News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

Hooli

I can't see the point in getting a gauge, these bikes don't get hot. The only way I ever get them hot enough to set the fan off is leaving it idling for half hour or sitting stuck in traffic when it's 40c.

Andre

You are contradicting yourself Hooli. :smile2:

The fan never comes on while I am riding. But I don't want it to get there either. Got my reasons.

For me it is not so much getting too hot but not being warm enough to put it through its paces.

Suzuki boi

Thanks lads.
Thought it would be handy to have since there's no temperature gauge on the bike.
Fan actually turned on once for me during one of our summer days (about 20°C here :lol: )

Hooli

Quote from: Andre on Tuesday, 19 November  2019, 06:25 AM
You are contradicting yourself Hooli. :smile2:

In normal use I meant, if anything they tend to run cool most of the year.

If I was fitting one I'd want a way to link it to the fan sensor to get an accurate reading.

Irish in Oz

Quote from: Suzuki boi on Tuesday, 19 November  2019, 07:04 AM
Thanks lads.
Thought it would be handy to have since there's no temperature gauge on the bike.
Fan actually turned on once for me during one of our summer days (about 20°C here :lol: )

They must have a different thermo on UK models, I only had mine come on once in Oz about 38 degrees C and I was in slow traffic jam.

Andre

You do get an accurate reading from the temp-cap. It shows you what the temp is where it is located  :grin:
The engine oil temp sensor also gives an accurate reading for its location. If you put a sensor somewhere else, for example on the cooler hoses or on the cyl. head you will also get an accurate reading for these location. But they will all be different!

The temp-cap is a convenient and cheap solution. Only the simplest math involved to get your acceptable range :)

Andre

Quote from: Irish in Oz on Tuesday, 19 November  2019, 08:18 PM
Quote from: Suzuki boi on Tuesday, 19 November  2019, 07:04 AM
Thanks lads.

They must have a different thermo on UK models, I only had mine come on once in Oz about 38 degrees C and I was in slow traffic jam.

With running engine, a lid on the ears, and who knows what noises in the environment it should be hard to reliably judge if the fan is running or not.

Irish in Oz

To me the most important thing is the fan thermo is actually working so the fan turns on and a gauge isn't going to change that.

Irish in Oz

[/quote]

With running engine, a lid on the ears, and who knows what noises in the environment it should be hard to reliably judge if the fan is running or not.
[/quote]

Maybe my fan has never been on  :whatever:

Hooli

Check if it spins by hand, my original one seized up as it was never on.

I think the two wire multiplug from the front right corner of the engine under the ignition casing is the fan switch. With the ignition on if you bridge the contacts the fan should start too.

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: seth on Sunday, 17 November  2019, 08:38 AM
I'm sure I've seen a replacement flasher relay that replaces the original that's for led indicators so no extra resistors are needed .

See 400407393247 on ebay.au
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

MarkN

Quote from: Andre on Tuesday, 19 November  2019, 04:21 AM
I have one of these. Be aware that the shown temp is differs from the temp-switch for the fan and these temp-caps. On mine it is about 20°C. The fan switches on at 120° while the temp-cap shows 100°. I can't say what the difference for the engine oil temperature sensor (EOTS) is as I have not measured it, but I go by the fan switch difference as that is the temp the makers of the 14 think it necessary to have additional cooling. Fan switches off at 108°

I consider 60-85° on the temp-cap (about 80-105° at the fan switch) to be a good operating temperature. Below or above that I adjust usage of the bike.

Mine came with one of these when I bought it, just a bit of fun I suppose. At the end of the day it's just a gauge not a mega accurate piece of kit, my fan works and that's what I would rely on anyway  :computer_type:   

steve porter

Put this on a couple of weeks ago, but finally got to ride with it on yesterday,after having my seat raised and 30 mm risers to compensate I found I was getting noticeably more blast at speed, I wasnt after a large screen as at 6`4" most screens give me a lot of buffeting, this works pretty well with no buffeting an a noticeable reduction in pressure at up to 140 kph. It worked so well that I was not able to judge my speed as easily.

grog

Steve, what brand is your screen. If it takes off a bit of wind pressure and doesnt direct at helmet, might be interested. I have similar in shed, havent used for years. It takes away chest wind but terrible at helmet and im only a short arse. 175 cm.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk