News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve porter

Took an inadvertent Bullet for the team yesterday, bike wouldn't start after being parked at Phillip Island for 3.5 hours, shocked and stunned as the battery is newish and good.Jumped it with a borrowed lithium jump starter.The only thing I could think of being the cause is that I had mistakenly turned the key to park instead of just lock,but wasn't sure.I left the bike unplugged from the trickle charger overnight and it was 12.7 v this morning and started the bike 6 times in a row. So to test the theory I put the bike in park and set my timer for 3.5 hours and sure enough the battery went from 12.7 to 9.9 and wouldn't turn it over .1st hour it went down to 12.2, 2nd hour to 11.5 .

KiwiCol

😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

VladTepes

Steve you scienced the shit out of that one!  :onya:

I didn't do anything to my bike today... but I did drop it at Teufel's place on Sat'dy. :)
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

steve porter

Quote from: VladTepes on Monday, 09 March  2020, 06:12 PM
Steve you scienced the shit out of that one!  :onya:

I didn't do anything to my bike today... but I did drop it at Teufel's place on Sat'dy. :)
I just didn't want to get stuck again not knowing if it was the battery or me that was FKD

steve porter

Oh, and I googled the shit out of lithium jumpstarters and ordered one that will cover all our vehicles today, first time using one and was very impressed, I had rung the RACV and even though I am covered no matter what I am driving/ riding , they would tow the bike,but not jumpstart it

grog

Steve, thats pretty much on par for our tiny little batteries going flat. 12 or 14 amp hour drained by around 3 or 4 amps. Which jump starter did you buy?

steve porter

Quote from: grog on Monday, 09 March  2020, 07:32 PM
Steve, thats pretty much on par for our tiny little batteries going flat. 12 or 14 amp hour drained by around 3 or 4 amps. Which jump starter did you buy?

Suaoki U28

The brains trust of knowalls were all convinced that if I had left it on that it wouldn't have totally flattened it in that time, hence the test

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: steve porter on Monday, 09 March  2020, 05:13 PM
Took an inadvertent Bullet for the team yesterday, bike wouldn't start after being parked at Phillip Island for 3.5 hours, shocked and stunned as the battery is newish and good.Jumped it with a borrowed lithium jump starter.The only thing I could think of being the cause is that I had mistakenly turned the key to park instead of just lock,but wasn't sure.I left the bike unplugged from the trickle charger overnight and it was 12.7 v this morning and started the bike 6 times in a row. So to test the theory I put the bike in park and set my timer for 3.5 hours and sure enough the battery went from 12.7 to 9.9 and wouldn't turn it over .1st hour it went down to 12.2, 2nd hour to 11.5 .

Any idea what drained it? Do you have parker globe fitted to the headlight or taillight?  Cant imagine what else it could  be.  The park position should not turn on things like the fuel pump or instrument cluster.  Id be interested to know. Thx.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

steve porter

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Monday, 09 March  2020, 08:51 PM
Quote from: steve porter on Monday, 09 March  2020, 05:13 PM

Any idea what drained it? Do you have parker globe fitted to the headlight or taillight?  Cant imagine what else it could  be.  The park position should not turn on things like the fuel pump or instrument cluster.  Id be interested to know. Thx.
Tail park light, nothing in the headlight

grog

2 x 20 watt tail globes equals 3.3 amps. Divide that into a 12 A/H battery. 3 hrs if lucky.

Eric GSX1400K3

LED tailight is on my wishlist....
Type this into ebay:  143057469763
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

steve porter

Quote from: grog on Monday, 09 March  2020, 09:12 PM
2 x 20 watt tail globes equals 3.3 amps. Divide that into a 12 A/H battery. 3 hrs if lucky.
that's the same as a+b= Steve's a dickhead

Irish in Oz

I think they are 2 times 5W. But I did leave mine on over night and it certainly was flat in the morning. 21W is the brake filament.

Andre

Ignition lock works wonderfully on mine but the real wonder is that I can't set it into park position. Not something I am sad about :boogie:

Eric GSX1400K3

Found the service history for my K3 tonight, thought I'd lost it some time ago.  Learnt the following:

1. Spark plugs changed 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2010 records stop there.  I've owned the bike for 3 years and I've never replaced the plugs, so based on these records, the current plugs are 10 years old!

2. Brake and Clutch  fluid changed in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 - records end there.  I've replaced fluids last months and also when I first bought it.

3. Throttle bodies balanced 2005 / 2006 / 2010 where records end.  I'm about to balance them again once my Morgan Carbtune pro arrives.

4. Regular oil changes, i now change every 12months regardless of km travelled.

5. Front forks rebuilt 2010 and 2012 and I did them again late last year, although they looked like they'd never been done.

6. Chain and sprockets replaced with 17tooth front and 42 tooth rear in 2011, interestingly no record of a new chain at that time.  I have not replaced the chain and sprockets, they actuallly look pretty good, so I think they've been done since 2011, but I replace them again this year.

7. ECU remap / flash tune in 2015.

8. Record for new rear tyre in 2011, I replaced both F and R in January this year.

Early service records are pretty detailed, tapers off around 2011, but this does go some way to explain why my K3 was in such good condition when I bought it with only 34,000 km on the clock.   I've spent a fair bit of time on it as well, including respecting all brake rotors, pads and brake lines, fuel pump mods and all wheel bearings. 

I reckon it was over serviced early on, but right now pretty much at the level I'm happy with for an 18yo naked bike.

Need to replace spark plugs, chain and sprockets, plus balance throttle bodies and sort out my STPA (intermittent C28  fault code).

Thought this might be of interest.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk