 25yrs old or older. Most UK insurance companies accept the 25 year `rule`too. :whistling:

Hooli

To be awkward there, mine's been insured as a 'modern classic' for years as it's over 10.

Irish in Oz

Taken from the club website.

VINTAGE JAPANESE MOTORCYCLE CLUB - AUSTRALIA
Welcome to the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club (VJMC) - Australia.

The VJMC is a worldwide club with four separate branches; Australia, New Zealand, North America and the United Kingdom. All VJMC branches have the common aims of fostering the restoration and riding of older model Japanese Motorcycles. Some enthusiasts are members of more than one branch of the VJMC.

The VJMC in Australia is a not-for-profit, community association operated by a committee of volunteers in an informal and friendly manner. Our primary objective is one of fostering the preservation, restoration, riding and enjoyment of ownership of Japanese motorcycles more than 15 years old. There is no requirement to own a motor cycle and the club welcomes any rider to it's events whether on a vintage Japanese motorcycle or not. The club caters for families where possible by offering a family membership.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk