News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

I went out for a blast as it's dry for once, proved my 14 although it's knocking on 150k (miles) is still running sweet as it's a lot faster than Moonie's Kwak thing. I didn't think he was trying when I went past him out a roundabout but he says he was  :lol:

I've also noticed I've got the rear tyre down to 3-4mm in 1,700miles! Guess it's not the heavy bike version then, rather glad I got them cheap at that wear rate. The front still looks brand new so I'll get the heavy weight rear when needed as I'm liking how it rides on them.

Hooli

And back to the reality of an old bike this morning, rolled it out the garage to go to work & it had no clutch fluid in.

45 mins later & the slave had been stripped, cleaned, rebuilt, refitted & bled. Seems ok now & the level hasn't dropped on the trip to work & back. I think it just had a bit of dirt under the seal making it drip out overnight. That's the second time I've ever had the slave apart, it was much easier this time as I did it last year & copper slipped bits. Still on the original seals etc though, they look fine so I'll see how it goes.

Notty

Quote from: Hooli on Tuesday, 03 March  2020, 07:21 AM
And back to the reality of an old bike this morning, rolled it out the garage to go to work & it had no clutch fluid in.

45 mins later & the slave had been stripped, cleaned, rebuilt, refitted & bled. Seems ok now & the level hasn't dropped on the trip to work & back. I think it just had a bit of dirt under the seal making it drip out overnight. That's the second time I've ever had the slave apart, it was much easier this time as I did it last year & copper slipped bits. Still on the original seals etc though, they look fine so I'll see how it goes.
I guess in 140K I Will have the same problems !!  :rofl2:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Irish in Oz

Andre

Irish in Oz

That one is out, the next one to the right I can't get a straight centre drill on it because of crossover on pipe, ended up drilling Allen bolt head off, now I can get exhaust off the rest a job for tomorrow.

Hooli

When I had to take mine out years ago one snapped. I drilled it, but didn't get it perfectly straight. Lucky that the bolts used weren't very long & there was a good 1/2" of good thread behind it so I fitted a longer bolt on reassembly to 'fix' it.

steve porter

Quote from: Irish in Oz on Monday, 09 March  2020, 03:52 AM
That one is out, the next one to the right I can't get a straight centre drill on it because of crossover on pipe, ended up drilling Allen bolt head off, now I can get exhaust off the rest a job for tomorrow.
Reassemble with copper grease, shit really works

Snapey

I use a nickel anti seize over the copper grease because of the higher temperature rating.

What bike are you doing Irish?
If you look like your passport photo then you're too sick to travel.

northern

Quote from: Snapey on Monday, 09 March  2020, 06:22 AM
I use a nickel anti seize over the copper grease because of the higher temperature rating.
I stop using copper, because aluminium and copper may cause electrolytic corrosion. Instead, I start use metal free ceramic grease, which also hold higher temperatures.

From the other side, a lot of people continue to use copper grease, without any issue.

mlivkovich

I was lucky when I removed all 8 bolts for the first time without any problem. Honestly, I wasn't even aware of that. But after reading about it and to be on the safe side I used SS studs and nuts and some teflon tape. After that I removed headers for 3-4 times in last 2 years and never had problem! :cheers:

Irish in Oz

@Snapey  It is on the 1200 Bandit.
I'm not sure if the bike originally had bolts or studs, there are Allen key bolts on there now.
I prefer studs myself so will probably go with mlivkovich method, in the past I have used nickel based Never Seize was the brand.

Andre

I dreaded this job for a long time but it went without a hitch. Probably due to some of the great tips on this forum :onya:

Irish in Oz

Just had a look at a downloaded parts manual I have and according to it the originals are bolts.
I have done many of these in the past particularly in the seventies and eighties, depends on how your bike is used as we know the UK winter can take its toll in that area. What I love about Oz is working on old machines and generally everything cracks easily, even brake calipers on cars.

steve porter

Quote from: Snapey on Monday, 09 March  2020, 06:22 AM

What bike are you doing Irish?
I've got that and have used it as well, and yes it does the job, but after 10 years on exhaust studs the copper grease looks exactly like it did on application and the nickel anti seize looks a little dry comparatively, although it does work and either is a good idea

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk