Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty ST

Following on from replacing chain and sprockets, I thought while I'm there I'd fit a new clutch hose, and take a look at the slave cylinder, not leaking, but as I have a seal service kit on the shelf...
Here's what I found under the cover... new cylinder on order!

'02 GSX1400 K2
'08 1050 Sprint ST (RIP :( )
'17 1050 Tiger Sport

GSXKING

OMFG :devil: how do they get like that ? Is it abuse or neglect. You have your work cut out for you mate  :notworthy: :notworthy:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Andre

Quote from: GSXKING on Wednesday, 15 April  2020, 08:11 PM
OMFG :devil: how do they get like that ? Is it abuse or neglect. You have your work cut out for you mate  :notworthy: :notworthy:

As he lives in Brighton (coast) the salty air is nasty to metal. Knowing that, one has to be particularly vigilant to prevent rust and corrosion. If you are not after it often you get results as above. In short: it is neglect :cheers:

Dusty ST

Quote from: Andre on Wednesday, 15 April  2020, 08:29 PM
Quote from: GSXKING on Wednesday, 15 April  2020, 08:11 PM

As he lives in Brighton (coast) the salty air is nasty to metal. Knowing that, one has to be particularly vigilant to prevent rust and corrosion. If you are not after it often you get results as above. In short: it is neglect :cheers:

The original owner used the bike every day, all year.
It's a 2001 K2, with 52k miles, and is in pretty good nick I've had it 6 years, but never suspected this sort of thing going on!
I only had it in bits because I thought it was time to change the near 20 year old hydraulic hose and replace the seals in the cylinder, not because it was leaking or any problem.
I'm wondering if the Hayabusa seal mod would have prevented all the crud build up?
I'm also wondering if the seal service kit includes the Hayabusa seal as it's a multi bike kit similar to this (I'm thinking the middle seal in the epicture?):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSX-1400-BN1111-2007-Clutch-Slave-Cylinder-Repair-Kit/142862751781?hash=item2143489825:g:J~sAAOSwQmpbK6T2
'02 GSX1400 K2
'08 1050 Sprint ST (RIP :( )
'17 1050 Tiger Sport

Hooli

Mine was like that with about double the mileage when I first opened it. The actual cylinder & piston was fine so I just cleaned it up & put it back.

northern

Haven't posting anything for a long time. Now, there is a reason:
decided to repaint engine side-covers.

Paint stripper and epoxy primer on some of them today. Clutch cover will be primered tomorrow. If everything will go OK, metallic paint and 2k clear coat on weekend.

Will14

Not today but over the last couple of days I have, stripped, cleaned & reassembled the rear brake caliper & while the back wheel was out gave the chain & swing arm a good clean. Did the ignition advancer back plate modification. Removed the pairs system which is now in a box with another two that I have removed from previous 1400's, made the pairs blanking plates from a bit of thin checker plate that I found & found a couple of caps that pushed nicely into the original pairs caps & just to be sure these don't come out they are now held in with some silicone sealant & bolt with PTFE tape is sealing the air box. Adjusted the throttle cable play which now feels much better & sharper & last but not least did the throttle reset procedure, after doing this and previously balancing the throttle bodies and adjusting the TPS & STPS the cold start seems much better, after starting initially at 1800 rpm then dropping to approx 1500 rpm after a few seconds then down to normal idle after approx 20 seconds all seems good

Trouble is now I am running out of things to do and another possible three weeks off work, gutted the man cave today so I may remove the swing arm & check re-grease the bearings next week, & possibly the steering bearings apart from these the bike has been pretty much totally blitzed

Not the best but a couple of pics I took yesterday while admiring the view  :)

northern

So, base and 2K clear coat applied.
I asked to mix for me custom black paint, adding Suzuki blue sparkles: depending of light and angle, it sparkles differently.
Have no idea, how it will be looking when it will dry, but it looked quite good when it's still kind of wet.

Notty

Quote from: northern on Sunday, 19 April  2020, 02:43 AM
So, base and 2K clear coat applied.
I asked to mix for me custom black paint, adding Suzuki blue sparkles: depending of light and angle, it sparkles differently.
Have no idea, how it will be looking when it will dry, but it looked quite good when it's still kind of wet.
Wow they look good  :)
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

KiwiCol

Lovely coating, I reckon Barmy would approve, great shine.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

gsxbarmy

Quote from: KiwiCol on Sunday, 19 April  2020, 06:51 AM
Lovely coating, I reckon Barmy would approve, great shine.

Most definitely approve, they look great!
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

grog

Northern, very nice. Look forward to pics refitted.

northern

Thank you!

Quote from: grog on Sunday, 19 April  2020, 05:23 PM
Will wait, until they will cure compleatly, will try to polish out some imperfections (or keep it as it is). Also, I do not have yet new magneto cover gasket (ordered).

Buy I will definitely post results here.

steve porter

Quote from: northern on Sunday, 19 April  2020, 05:53 PM
Thank you!

Quote from: grog on Sunday, 19 April  2020, 05:23 PM
They look so good it may be worth putting a strip of Paint Protection Film on the front, would be a shame for them to get stone chipped
Will wait, until they will cure compleatly, will try to polish out some imperfections (or keep it as it is). Also, I do not have yet new magneto cover gasket (ordered).

Buy I will definitely post results here.

northern

Quote from: steve porter on Sunday, 19 April  2020, 06:48 PM
They look so good it may be worth putting a strip of Paint Protection Film on the front, would be a shame for them to get stone chipped
Not a bad idea. I have some slices left from my experiments of making thin tankpad (unsuccessful). Will give a try, before I will install parts on a bike.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk